in2flying

Air Traffic Controller Job

Wed Dec 01, 1999 2:09 pm

All,

I was considering a career change into becoming an Air Traffic Controller and to my dismay I heard that because I am 30 going on 31 years old, I am too old for job.

Can anyone help me here with possible age restrictions and how long the training takes to become a ATC ?

Thanks in advance. I live in South Jersey by the way.

NWA DC-10

RE: Air Traffic Controller Job

Wed Dec 01, 1999 4:49 pm

I know nothing of age restrictions but I do know that training is 4 months and if I remember correctly, it's held in Omaha, NE (I might be wrong on that though). But I do know that like 50% of the students washout and the stress level is beyond belief...

Check out those age restrictions more though, I can't believe that they'd have one because you're not old at all. Hopefully you'll give me ATC instruction someday!!!

Good Luck!

Ben2

Wed Dec 01, 1999 5:18 pm

You had better hurry. Less than 31 years to work at a tower, ARTCC, or TRACON. 31 and over you can work at a FSS. Training is held in Oklahoma City, NE, I believe. Lasts 7 months at the academy and then takes a while to become a certified controller. Lots of on the job training. That is assuming you can even get a chance at taking the civil service exam. I don' think they are offering it right now. I could be wrong. Anyway, go to www.atchome.com for more info. Check out the FAA's website and give them a ring.

OPNLguy

Thu Dec 02, 1999 7:15 am

Might want to also check out the NATCA (union) site.. www.natca.org (I think)
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.