Milwaukee To Become Focus City For NWA

Sun May 11, 2003 2:22 pm

Beginning July 1, NW will add nonstop service to BOS, DCA, LGA, LAS, LAX and MCO from MKE. Flights will operate once daily and complement existing service to DTW, MEM and MSP (the number of flights / size of equipment will not change).

flights to Milwaukee begin July 1 (but do not operate on Saturdays+)
flights from Milwaukee begin July 2 (but do not operate on Sundays+)
+flights to/from Las Vegas and Orlando operate daily
flights to/from BOS, DCA, LGA and LAS operate with A319, flights to/from LAX and MCO with A320

NW0888 departs Milwaukee 7:20AM, arrives Boston 10:35AM
NW0887 departs Boston 7:40PM, arrives Milwaukee 9:15PM

NW0636 departs Milwaukee 7:05AM, arrives Washington-National 10:00AM
NW0637 departs Washington-National 7:30PM, arrives Milwaukee 8:30PM

NW1096 departs Milwaukee 6:30AM, arrives New York-LaGuardia 9:35AM
NW1095 departs New York-LaGuardia 7:40PM, arrives Milwaukee 9:05PM

NW0669 departs Milwaukee 8:30AM, arrives Las Vegas 9:20AM
NW0668 departs Las Vegas 11:10AM, arrives Milwaukee 4:30PM

NW0985 departs Milwaukee 5:45PM, arrives Los Angeles 8:00PM
NW0984 departs Los Angeles 5:30PM, arrives Milwaukee 11:15PM

NW1853 departs Milwaukee 7:00AM, arrives Orlando 10:35AM
NW1852 departs Orlando 6:30PM, arrives Milwaukee 8:15PM

mnsourcer

RE: Milwaukee To Become Focus City For NWA

Sun May 11, 2003 2:24 pm

Is NWA trying to squelch Midwest Airlines? Just a thought as it is their main hub.

Sun May 11, 2003 2:32 pm

NW has tried, unsuccessfully, to build a sizeable operation at MKE in the past (and post-RC merger). This time it appears to be well-orchestrated… it definitely looks like NW hopes to kill off Midwest, which is extremely vulnerable and appears to be looking into a full-service product. NW’s planned expansion has been under review for quite awhile, so this explains the recent termination of the Northwest-Midwest agreement.

mnsourcer

Sun May 11, 2003 2:42 pm

It is a real shame. Midwest is a fine airline to fly with! Great service and all that room. Not too mention those on board baked cookies... ha ha. I suppose, in today's world that will only get you so far. I sure hope that Midwest can make it and NOT completely turn into just another airline.

DCA-ROCguy

Sun May 11, 2003 2:50 pm

Only one nonstop on each route? Business travelers aren't going to like that. Midwest has multiple frequencies on each of those routes. If Northwest wants to kill off Midwest, they're going to have to at least offer two frequencies on the LGA, DCA, LAX and BOS flights. They'd do better with two or three CRJ-200's on each route than one A319 or A320.

MCO and LAS are more leisure-oriented and won't need the frequency to compete.

Northwest probably won't make money on MKE-MCO with AirTran running it, and AirTran's in good financial shape to withstand a predatory pricing assault should NW be so inclined.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

mnsourcer

Sun May 11, 2003 3:00 pm

Was just reading an article that AirTran is stepping up its competition with Midwest as well. Starting non-stop service to BWI on June 2 (I think that was the date). I agree, they (NWA or anyone) need more frequency to be real competition, but with NWA and AirTran nibbling at Midwest's market share, it can't be good.

AroundTheWorld

Sun May 11, 2003 3:50 pm

Hypothetically this would be the end of Midwest....if that becomes fact...anyone think NWA would then turn around and pull out of Milwaukee after devouring Midwest?

ndege

Sun May 11, 2003 4:02 pm

I'd have to wonder about the logic behind that - kill off one of the largest carriers out of MKE then just leave the city for dead? Doesn't really make too much sense. I guess it wouldn't make too much difference, it's not that uncommon for people travelling out of MKE to drive to one of the Chicago airports to save time/money.

BL

dragogoalie

Re:

Sun May 11, 2003 4:03 pm

hehe, maybe NWA is trying to make them fold just to get some more DC-9's  Wink/being sarcastic

--dragogoalie#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

ndege

Sun May 11, 2003 4:05 pm

hehe, maybe NWA is trying to make them fold just to get some more DC-9's

The wings haven't fallen off most of them yet. Thank God for duct tape.

BL

dragogoalie

Re:

Sun May 11, 2003 4:17 pm

Is there anything it can't do?

--dragogoalie-#88--

nwacrew

Sun May 11, 2003 4:23 pm

I've worked an awful lot of flights in and out of Milwaukee over the years and the planes have most always been full. Even the DC10's!

While I'm sure Northwest would be happy to see the end of Midwest, they certainly wouldn't try to put Midwest out of business and then pull out of Milwaukee. MKE is an important destination for NWA.

As for once-a-day frequencies in the new, above mentioned markets; it does seem that business travelers flying from Milwaukee to DCA, LGA and BOS would want a flight out in the morning and a return in the early evening...

Oh - and as for those DC9's (which I personally detest), our mechanics swear by them. One told me "These 9's will tow the Airbuses to the graveyard." and another commented that an Airbus is like a Nissan; you keep it for 10 years and then junk it."

nwacrew

Sun May 11, 2003 4:29 pm

I spoke too soon regarding the once a day frequencies. I see above that it will be possible for MKE passengers to fly out to BOS, LGA and DCA and back in the same day.

dragogoalie

Re:

Sun May 11, 2003 4:32 pm

I agree about the DC-9. I've flown them many many times, and have only seen three maintainence problems. One, my flight was delayed a little bit due to some problems with the spoilers. Then one time as I was getting off the plane, they couldent get the cockpit door open to let the flight crew out. They're probably still in there  Big grin. And one time as we were waiting to board the plane, they found out the entire water system had frozen because the plane sat overnight here in GFK when it was -20F or so. But I dont think that really counts as a maintainence problem, just no coffee  Sad (the pilot seemed really bummed about that and appologized many times). We were delayed about an hour for that because they had to wake up a mechanic who lived in GFK and was on call to come and shut down the water system to prevent it from expanding and breaking during flight. I think the fact that these aircraft are still flying really says something about Douglas, and Northwest's maintainence crews. Also look at the safety records, and how few delays there are (especially considering the weather at two of their major hubs DTW, and MSP). While I wish I was able to fly another airline out of GFK, every time I fly NWA, they seem to grow on me.

--dragogoalie-#88--

ndege

Sun May 11, 2003 4:32 pm

Is there anything it can't do?

--dragogoalie-#88--

Save UA's ass.

BL

Trvlr

Sun May 11, 2003 4:49 pm

The prospect of a NWA expansion is probably tantalizing to the city of Milwaukee and the wider region, but I think it's pretty clear what's going on here. If Northwest succeeds in killing off Midwest (which I doubt they can do), then I bet within 12 months their "expanded" operations at MKE will have ceased to exist. Milwaukee will become a cartel airport, whose only hope of survival is, ironically, Southwest Airlines.

I hope Midwest presses Milwaukee for help against NWA! The city would be foolish not to make every effort to keep this viable airline flying.

Aaron G.

AroundTheWorld

Sun May 11, 2003 4:57 pm

A little evidence to support the "attack on Midwest" theory would be to look at Midwest's route map. Every one of the cities NWA plans to service non-stop will directly compete with Midwest. Granted these are probably the most popular cities out of MKE...just seems a very strange coincidence. You'd think they'd have managed at least one non-competing city.

ndege

Sun May 11, 2003 5:03 pm

If you want to be the big carrier at an airport and you have a small presence there, it makes sense to do what the successful larger carriers are doing in order to put yourself in a comparable position, or at least in a competetive position.

The market research has already been done by the airlines who service MKE. I think they're taking enough chances jumping into this, no need to go overboard until they see if phase one is going to work out for them. After they establish themselves they can think about other things.

BL

AroundTheWorld

Sun May 11, 2003 5:15 pm

Eh, I don't think I agree with that at all. If a market is already served by one or more airlines from an airport I highly doubt that anyone would assume that means the markets are good. How full are Midwest's planes? How many people connect using other airlines to those cities? What cities aren't served by non-stop service that a lot of people connect to? A good example would be Seattle, which Northwest takes well enough passengers to daily on connection flights from MKE to justify a non-stop without any competition.

dutchjet

Sun May 11, 2003 10:16 pm

Lets see what really happens and if the NW flights are successful and do well enough to keep NW interested in MKE. While MKE is important to NW, NW much prefers flying MKE pax via their hubs, NW has tried to expand MKE several times in the past, and considered MKE a focus city at one time, and then lost interest and dropped the direct flights to non-hub destinations; lets see if this time is different.

For many years, until the 1980s, NW was the primary carrier from the New York area to MKE, flying mainly 727s on the route.

srbmod

Mon May 12, 2003 2:22 am

MKE seems to be an odd choice for a focus city; especially since it is in the same region as two of Northwest hubs. If NWA is trying to kill Midwest, they might just succeed, especially in light of Midwest cutting amenities on flights (the amenities that made them successful). If Midwest really gets on the ropes, I see the potential for AirTran taking over the airline, as they could get a good Midwest-East Coast route network, which AirTran lacks.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 12, 2003 2:30 am

Wow, interesting move here. Its already in PARS.

For those people who are saying they lack frequency? Well if worst comes to worst you just make a connection in DTW, MEM, or MSP a flight. Sure they only offer one n/s a day, but there are many more possible flight pairs. NW has a very loyal following from its history in MKE. Thing of this also as a preemptive move to prevent someone else coming in and cherry-picking routes out of this market. NW, by comparison to the other network carriers has the least amount of non-hub flying.

If you are in business and your company is losing money, you need to do what you have to do to get back to profitability and to prevent erosion of market share.

mnsourcer

Mon May 12, 2003 3:28 am

I see the potential for AirTran taking over the airline, as they could get a good Midwest-East Coast route network, which AirTran lacks.

This is a very interesting scenario! Of course, these kinds of speculations are so extremely difficult to predict, I think this could be viable if Midwest was to fold. Although I DISPISE the thought of loosing Midwest (I love flying on that airline), this could potentially be very good for MKE. End up an increased NW presence and have a discount airline use MKE as a hub. Might even open the door for other discount airlines to open shop... Jetblue or Southwest.

OzarkD9S

Mon May 12, 2003 11:19 am

In an earlier thread, I mentioned that YX and FL would make ideal merger partners. I was of course ridiculed a bit, but the logic is still there. Both operate 717's, and AirTran management has stated that if they could get 15 gates at a major airport they would be all over it. Now MKE may not be considered major, but it's no slouch either. Over 1 million people in the metro area and the possibilty of drawing from the northern Chicago suburbs, which an LCC would definately do. Throw in YX's MCI focus city and FL may be slobbering over this.
NW has historically been a most vicious retaliator to LCC's that dare tread on their turf. But could they defeat an AirTran hub in MKE?
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

Douglas DC-9

Mon May 12, 2003 11:38 am

If Midwest goes down because of NWA all of Milwaukee will be furious over it! I can guarantee that NWA will not have very many people if MEH goes down becuase of them!

DC-9-32

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © James Reppucci

DCA-ROCguy

Mon May 12, 2003 12:10 pm

Throw in YX's MCI focus city and FL may be slobbering over this.
NW has historically been a most vicious retaliator to LCC's that dare tread on their turf. But could they defeat an AirTran hub in MKE?

Hmmm...I don't know, Ozark. MKE's catchment area, including northern Chicagoland, is well over two million, but that's still kind of small for an LCC hub. LCC's seem more dependent than Cartel carriers for big population bases and thus O & D at their hubs. Midwest, as far as I can tell, carries a strong percentage of business travelers, and as a mini network-carrier has more a/c flexibility down to 19 pax with Skyway. Plus of course their all-first class layout and service.

Would AirTran be able to pull as many people into an essentially medium-size airport and maintain a similar operation with their different product? I don't know, but it seems risky. Would Skyway be able to operate at a CASM low enough to work as JetConnect? And one couldn't call Raytheon 1900's JetConnect.  Smile If not, would AirWisky be able to get enough CRJ's to take over all those thinner Skyway routes (GRR, etc.) Would they all work?

If Midwest goes under, Northwest won't fly as many pax through MKE period, because many YX pax connect. NW will obviously want to funnel them through their own hubs. If AirTran could replicate enough of YX's route network at LCC cost structure, they could possibly run even more pax through MKE on the increased O & D alone.

Finally, however, as I've long argued, MKE will probably shoot to the top of Southwest's short list if anything happens to YX. I think that YX's presence and local loyalty to them probably explains why MKE has historically had little LCC service. Yes, I've heard all the arguments about how conservative WN is about growth, especially since 9-11.

But MKE would be a good opportunity market and one that could "bracket" Chicagoland from the north, like MHT and PVD bracket Boston. And Chicagoland is a much bigger population area than Eastern Mass/ Southern NH/ RI. It wouldn't be a hub, though, since MDW is in the shadow of the Sears Tower and is a WN hub already.

And if WN enters, AirTran would probably not want to tangle with them. The existing service would probably continue, and maybe LGA flights would be added if YX goes. But WN with its 10 percent lower CASM would be well-positioned to serve LAX, PHX, BWI, OAK, and maybe later MCI, LAS, HOU, STL and maybe SEA.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Mon May 12, 2003 12:16 pm

Jim,
Regarding Skyway:
A lot of their B1900D routes are EAS routes, and I don't think the subsidy and little other revenue could support jets, or a lower CASM. You just can't work a LCC running 19-seaters into Rhinelander off an EAS subsidy.

I agree that Milwaukee looks like a good northern bracket for Chicagoland LCC operations, as O'Hare isn't friendly to airlines with tight turnarounds.

Most Midwest passengers are loyal, repeat Midwest passengers. In Omaha, they had a small very loyal following who used them for the non-stop services they provided. My question is: Will YX customers make the transition to a LCC rather than the majors who are bound to match prices?

jcs17

Mon May 12, 2003 9:56 pm

If Midwest goes down because of NWA all of Milwaukee will be furious over it! I can guarantee that NWA will not have very many people if MEH goes down becuase of them!

No one will care. Just as long as they can get a flight that is compatible with their schedule for a decent price. People arent going to stop flying NW if they drive YX out.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

KUGN

Mon May 12, 2003 10:38 pm

I welcome any airline's addition of routes to MKE. Living in northern Chicagoland, I've been looking for competitive fares and options both from KORD and MKE. MDW has somewhat pricey long-term parking thus partially defeating the purpose of low-fare hunting, and MDW is far less expensive, and easier to to/out. In addition, on weekdays, the driving time is the same as to O'Hare.

For all those reasons, I'd like to see more direct flights, and more competitive options on MKE. AirTran has been nice addition, however, their fares are still higher than the similar ones from MDW. This is why more flights and more airlines are needed. Hopefully, every airline will be able to adopt and stay around - we need all of them!

sllevin

Mon May 12, 2003 11:53 pm

I agree with Jim that Southwest would love to 'bracket' Chicago by bringing additional services to MKE. Especially given the northward development of Chicago suburbs over the years (remember when Buffalo Grove was, well, a grove?  Smile ), and there's great potential there.

Steve

cdgdtw

Tue May 13, 2003 12:11 am

Maybe I've been out of the loop here, but since when is Midwest Epx. going out of business? I just saw the April traffic report for them and there was no mention of a chapter 7 in any of the Newswire. Is there something in the local Milwaukee media about this that hasn't caught on in the rest of the country?

keesje

Tue May 13, 2003 1:24 am

Perhaps this is simply powerplay by NWA.

If they want to consolidate the Midwest & Midwest Airlines don't want to cooperate.

Midwest can choose now :

going under, screaming & kicking or become a NWA(& Co/KLM ?) partner & save their future.

Now NWA suggesting to increase frequencies/destinations can do the trick ...
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

luv2fly

Tue May 13, 2003 3:13 am

Also could it be that by NWA beefing up in MKE someone like AirTran might be slow to come in and do the same? Also I understand from reading on this web page that Midwest is not what they use to be in terms of service offered if that is true then this is an ideal time for NWA to increase the flights from MKE.

Also years ago this was a mini hub for NWA and offered a lot of point to point routes, and Midwest was there during all of this. I remember when DCA and BOS also were mini hubs for NWA.

And one more thing to consider MKE is close to ORD and you have 2 big carriers there not doing the greatest, UA bankrupt and AA not in the best of financial shape. So why not add service to attract those who do not want to travel on AA and UA right now.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.
 Big grin
You can cut the irony with a knife

captcjmac

Tue May 13, 2003 3:14 am

I as well welcome more flights into MKE. I think MKE is one of the most under rated airports in the nation. The people of MKE are very loyal to NW an YX. I really hope NW competition has little effect on Midwest business since they are such a great airline. Its pretty obvious that NW is going for the throat on this one seeing the destinations they are flying to. Hopefully they will be impatient and pull out early so YX will survive this latest challenge.

luv2fly

Tue May 13, 2003 3:23 am

If I remember correctly MKE airport did a gate area over in SouthWest colors in a bid to attract them at one time. Also by NWA beefing up MKE SouthWest would also be thinking twice about adding service.

Big grin

N659AA

Tue May 13, 2003 4:15 am

Funny how I haven't seen the damn to NW posts for their insurgence into MKE. I guess it's just not as fun to bash NW for doing what it's doing to YX as it is for people to kick AA in the teeth for doing what they do to compete.

Shame on you people. I thought this was an equal opportunity "cartel carrier" (what an idiotic term) bashing forum!!  Yeah sure  Confused

To NW's defense, this is not much of an investment in aircraft resource as they are using added utilization to add these flights.

luv2fly

Tue May 13, 2003 4:22 am

NWA always had a presence in MKE it is not like they suddenly are coming into the market.

Noise

Tue May 13, 2003 4:47 am

If NWA manages to squeeke Midwest outta MKE, where will Midwest move to? Omaha? K-City? Des Moines???? Midwest has to hold on to MKE. If not, the;re doomed.

luv2fly

Tue May 13, 2003 4:50 am

I myself believe that NWA is only going into the market to keep the likes of AirTran out.

Big grin

tekelberry

Tue May 13, 2003 6:58 am

http://www.nwa.com/features/mkesale.html

http://www.nwa.com/offers/mkebonus/

They're putting these new routes on sale and showering their WorldPerks members with miles as well.

[Edited 2003-05-12 23:59:44]

luv2fly

Tue May 13, 2003 7:08 am

No different than Delta and what they are doing for the additional West Coast flights to compete with AirTran's new West Coast service.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue May 13, 2003 10:28 am

Its called competition, you can't just sit there and let your competitors eat away at your market share. Last time I checked airlines were deregulated and allowed to enter and leave markets as they choose.

KUGN

Tue May 13, 2003 11:23 pm

Absoultely. If anything, MKE needs more competition, to bring fares to the MDW levels, if it plans to become become the real ORD alternative for northern Chicagoland.

ti717

Wed May 14, 2003 12:39 am

Does this mean that BOS, DCA, LGA, LAS, LAX and MCO all get more one more flight to a NW hub or Just changing times? Where are the planes during the day?
Sir, don't you think we should turn on the runway lights?" "No, that's just what there expecting us to do!"

ScottB

Wed May 14, 2003 3:17 am

OK, I'll take the bait and say that yes, this is one of the cartel carriers (NWA) trying to beat up on a smaller airline (Midwest). I can't really say that they're beating up on a low-cost carrier because Midwest isn't one -- they simply provide first class service at fares comparable to the coach fares of the major network carriers. Maybe you could call YX an LCFCC - Low-Cost First Class Carrier.

From reading NWA's press releases regarding its new flights to and from MKE, it's quite obvious that they're trying to tiptoe around the fact that these flights indeed are intended to take business away from Midwest -- after all, they emphasize the length of time Northwest has served Milwaukee and their presence in Wisconsin in general. But considering that these flights are aimed at MKE business travelers, it's clear that they're targeting Midwest. And Midwest is especially vulnerable even without NWA's help, given that they've been bleeding money in the last three quarters and will be downgrading their service. It remains to be seen how loyal Midwest's MKE passengers will be.

And yes, I believe Midwest has been a deterrent to low-fare carriers at MKE in the past -- after all, the low-fare carriers make their money from being able to sell a larger percentage of their less expensive full-fare tickets than the network carriers. Given the choice of full-fare on Midwest or a low-cost carrier, it's much nicer flying on Midwest.

I still have to stick with my belief that an AirTran-Midwest merger wouldn't make sense. The two have different business plans; i.e. AirTran is primarily low-cost while Midwest offers first class at network carrier coach prices. AirTran is phasing out its DC-9's quickly; most of Midwest's fleet is still DC-9's. Midwest also has about a dozen MD-80's which don't fit into AirTran's fleet. And if AirTran really wanted more 717-200's, they could likely get them at a competitive price direct from Boeing. The only possible motivations are in being able to pick up Midwest's customer base and having less competition if AirTran were to want to build another hub at MKE. And there's no guarantee that Midwest's customers would be loyal to a non-hometown carrier with a dramatically different product.

luv2fly

Wed May 14, 2003 3:25 am

Could this also be a reason.

Right from NWA's web page, cut and pasted here.

As of May 29, 2003, Midwest Airlines will no longer be a partner in the WorldPerks program. The last day to book awards on Midwest Airlines flights will be May 28, 2003 for travel through May 28, 2004.

milemaster

Wed May 14, 2003 3:43 am

Shhh... You hear that?

It's the hammering of a few more nails in the coffin.

It's really too bad.. YX is a great airline offering a level of domestic service far superior to any other North American carrier.

While I'm no expert, there is no way this airline is going to survive with their current business model. Essentially, customers are paying for a seat that's a little wider with a pitch that's really no different than any other carrier. Throw in the fact that inflight service has been slashed to the point of any other competitor and you've got really no reason to fly YX over NWA or any other carrier that offers similar routes. The erosion has begun and the only way I can see a chance of survival is an aquisition by another carrier or restoring their service levels while reducing costs elsewhere.

I think it's great that they're a 717 customer.. but it's not a sign of improvement as far as their business model is concerned.

The only thing that they had going for them after the service reductions is the stronghold at MKE.. Now that it's eroding, their tactics aren't going to remove that threat.

It's really sad.. The only response they seem to have launched to restrategize is to maybe launch an LCC.

luv2fly

Wed May 14, 2003 3:52 am

I think they should restore the service levels and cut costs where they can to compete.

midexjet

Wed May 14, 2003 4:12 am

Word is that YX is getting a 25% reduction in costs from the B717's. I presume that this is in fuel costs, but am not sure.

nwacrew

Wed May 14, 2003 6:54 am

Let's not forget that Northwest has served Milwaukee since July 5th, 1927, when a Stinson Detroiter operated Northwest's very first revenue flight; a 370 mile zig-zag from Minneapolis/St.Paul to La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee and Chicago.

Today Milwaukee is our 2nd largest revenue-producing city, outside of our three hubs. (Seattle holds the #1 spot.)

Service may have waxed and waned over the years, but no one should under estimate Northwest's determination to remain a formidable competitor at MKE...