Fly-K
Topic Author

MenaJet Another MiddleEast No Frills Carrier

Mon May 12, 2003 5:47 pm

Actually, they call themselves the first Middle East no frills carrier, but if the include Gulf Traveller, I'd say they're the second.
Anyways, they will be Sharjah-based and operate two A320s on intra-region flights.
Does anyone know what "mena" means?

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Unique

RE: MenaJet Another MiddleEast No Frills Carrier

Mon May 12, 2003 6:10 pm

Does this have anything to do with Air Arabia, the new airline of Sharjah?

http://www.shj-airport.gov.ae/ab66.htm

qatarairways

Mon May 12, 2003 8:12 pm

Fly-K,

Gulf Traveller is not a no frills nor a low fare carrier but rather an all-economy seperate brand just like Australian Airlines. MenaJet will be a proper low fare no frills carrier. Depending on pronounciation "mena" in arabic means sea port or semen! I think it might just be an accronym(sp) Middle East and North Africa. Aviation proffesionals in the region are skeptical about the airline's chances of success because of regulatory issues as well as problems surrounding their intended market.

Unique,

No they are unrelated.

Unique

Mon May 12, 2003 8:36 pm

Thanks a lot QatarAirways! In this case I just wonder if two airlines in the same emirate, having the same airport as home base, would survive for long. I guess both airlines are created in order to make money, but is there a market?

Or does SHJ only serve as the home airport but not the home market?

In any case, I hope both airlines get their wings off the ground (and pose in front of my camera Big grin)!

OD720

Tue May 13, 2003 4:41 am

There is definetly a market in the Middle East for no-frills, but the Middle East is not EU. There are many issues and most importantly, many arab countries need enterance visas to travel to which doesn't help much to the cause.

If they plan to fly to Beirut in the future, maybe Beirut Int'l Airport will be a little expensive. There's only one other commercial airport in Lebanon, it's located about 90km/60miles north of Beirut at Kleyat. As far as I know, this airport is closed for the moment but who knows, maybe it will come to life.

Regards.

Fly-K
Topic Author

Mon May 19, 2003 11:47 pm

QatarAirways, thanks for the info (and sorry for the late reply).

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

EurostarVA

Tue May 20, 2003 12:21 am

First, I think that Sharjah would be smarter to focus on a low-cost airline because the region doesn't need another Emirates., Qatar Airways or Gulf Air. What is needed is a low-cost airline to expand the markets. It is a brilliant idea but what is needed is a relaxation of bilateral restrictions. I see them flying to Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Beirut and if allowed, maybe Karachi, Mumbai, Cairo and lots of cities in Iran. They are putting a lot of planning into this and I personally think they will succeed.

EurostarVA
If there is a will, there is a way