DoorsToManual
Topic Author

Munich Airport - Good For Spotting?

Tue May 13, 2003 5:22 am

Hi

There is quite a good fare to MUC with easyjet; it is only £31 for a round-trip flight, so I was thinking about maybe flying out for the day; I would just like to know opinions on how interesting (in terms of traffic and spotting) MUC is; their website seems to have some good information, and there is a photo of this "viewing hill" but it isn't clear how close you are to the aircraft movements.

Can anyone provide some info?

danke

Kohflot

RE: Munich Airport - Good For Spotting?

Tue May 13, 2003 11:53 am

The viewing hill is close, but not too close. If I recall correctly, you'll have to take the S-Bahn out to it. The hill is situated in a small park with a couple of static display aircraft.

Spotting from inside the airport is pretty much useless. Half of the aircraft are parked remotely and and there's no real view of the runways.

As for traffic, you'll probably want to be there in the late morning/early afternoon. That's when you'll see the departures to North America. As the afternoon goes on, you'd also see some of the Middle East and Asia departures. Lufthansa is definitely the biggest player there, but there's enough traffic from other airlines to keep it interesting.
Ask why..

munich

Tue May 13, 2003 5:01 pm

Hi DoorsToManual,

I'm from Munich and for me it's a little pity, that I must say, MUC is not a real good spotterplace, especially if you are without a car (long distances to the good spotterplaces). At the time there are canceled also a lot of long haul flights by LH in fact of SARS and the low economy, e.g. HKG, NRT and PVG, sometimes BOS, ORD, LAX, SFO and JFK. Unfortunately you can't see this more than one day in front on the munich homepage.

If you want to go to MUC anyway, the best day would be Friday. If you know the day you would come, contact me under WlfRbrt@hotmail.com. If I have time, I show you my home airport.

Greetings
Robert

PS. Here are some links, where you can see the best photopoints and you have a overview on the airport. I'm sorry for my small English!

http://www.afm-news.de/positionen/MUC_Luftbild.jpg

http://www.stefan-aviation.de/

http://www.afm-news.de/

Regards! Robert alias munich

Setjet

Tue May 13, 2003 7:24 pm

Fares for £31 from Argentina to Munich? By Easyjet?? Now, that's a good deal!!!

Seriously, the airport itself is pretty interesting, and if you search a little bit there are some accessable places where you have a nice view of the apron. Next to the perimeter fence between Gate 101 and the road from Munich comes to mind. There is also a nice spot between the Terminals and the visitors hill where you are next to the runway. Have fun there!