N754PR
Topic Author

Things I Saw At Kai Tak !

Thu Dec 02, 1999 12:49 pm

Kai Tak had to have been the best place on earth to see strange or interesting things (not aircraft types).

How about a Air China 744 taking off on RWY 31 put instead of turning left after departure he just climbed straight out and over the mountains into China.

Or the Dragonair A320 with flap problems that made three go arounds then landed hard on 31, went straight off the runway accross the grass and came to rest on the taxiway (left main gear on the grass)

The dog that stopped a CX 744 then sat right in the middle of the four main gear.

The Philippines 744 that tried to take off with the flaps fully up !!!

The NCA 747-200F's that had engine strikes, Yes two different aircraft.

The Malaysian 744 engine stike.

The hundreds of attempted landings on RWY 13 during rain storms and Typhoons. Some of these had you very worried. Some did go arounds so low that the main gear hit the runway before the plane started climbing !!!!.

The Air China 742 that i have photos of landing at a crazy angle ( without problems) .

The list just goes on and on !!!

Daryl
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

cricri

RE: Things I Saw At Kai Tak !

Thu Dec 02, 1999 9:01 pm

Do you know if there is video about all this missed/failed approaches, landings and t/o? Maybe an amateur one showing all you describe? I would get it immediately...
Sure it is nice having been a spotter at Kaitak, I'm jealous...
Regards.

Thu Dec 02, 1999 9:30 pm

Hello PR,

Notice your name is taken from the registration marks of a Philippine Airlines Boeing 747-400 if I'm not mistaken? I rode one yesterday and I could have sworn it was N754PR. If not, it was probably N752PR.

Yes, Kai Tak was a very interesting place, I rode through some "interesting" landings like the Cathay Pacific 747-400 from London which had to go around when a sudden monsoon shower hit just before the infamous turn at the checkerboard was executed, totally obscuring the runway. Or the SAS 767-300 from Copenhagen which somehow landed smoothly despite a botched final turn, with the pilot banking and fanning the rudders like crazy up until the last second to get the plane aligned (I thought one of our engines would strike the runway, he was banking more than 20 degrees only a few feet above the ground).

It was really sad to see it go. What aircraft observers deemed its greatest asset, the Checkerboard Approach (or more accurately the geographic layout of the airport), turned out to be its greatest limitation as well.

kaitak

Thu Dec 02, 1999 10:52 pm

Ah, the memories - and you don't need to ask how I got my name!
As for videos, Cricri, I would suggest you try the Just Planes Videos Kai Tak productions; there are also two German ones, by BL&P (both very good) and there's a British one as well, also good. Yes, it's a tribute to this, the greatest airport that ever was, that there are so many videos dedicated.

As for sites, if you go into the Professional Pilots Rumour Network and look under Fragrant Harbour forum (the Chinese name for HK!), you'll see a link for Kai Tak photos. There are some very good ones - try it!

I must have gone through about 40 rolls of film from Kai Tak and that meant quite a few shots. And they still give me great pleasure.

Long may its memory live!

thai747

Thu Dec 02, 1999 10:59 pm

Was it China Airlines 747 that took a bath in the lake near Kaitak?

ovelix

Fri Dec 03, 1999 5:54 am

What about the airport right now? Is it just standing there, nothing happenning etc? What are the plans of use? Any of you knows??

dc10@dfw

Fri Dec 03, 1999 8:28 am

I was at Kai Tak about 10 days ago. Oh it gave me goose bumps seeing the checkerboard and the runway from the aiport perimiter. I got some good views from the parking garage next to the Regal Kai Tak Hotel. I even got to go inside the terminal. They have removed almost everything. It is just a vacant hall now. I saw some surveyors on the runway when I was there. I wonder what is to become of that place. It was a dream come true for me to see it, after viewing all the photos on the internet.

Fri Dec 03, 1999 11:32 am

If I'm not wrong,it will become a BIG amusement arcade!!

Copyright Straits Times 20/10/99

Gundu

N754PR
Topic Author

Kai Tak Today.

Fri Dec 03, 1999 12:14 pm

Hello everyone.

Kai Tak today is a very sad place. The fuel tanks are gone, Haeco's head office has gone, all the CX offices have just started to be knocked down (yes including the simulator building that was only built about six years ago !!!)

Most of the apron has been dug up. The Terminal does have a bowling alley and pool tables now. The company running it is called `Kai Tak Bowling'. This i guess will only be short term.

All the approach lights are gone (except the famous one in Kowloon City built into the building) the IGS tower at the chequer board has gone

As for a video tape with all the go arounds, sorry i don't know. remember most of them were in very bad weather.

Some of my photos are on a site that i know can't remember the address of !. If i can find any i will let you all know.

Bye

Daryl

P.S. Yes N754PR is a PR 744, its a 747-469 built for Kuwait Airlines but the order was not taken up. I've flown this aircraft twice.

N754PR
Topic Author

Go To This Site !

Fri Dec 03, 1999 12:29 pm

Look here.

http://home.netvigator.com/~pashford/

You can see some of my photos on this site. My contact numbers are outdated, i've asked him to update them.

Daryl

HS-LTA

Fri Dec 03, 1999 1:15 pm

Besides what N754PR said, I saw some intersting things at Kai Tak.
1)A plane was taxiing around the ramp due to waiting for a bay.
2)Five big jets were waiting for take off but waiting for a C152 on approach in a busy morning.
3)A Varig MD-11 go around due to see a big bird on the runway.
4)A GA B742 made a crazy turn on IGS and nearly land on taxiway.
5)A BG DC-10 landed with right gear on the grass.
6)An Atlas B742F was arrived into Hong Kong airspace,but it was two hours before airport open(open at 06:30 local time).

Also, due to Kai Tak is small. So, most of the passengers needed to take the shuttle bus to the bus. And for me, I will be the first one leave the bus and the last one got on the planes. So, I can take photos on the ramp.

pandora

Kai Tak Memories...

Fri Dec 03, 1999 5:47 pm

I'vebeen to Kai tak several times and now it's closed i miss it alot.

i remember some locals, climbing onto the checkerboard during no.8 typhons (the strongest typhhon there were) and watched CX l011s and 747-200s landing the IGS!! WOW!! it was so amagzing because there were microbursts and bloody strong crosswinds, which had dipped the aircraft's nose at around 200ft! than it sanks about 100 ft, pulls its nose up, and made a go-around!!

N754PR
Topic Author

RE: Kai Tak Memories...

Fri Dec 03, 1999 5:52 pm

Pandora,

Yep, every Typhoon it was the same !!. By the way the highest signal for a Typhoon is number 10. I've been in Hong Kong for 13 years and this year i had my first 10. Let me tell you nothing landed at CLK for the whole day .

Daryl

HS-LTA

More And More!After Memories Came Back

Fri Dec 03, 1999 6:38 pm

Just remember more things and post it again:
1)During the typhoon, all planes were gone around in the afternoon.And a El Al B767 on the IGS in very very heavy rain. The plane rushed into the runway and finally the captain said "Tower, this is El Al xxx, we landed on runway!"
2)A JAL MD-11 pilot said:"Approach, can I use ILS intsead of IGS. I think we can't land with such strong wind!" and the tower said "JAL xxx, you can try IGS, wait a while or divert to anywhere you want.We can't change runway because of you only."

More will come when I got back my momories!

SabenaA320

N754PR

Fri Dec 03, 1999 9:31 pm

Great photo's of Kai Tak!!!! 

What a shame I've never been there, but the stories are great.

Keep on typing everybody

Ralf

SQ2

Fri Dec 03, 1999 10:49 pm

Well, reading all your contributions made me realise how much I miss Kai tak. To be sure, I never liked Kai Tak as it was cramp and crowded. But one thing I did enjoy was my flight into Hong Kong and the famous right turn as the aircraft approaches the runway. It was a spectacular sight with the view of the city below and of Hong Kong island opposite the runway. It was a beautiful sight indeed. I went back to Hong Kong and flew into the new airport at Chep Lap Kok. While it impressed me, I must say that the exciting approach is now gone and landing in CLK is like any other major city approaches, straighfoward and boring! Happy memories!

SQ2
SQ always my 1st choice

David L

Thanks N754PR

Fri Dec 03, 1999 11:38 pm

Sniff... sob... I'll be OK in a minute...

hisham

Sat Dec 04, 1999 12:27 am

I have a series of pictures taken at Kai tak of a BA 747 on short finals while another airplane is still on the runway. The 747 touches down nearly a second after the other aircraft got airborne. I've never seen anything like this before.
Hisham.

pandora

How Did They Come Up With Igs?

Sat Dec 04, 1999 11:49 am

I was just wondering, who invented IGS approach, and why Hong Kong? Is it b'coz of the nearby mountains?

Things I Wish I Saw At Kai Tak !

Sat Dec 04, 1999 9:34 pm

Thanks for the stories everybody. The worst thing is, all those years you guys have been plane spotting at Kai Tak, I was never born. I only visited Kai Tak when I was young and never interested in photography. Now, only 1 year after it closed, it is one thing I will regret forever.

I will be visiting HK's new airport from the 15th-19th Dec 1999 but this will be nothing like Kai Tak ever was.

I remember landing in 747 and watching the left hand wing passing close to the moutains. It was one of the most unique approaches in the world.

Steven Kaplan
kaplano1@yahoo.com

HS-LTA

RE: How Did They Come Up With Igs?

Sat Dec 04, 1999 10:24 pm

When the old Kai Tak airport, there was two runway, 07/25, 13/31. They were cross runway. And the approach to runway 13(the old one) was very very interesting. The aircraft needed to visual approach to near the hill and made sharp turn on final. I watched a TV prog about Kai Tak and with cockpit shot on 13 approach. But in 1969's, the government reclaim a new single runway, yes, the famous runway 13 and 31. But due to traffic was not too busy at that time. So, not IGS on 13 approach. If aircraft needed to land on runway 13. It needed to fly on the heading to 31 approaach and made left turn and fly along on Hong Kong Island coast and turn right to Kowloon and visual approach to runway 13. But due to more and more traffic and larger planes, so the government installed the IGS system for safety approach.

You can find more information on a book called "airport of the nine dragon". It was written by a old CX captain.

N754PR
Topic Author

Sun Dec 05, 1999 2:17 am

Hello Hisham,

I dont now when but i took a KA A320 departing (main gear still on the runway) and a 747 already with its main gear touched down !!. I only saw this once or twice.

Daryl

hisham

Sun Dec 05, 1999 3:26 am

Daryl,
Such a situation is illegal because the law requires at least one runway length between a landing and a departing aircraft. If both planes are on the runway at the same time, then the distance is less than one runway length.
Hisham.

tommy

Sun Dec 05, 1999 4:29 am

Yeah, Kai Tak was one one hell of an airport. The feeling you get when you see an aircraft bank over the apartment blocks is just undiscribable. It was a real challenge for the pilots, especially in the typically adverse weather and in crosswinds. I've seen Kai Tak from many angles, on the checkerboard hill, Chi Chun Lau, Parking Lot, cockpit.......now, everytime I pass by our deserted Kai Tak, I just get this funny feeling.

The777Man

Sun Dec 05, 1999 5:04 am

I saw a lot of crazy things and I don't remember most of them. But I do remember seeing a BA 744 BOUNCE twice before finally rolling out after touching down. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

pandora

Have U Guys Been To The Airlieners Group InHK?

Sun Dec 05, 1999 9:17 am

I thought of an interesting shop for some of you guys in HK should go to.

WHile i was in Hong Kong last year I went to a model shop called 'airliners group' and in their shop there was a mega 1/500 kai tak airport diorama! they had the whole kai tak surroundings and the rnway lights actually lit up when i asked the staff to turn off the office lightening!!!

HS-LTA

Sun Dec 05, 1999 10:19 am

Yes. I saw several time the planes just a second touch down after the take off traffic rolling out. I have the video and photos(very lucky). In the video, I can heard the other spotters loud out "Oh! My God! Please do it again!" And the spent money to Hong Kong to spot aircraft and happy to see such things.

N754PR
Topic Author

Airliners Group (HK) Ltd

Sun Dec 05, 1999 5:50 pm

Pandora, when you went to this shop did you speak to a non-Chinese guy or just Chinese Staff ?.

The reason i ask is i'm the one that stuck all those planes, cars, trucks and buses on the model !!!, Thats my office. Can you believe it .

I look after the club at Airliners Group (HK) Ltd, its a club for `herpa' wings collectors.

Small world.

Daryl

N754PR
Topic Author

My Only Go-Around.

Sun Dec 05, 1999 5:57 pm

My only Go-Around was at Kai Tak and it was on a BA 744 landing on Runway 31 (Not 13). It was way back in about 92' i think we got down to about 500 - 600 feet before i remember being pushed back in my seat by the climb rate.

Bye
Daryl

pandora

RE: My Only Go-Around And Airlienrs Group

Mon Dec 06, 1999 2:16 pm

Hey N754PR!!

Wow! you work @ airliners group?

I went to Hoong kong in DEC last year, and I remember seeing a German type guy putting up and displaying the herpa wings, that was when you guys moved into the new office right? i was there to collect my herpa 1/500 kai tak 777-300 model. i don't know if it was you, but the guy was quite tall and had fair hair colour... the ladies staff were rude!!! give them a lesson!

pandora~

B727-200

Mon Dec 06, 1999 2:20 pm

Daryl,

I will be heading into HKG on 20 Dec. for the first time - where abouts is this shop, as I will have to put it on my to-see list?

Like Kaplano1, I too regret never having gone to Kai Tak to take photos. Worst still, I never have and never will experience the approach :-(

B727-200.

pandora

For B727-200! Please Read!

Mon Dec 06, 1999 2:49 pm

B727-200:

Wow! YOu are going to Hong KOng? The airliners group address is:

units 101-2, 1/F, Stelux House, 698 Prince Edward Road, Shan Po Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

www.airliners.com.hk/wc.html

by the way don't even speak to the reception staff, they are so rude!!! just walk around and enjoy the 1/500 kai tak airport diorama and the herpa wings models along the shelf. You may want to buy some models too.

CLK is a great airport, but too big. after you arrive, you'd proabably have to walk for 10 minutes (about 1 km) to the customs and baggage pick up area (compare to 3 minutes in Melbourne, australia). some personal advice:

1. when in greeting hall, you may find several means of transport to hotel-bus, train, or taxi. Shuttle Bus is the cheapest costing around $20 HK (about 5$AUS) and it goes to everywhere and will take about 45 minutes to get to HOng kong area, about 1 hour to N.T. Express train will cost you about $60HKD (but takes you to HOng Kong island or whatever the fastest). taxi is the most expensive, around $400 HKD!!!

2. shopping-buy electronics appliances, computer stuff, toys, gifts, and clothing in a suburb called Mong Kok and Shatin, these areas are the cheapest to chop for a bargin. if you are looking at Chanel or Hugo Boss crap, go to posh subrubs in Hong Kong Island and Shim Sha Shui for it. if you are like me who likes model planes an buy boxes of them on the way back home, go to Mong Kok, there are heps of hobby shops there. Dragon Wings are only 120$HKD each (about 20$AUS, comapred to $40AUS local price).

3. Security-this is very very important. ALWAYS PUT YOUR WALLET IN A SAFE PLACE OR ALWAYS IN YOUR POCKETS!!!! if you have kids or teens, do keep on an eye for them every so often (b;coz there are kids smugglers in HK!). don't wear flashy clothes (except, eg new year's eve), because clothing is a sign of rich and poor (eg poor have crappy clothes). if you have a 16 year old daughter eg don't allow her to go out at night.

4. health-see the doctor b4 you see the world. get hepatitis A & B prevention.

well, that's it. have a nice trip!

Airbus A3XX

Mon Dec 06, 1999 6:05 pm

Pandora:
No offense, but some of the informations are wrong.
There is no such things 'N.T. Express'. It should be 'Airport Express'. The price for single journey/Same day return is $70HKD. Return ticket valid for 1 month is $120(to Hong Kong Station). Airport Bus to urban area costs about $40HKD. I quiet agree with you that the staffs at Airliners is rude........
Also, N754PR, are you Mr. Daryl Chapman?

N754PR
Topic Author

Whats Your Name A3XX ?

Mon Dec 06, 1999 7:26 pm

Hello,

Well you know my name, so whats yours. I see you hide your real name and your e-mail address. Is this for a reason ?

I would like to inform you that i am not rude to customers, if you have been given bad service by me please let me know. I can't speak for my co-workers but i can tell you that some customers ask for bad service. As for me its normal to spend an hour or so with a single customer, this is normally the case when the subject of Kai Tak comes up.

There are a few customers who expect that they can check upto TWENTY models of the same type before they can find one that is ok for them. I have collected herpas from the first day they arrived in Hong Kong and Geminis the same. I've never had to inspect so many models to find one that i like. I think that staff in any shop have the reason to become, how can we say unhappy with these kinds of customers.

This is my opinion, not the company i work for. I await your name and if you would like to speak to me A3XX you can contact me at 2382 2832.

Thanks

Daryl

pandora

Darly Chapman! Read This!

Mon Dec 06, 1999 8:33 pm

hi!

I've got the airliners book on kai tak and saw tons of your photos in it! well done dude!

anyway, i agree with you, it's a small world.

are your slides for sale?

Anyway, about airliners group.

firstly, the things they sell i have to admit, is a wide range, but some items are too expensive, such as magazines. Airliners mag, they sell it in AUStralia for 9.50AUS and in HOng KOng i saw it for something like $70HKD!!

secondly, there are too many staff who didn't know how to speak PROPER english! they hardly understood a thing i said while i asked for a model.

thirdly, the concept of airliners group-you think it's been successful? given that hong kong's economy is still in a crap shape, hardly anyone would have spare $$$ to buy models?

and the customer you referred to "as checking out 20 models before checking out" is the guy who owns the web pagehttp://home.netvigator.com/~brinkley/

anyway, hope you email me at enviro_products@tupac.com

Airbus A3XX

Mon Dec 06, 1999 11:37 pm

N754PR:
I don't mean that you service is not good, I just mean some of the staffs sitting in the reception desk. Also sometimes they provide wrong information. Like in your club, I called your office and asked if I could order the ANAs lately in Sept., then the staff(sounds like a girl) said I can get it as long as I like. But when I went to your office, they said all the stocks were out and no one can be given to me. SO I begged them and they finally gave me two. I made a deal with some overseas collectors to sell them the ANAs but now I can only sell two of them. Also, Darly, I don't mean that you service is not good, I think I have seen you once in the Kai Tak fair for getting a membership for my cousin in Canada, I just mean some of the staffs(A girl, she is quiet rude!) sitting in the reception desk. You can see my name and e-mail address in my profile now. Thanks!
Kevin Li

pandora

A3XX

Tue Dec 07, 1999 7:51 am

I agree withyou on the staff at airliners group. The reception desk lady, (the fatone, CHinese), is rude. I've asked for the Kai Tak book and she goes, "it's there, find it your self", in poor English.

B727-200

Thanks For The Advice Guys!

Tue Dec 07, 1999 8:16 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice on what to expect on arrival in Hong Kong, and for the airliners group address Pandora. It is probably quite amazing that after working for over 10 years in the airline industry that this is my first time to HKG (and in fact the first time I've ventured further than Bali).

Hmmm, it sounds as if I am going to have to take a peace offering to the receptionist in this place too (as well as my female travelling companian who thinks aircraft are nothing but vehicles for generating revenue).

Thanks again guys - might see you in a couple of weeks Daryl.

B727-200 :-)

N754PR
Topic Author

Hello 727-200

Tue Dec 07, 1999 9:44 am

Hi,

For your info i will be in the store on the following days.

DEC 13-16, 21-23, 28 & 30th. Many days this month we are taking part in a exhibition in Hong Kong island (tamar site) I will be there on the 11,12,17-19,24,26,27,31 and JAN 1st 2000 !!.

Hope to see you anyway.

Daryl

B727-200

Tue Dec 07, 1999 10:00 am

G'day,

I am also from Australia. I live in Sydney and will be visiting HK from the 15th-19th Dec 1999.

Which airline are you flying?

I am flying Ansett Australia on AN887 departing Sydney on Wed 15th Dec and arriving home on AN888 departing Hong Kong on Sun 19th Dec.

I hope to take some nice slides at HK's new airport and am trying to arrange to meet up with someone so they can show me around.

I would like to know which runway has currently be active in the past few days as many of you have told me that runway 07 left is not good for photography and in winter 07 left is usually in use (Sorry if I got the runway names mixed up).

Daryl, what other things will be at the fair you will be attending? Is it on Kowloon Island?

Regards,

Steven Kaplan
kaplano1@yahoo.com

B727-200

HKG Trip

Tue Dec 07, 1999 10:26 am

Guys,

Will be flying Ansett also - up on the 20th, back on the 25th. Because I am airline staff I am subload (standby) so may have to look at other options out of HKG if it is too busy Xmas day. One option is CX HKG-MEL which my ticket is endorsed for just in case. They also fly the A340 on the Sunday so I may have to wait an extra day to get on this one.

Good news too Daryl, struck a deal with the better half so I can do my thing for a day (as in spotting and shopping for models, etc...), as long as she gets to shop for 2 days in return. Might require a Nobel prize for the diplomacy used in that one. Might also need advice for the best place to spot at CLK.

Rgds,
B727-200.

N754PR
Topic Author

RE: HKG Trip

Tue Dec 07, 1999 3:12 pm

Hi Steve,

Like i said give me a call when your in Hong Kong. At the moment they seem to be changing about . Very difficult to say what runway they are on.

It MAY be possible for me to meet you early morning on one of the days your here. Please call me when you arrive.

Daryl

RE: HKG Trip

Tue Dec 07, 1999 4:33 pm

Dear Daryl,

I will call you the morning after my arrival. I am hoping that you will be able to show me around as it would be unreal.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Regards,

Steven

Airbus A3XX

Tue Dec 07, 1999 8:24 pm

Daryl,
Is Airliners group going to have a counter in the Tarmar(admiralty?) like last year? If yes, then I would go and see...... Can you please give me the date for the exhibition? Thanks!
Kevin LI

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos