ctflyer

Charter Airlines & The A321

Thu May 15, 2003 12:07 am

Has anyone flown on an A321 operated by any of the following charter airlines - Monarch, Air 2000, My Travel, LTU, Aero Lloyd, and Spanair.

Please share your experiences and include comments on seating comfort.

Thanks

na

RE: Charter Airlines & The A321

Thu May 15, 2003 12:29 am

Time pressure put me onboard an A321 (not sure about the reg, but it carried the logo of German football champion Bayern Munich on its tail and a sticker at the front, most likely D-ALAM) on a flight to Malaga about two weeks ago.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Schmidt

I´m not a fan of long single-aisle planes, and this was no exception. The A321 is my least liked type in the LH fleet already, and Aerolloyds A321 is worse. I would seriously warn everybody taller than 1,80m to fly with it. One of the most cramped airplanes I´ve ever been on. And surprisingly noisy as well (more than I know it from LH). Food was so-so, didn´t expect any wonders, didn´t experience one. Also bad: smoking was allowed on board.

Vote: not recommended!

PS: Just see Global S.S. B747-400F G-GSSA landing in FRA from my office! If weather is improving slightly, spotters might be able to take a nice shot later.

Rick767

Thu May 15, 2003 2:14 am

I have flown on a Monarch A321 and an Airtours (as they were then) A321. Both were 220 seat layouts I recall.

No different whatsoever from any other UK charter airline in terms of seat comfort, 29-30" pitch which is comparable to the 757/A320. Prefer the Airbus slightly over the 757, "computer driven magic" feels like it flies on rails....

Saves the airlines money too over the 757 on a similar trip, only drawback is the 15 fewer seats on the 321.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Captain.MD-11

Thu May 15, 2003 2:16 am

2 years ago I flew on a wet leased BMI A321 flying for Air 2000. The Captain left the cockpit door open during taxi and take-off, so I could see right down to the flight deck. It was quite an awesome sight as it was a night flight (was mean to be afternoon but you know UK Charter airlines  Wink/being sarcastic ) and the panel was fully lit up by the instrument lights. The flight itself was as good as can be expected, I was quite impressed though as it was my first Bus ride and the aircraft looked quite new. It didn't quite go up like a 757/777/MD-11, but it wasn't exactly slow on the ground run either.

Safe Flying
Twins,twins, everywhere.... but where are the three holers?

diesel1

Thu May 15, 2003 6:04 pm

Probably should be in trip reports, but here's details of my flight with Airtours on A321 G VOLH during October 99 from CWL-HER

Flight was on nearly new Airbus A321. Was generally smooth, but some strange noise and vibration on climb out of Cardiff.

Inflight film (4 Weddings & a Funeral) helped time pass more quickly.

Food and cabin crew were OK, nothing special.

Return flight a fortnight later was uneventful once we got away

Same A321 as outbound.

Start up was accompanied by clouds on condensation through air conditioning - some wondered whether it was smoke at first.

On taxi out to end of runway there was a lot of clanking noises coming from the undercarriage, these didn't sound good and I've never heard anything like this on the many times I've flown - I thought this was a plane that needed its maintenance at the end of a busy season.

Once we took off, the flight was OK.
I don't like signatures...

Joni

Thu May 15, 2003 7:10 pm

I think that people over 1.8m height are cramped on charter flights reagardless of the plane's make. I'm 1.88m and flying on Airtours (IIRC a 752) caused me constant physical pain.

Finnair's 321 was much better, but as I said the operative words here are Airtours and Finnair, not 752 and 321.

Andreas

Thu May 15, 2003 9:28 pm

Same here: Charter planes are a constant threat to the health of people my size (1,90m), and probably even much smaller ones. So that doesn't count really.

And before someone starts another A vs. B war: I flew FRA-PMI on a brandnew Condor 757-300, one of the most beautiful aircraft in the skies nowadays, and on the inside it was....my legs immediately start hurting again just from the memory!!!

Recently I was on a 738 of Hapag-Lloyd (TUI), and it was somewhat better, same with their A310's, so you have to be very picky when choosing your holiday carrier!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos