PLL-LOT

US Back To IND

Thu May 15, 2003 9:25 pm

I was reading on an Indianapolis news station's website that US was eyeing the facilities at IND, now that UA has opened them. The article said that because US had ended its hub agreement with PIT, that it was considering the facilities at IND, including all those gates it abandoned in the early 90s. Strategically, IND would be good hub positioning. Does anyone, btw, know if there were ever nonstop flights from IND to JFK on US? This would have been in the early 80s. At the height of their hub ops in IND, I know US flew practically to every major city in America--just can't remember them all.

Thanks.

kace

RE: US Back To IND

Thu May 15, 2003 10:14 pm

At various times in the 90's, US and USAir Express served the following from IND:

PIT, BOS, LGA, EWR, PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD, PIT, BUF, CLE, CAK, CMH, DAY, TOL, CVG, SDF, LEX, BNA, CMI, DSM, OMA, EVV, FWA, SBN, GRR, DTW, KZO, LAN, MKE, MSN, MDW, STL, MCI, BNA, CLT, ATL, MCO, TPA, RSW, MIA, PHX, LAS, LAX, SFO, YYZ.

atcboy73

Thu May 15, 2003 10:25 pm

An interesting thought.

US says in IND, hey, let all the other airlines go share the new terminal and we will stay in the old terminal. Lets fix it up and move our PIT hub there.

How many gates are in the old terminal and could lit be made to where people changing concourses might not have to go in and out of security?

PLL-LOT

Thu May 15, 2003 11:33 pm

In the US Wing alone, there are at least ten gates, and I think the other three wings have 6 apiece. I could be wrong. Thoughts?

And yes, it could be arranged so that you could transfer without going through security,

b764

Fri May 16, 2003 12:07 am

This seems like a good idea. The only thing is it's proximity to ORD. Would this hurt any code-sharing between US & UA?

Dump PIT (so you don't compete with your other hub, PHL)
Your only competition @ IND is ATA, not real serious.

I will miss connecting in PIT for my Michigan departures.

ouboy79

Fri May 16, 2003 1:06 am

There won't be a hub in IND again...they tried once, it failed. The O&D isn't there to support a larger hub operation - more than what ATA already has. Moving to IND would just be PIT all over again. For now the only talk is to move mx into the ex-UA facilities - nothing else.

Cody

Fri May 16, 2003 2:04 am

I don't think they ever flew to JFK from IND. I don't think Lake Central even did that. By the way, isn't Chautauqua occupying the former Lake Central / Allegheny hangar now? It sits right across from the USAirways / USairways Express gates.

LV

Fri May 16, 2003 2:31 am

No way is US going back to IND as a hub. I think they are just biding their time till AA dismantles STL.

As far as the UA MX you speak of. I think the MX base will end up with Fed Ex. Fed Ex currently uses the old US hanger but I could see them taking over part of the UA MX base as they expand their ops at IND.

SegmentKing

Fri May 16, 2003 2:41 am

I'm hearing TIMCO...

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

DCA-ROCguy

Fri May 16, 2003 2:59 am

There won't be a hub in IND again...they tried once, it failed. The O&D isn't there to support a larger hub operation - more than what ATA already has. Moving to IND would just be PIT all over again. For now the only talk is to move mx into the ex-UA facilities - nothing else.

What he said. I'd just add that there already are established network-carrier hubs at surrounding airports and there isn't need for another one. If anything, the shakeout over the next few years may see one or more of those existing hubs closed.

Indy may also want to rethink that big midfield terminal they've broken ground for. Again, think PIT. BAA would take on lots of debt in a market that can't expect to see big growth. The existing terminal is dull but has enough capacity for awhile. It's also on the town side of the airport. BAA could spiff it up and widen roads for lots less money, and not risk having leases thrown out in network-airline bankruptcy court proceedings.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri May 16, 2003 6:23 am

Another point is that IND has no more benefits to its network than PIT. Its still too far east to expand the network anymore than currently. IND would not to anything to improve their East-West flow across the country and would allow for the same North-South connections. With PIT at least you nearly own some of the smaller turboprop markets in upstate NY, PA, WV, VA, and OH. With IND, know you face stiff competition from ORD, DTW, CVG, CLE, & STL.