sndp

Virgin Will NOT Start Paris Services

Fri May 16, 2003 8:17 pm

According to BELGA Virgin Express will return the slots it obtained in Paris Orly to the slot coordinator as Virgin wants to concentrate on Zaventem Airport. Sources close to Virgin Express confirmed me, just a week ago, that people were being recruited for the Paris services. The priorities have changed however, it seems. We need to wait for the reasons why. Possibly the low fare carrier wants the money it has to be spend on strengthening its position in Brussels. We mayu assume that the current economic climate puts a lot of pressure on the margins of all carriers, include Virgin.
The Amsterdam-Rome service is running good, so no changes are to be expected here, according to me.

sndp

sndp

RE: Virgin Will NOT Start Paris Services

Fri May 16, 2003 8:24 pm

UPDATE

Virgin returns the slots as it only obtained around 5800, having requested 25000. As it could only operate three routes with this amount of slots, it was not enough for a carrier as Virgin to start services at this airport, according to the spokesman.

regards

sndp

BestWestern

Fri May 16, 2003 8:41 pm

Yet another about turn at Virgin Express, following CGN, SNN, STN, FCO....
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

sndp

Fri May 16, 2003 9:10 pm

In this case they could not foresee that they would only get such a small amount of slots. Their Business Plan was built and valid with 25000. The fact that they need to change their plans is because of something beyond their control. I think it is a wise desicion not to proceed. Would'n it have been a turn if they would have started first, with the small amount of routes, to find out later that it is not survivable?

But you are right, they have made quite a lot of changes to their business plan. But they are still alive and if I am not mistaken, the biggest and most punctual carrier at Brussels Airport.

sndp

sterne82

Fri May 16, 2003 9:32 pm

Biggest in Bru: No

Most ponctual in Bru: No

Who is both of them? SNBA...

Regards,

Sterne

A320-addict

Fri May 16, 2003 9:34 pm

'Biggest and most punctual carrier at Brussels'

Have you been lately at Brussels airport?! Even 1.5 year after the
bankruptcy of Sabena the airport IS EMPTY! sometimes the tarmac
looks so deserted!

Almost every airlines that operates now out of BRU has a very
good punctuality! (certainly with the new A pier, which is even
closer to the take-off runway!)

AA

lumumba

Fri May 16, 2003 9:44 pm

Hi A320
It's true wat you are saying about BRU and that is one of the jokers there are gooing to use to atract big players like A.A to make a hub en spoke!
There is a lot of growing capacity here.
Regards
Patrice

Sabena 690

Fri May 16, 2003 10:34 pm

I'm disgusted with what I have to read in the newspapers about our government.

They almost want to close BRU. Cargo's and charters have to divert to Lille,..., a minimum of scheduled flights may be kept at BRU.

What do does brainless a$$holes actually think? That they can do electoral games with an airport as much as they want?

lumumba

Fri May 16, 2003 10:41 pm

Hi Sabena 690
Relax they will close nothing they just invested billions of Euro's in this airport.
A pier ,B pier Etc....
But maybe they will stop night flight.
Bru is to close to the city i think it's better for DHL to use a airport like Liege .
Regards
Patrice

sndp

Sat May 17, 2003 12:56 am

Sorry for the mistake about Virgin having most flights out of BRU, thought that was still true!! I know, however, that they manage to be quite on time and I was able to experience this myself also the latest weeks.

Does anyone know how SNBA is doing on the routes they are serving with the A319? Are they able to get reasonable load factors on these flights?

Thanks for your answers,
regards,

sndp