United777
Topic Author

PIA Vs Air India

Mon May 19, 2003 5:36 pm

Okay first before I start this topic. I don't want to start any India Vs. Pakistan comments okay so please if it seems like it all apologizes from me. Please know I am from India but have family in Pakistan also. Okay now to the topic.

How come it seems like Pakistan International Airlines has a better route network than Air India. Air India dominates in the Middle East but when it comes to Asia and Europe it seems like PIA has a better network and flies to more destinations. PIA flies to Beijing and Manila in Asia and Birmingham, Manchester, Copenhagen, Oslo, Athens, Rome and Istanbul in Europe. All these Air India does not. If PIA has a market to these cites how come Air India does not. I think Air India would do very good in cities such as Copenhagen and Oslo.

Also concerning the fleet PIA as you all may know ordered a few 777's. I thought Air India would have ordered new aircraft way before PIA.

I am sure Air India's in-flight service is way better than PIA's but PIA has a better route network in my opinion.

Comparing PIA with AI is like comparing Singapore Airlines with Malaysia Airlines. I've always wondered why PIA flies to more cities than Air India.

airmale

RE: PIA Vs Air India

Tue May 20, 2003 2:18 am

At one time PK rated higher than AI in some poll service wise, why AI are not flying to more routes internationally is surprising to me too, considering the high number of people of Indian origin all over.
.....up there with the best!

Pe@rson

RE: PIA Vs Air India

Tue May 20, 2003 2:32 am

Let's not forget that more carriers fly from Asia, the Middle East and Europe to India than to Pakistan. So it's a question of whether AI wishes to compete or have a consensus on those routes. Nevertheless, I too am surprised that AI does not have a larger European or Asian route network, especially considering its (and IC's) comprehensive Middle Eastern network.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."