Sabena332
Topic Author

High Quality Or Cheap Travel Luggage?

Tue May 20, 2003 2:33 am

Sorry, I don`t know if this belongs here in the Civil Aviation forum but I think yes because it is aviation related.

My girlfriend destroyed my carry on trolley during we disembark the plane yesterday evening, now I am searching for a new one but I can`t decide what stuff I should buy, either a cheap one or an expensive one. There are a lot of good looking trolleys in the Lufthansa Sky Shop but they are really expensive (199 EUR), the company which produces the trolleys is called Rimowa.

Has anyone such a Rimowa trolley? If yes, can you recommend to buy one and is the quality good?

What would you do, buy a cheap one and give a damn (buy again a cheap one) when it breaks again or buy an expensive one which has a better quality?

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ZSSNC

RE: High Quality Or Cheap Travel Luggage?

Tue May 20, 2003 2:51 am

Patrick,

I just happened to witness a LH flight attendant at the suitcase repair station in one of the baggage claim areas of T1 in FRA which asked for a repair of such an aluminum Rimowa trolley because the wheels had broken off of hers. She claimed that she had just used it for one month... Doesn't sound like good quality. However, they really look cool. But then again, when I had a look at the ones that would be acceptable as carry-ons on LH planes I was really a bit shocked about how heavy they were. Btw, there is a store in DTM (I think it was Redder M. Lederwaren, Kleppingstr. 29) that always has them on sale (seems that they can't get rid of last years model).

ZSSNC

[Edited 2003-05-19 19:54:42]
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

Airbus_A340

Tue May 20, 2003 3:01 am

Hi there,
I always use Samsonite luggage, I have about 4 different sizes (obviously for different purposes/length of stay, etc) 1 of them is about 10 years old and is still working great, just like their slogan says "World Proof". There is a 3 year waranty included with a purchase. They also have Repair Centres for substantial repairs around the world, for minor damages, your local dealer should be able to fix it.
http://www.samsonite.com/global/globl_homepage.jsp
As you see, I've trusted them for years and they're great.

Hope that helps!

Airbus_A340
People. They make an airline. www.cathaypacific.com

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2003 3:51 am

Thanks for your stories and opinions guys!

@ZSSNC: Seems that the quality of the Rimowa trolleys is not the best when the F/A`s was already broken after one month, thanks for sharing the story. Also thanks for the address of the shop in DTM, tomorrow morning I will look in a few different shops in Bochum and Dortmund, I hope I will find a new trolley.

@Airbus_A340: Thanks for the tip, I never thought about Samsonite, I will take a closer look on them during my "shopping tour" tomorrow morning. Maybe I will buy a Samsonite when the quality is ok and the design is nice.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Greg

Tue May 20, 2003 4:41 am

Dont go crazy...buy the best you can afford. Never the cheap shit.
I go about 300K miles/year....and you can't underestimate what airlines can do to your luggage!

Don't go into debt. But if you travel frequently good luggage should last a few years.

Dalmd88

Tue May 20, 2003 5:44 am

I've used a TravelPro roller for about two years. The quality is great and the price was about $125 in ATL FlightShop.com.

dinker225

Tue May 20, 2003 7:01 am

Definatly don't go for the cheap stuff unless you only plan on using it once. I bought a cheap one last June in Australia to bring home the extra stuff that I purchased or was given to me from my relatives. From Adelaide to San francico the bag was already broken. Luckily it made it back to Denver without loosing anything. It did the job it was supposed to for about $13 US dollars. It still works but not for flying. Go for the higher quality ones that the arm you pull on retracts into a protected pouch. That was the first thing to go on my bag.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

chautauquasaab

Tue May 20, 2003 7:03 am

Tumi brand luggage is simply the best.

bobrayner

Tue May 20, 2003 7:38 am

I'll fly in the face of majority opinion and say that cheaper stuff is sometimes the best option  Wink/being sarcastic

For weekend travel, I have a basic €30 soft leather bag. There's no prominent logo, but the leather is nice enough, and it's a very simple design - nothing to catch or snag or fray or break. It'll look smart for years yet because there's just nothing to go wrong with it. Plus, it makes the most of luggage allowances, and it's versatile.

What's the point in spending 10x as much on something that will look no better a few years hence, apart from having a different label?

Hard-sided cases are nice in principle, but I find they're more vulnerable to some forms of scuffing &c. (which is pretty much unavoidable), and for surface travel they can often be impractical.

The more complex and/or rigid your luggage, the more you come to rely on good design, which is where the expensive brands come in.
Cunning linguist

bobrayner

Tue May 20, 2003 7:44 am

I have a real weakness for muji aluminium stuff, but so far their range doesn't include any useful luggage  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Cunning linguist

antonovman

Tue May 20, 2003 7:59 am

i am flying all the time as a crew member abd i have found there is no difference if i buy a cheap one or an expensive one, they seem to last the same time

Tue May 20, 2003 10:38 am

Stay away from the hard side luggage, they will dent, scratch and if they fall out of say a 757 they tend to break open and yes bags do fall out of aircraft. When I would offlaod the aft of a 757 alone, I would usually throw 6 or 7 bags that would bounce off the betloader.

Now from working in baggage service I took more damage claims for Samsonite, anything hard and Tumi's. I took the least amount of damage files for American Tourister(which I use and have had my current one for 4 years with no damage as of yet).

Exspensive does not mean quality. But stay away from the $20 ones at wal-mart and such.

drewwright

Tue May 20, 2003 12:02 pm

Travel Pro all the way! Travel Pro was the company that invented the rollaboard suitcase. Many airlines only allow employees to use this brand. It is expensive but very durable. Try to get a "suiter" they are very nifty!
DRW

Sabena332
Topic Author

Tue May 20, 2003 10:49 pm

I just bought a new carry-on trolley, the same like in my post above but without the Lufthansa logo. It was a little bit pricey (199 EUR but I got 3% off) but the quality looks very good, it is very light (only 2,4 kg) and I have a 5 year warranty. Now I am looking forward to many interesting journeys with my new luggage.

Patrick

Stretch 8

Tue May 20, 2003 11:15 pm

I use a soft leather duffle bag that I bought from BMW. I also take alone my attache. I travel very light regardless of where I am going, and I like traveling with one bag that I can sling over my shoulder. I do not care for the pull kind of suitcase with wheels. Too girly.

Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Cleco

Tue May 20, 2003 11:36 pm

Hey,

I use to work at Cleveland Trunk. Its a luggage store. Go with TravelPro. Its one of the best out there. Beats the hell out of Hartmann, everyone complained about Hartmann. Travelpro Platinum III is the best.

Jake
EMBRY-RIDDLE BABY

BestWestern

Tue May 20, 2003 11:46 pm

Samsonite bages are excellent... I have a five year old Samsonite roll-aboard that does 100k+ miles annually, and is now only starting to come to the end of its life. The wheels are perfect, just the exterior soft lining is worn..

The $16.99 suitcases last 1 - 2 trips before legs and wheels fall off. You also find that the cheaper roll-along bags are very unstable and the bags tend to rock.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

GOTbound

Wed May 21, 2003 12:02 am

Carlton does it for me...

LHR340

Wed May 21, 2003 1:08 am

I bought a suitcase for 80pound when I went to Italy, it is a hardcase and silver, and it got totally ruined, dented and scratched  Sad so its up to you but I woudn't go that expensive. And on a recent trip to Tenerife, it came back worse...

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

Wed May 21, 2003 1:31 am

I'd like to add my $0.02...

I don't think that you can go wrong with hard-sided Samsonite luggage. That being said, unless you going to be traveling a LOT, it probably doesn't really make that much difference what stuff you use. If you just make the occassional trip, you're just as well off with cheap stuff.

I like the hard-sided stuff for a couple of reasons - it tends to keep things dry when the luggage is out on the ramp waiting to be loaded and it seems (to me, at least) that hard-sided cases give you a bit more protection when the luggage get knocked around by the baggage guys.

I've worn out several suitcases, over the years - they seem to break at the hinges, probably my fault from constantly over packing them. I've never had a wheel or bearing wear out, but in cheap cases the rivets that hold the wheel assembly will sometimes let loose. (The guy who invented rolling suit cases deserves to be a millionaire!  Big thumbs up)

If you really want some informed information, I'd get a hold of a Consumers Report Buyer's Guide.

Jetguy

mf3864

Wed May 21, 2003 2:35 am

high quality but, cheap  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

in the states, Marshalls, TJMaxx have good prices on samsonite, travelpro etc... also try www.ebags.com they have all sorts. i tend to pick up travelpro, skyway, or samsonite. the last travelpro bag i bought was 99$ US at marshalls, 23" "carry-on" size. its good quality, so it will hold up but, not a 1000$ Louis or Coach bag that I will cry if it gets scratched... (and it will)

Samurai 777

Wed May 21, 2003 2:37 am

I'd go for Samsonite, regardless of what others think. It's one of the most trusted names in suitcases.

My parents have a couple of hard sided Samsonite suitcases - and they have been using it for over 20 years! And, yes, they were frequently used. I remember baggage come off onto the carousel at HNL back in 1989 off a Wardair flight - there were a lot of damaged baggage, including those that fell apart with clothes coming out! And yet, our Samsonites survived very well.

As for me, I only have a large McBrine pull suitcase with trolley wheels (looks like a crappy brand - I'm amazed it's lasted as long as it has, which is at least 5 years!). I don't use it very often, because I usually travel as light as possible - just an Outbound backpack on my back. Big grin

bobrayner

Wed May 21, 2003 2:43 am

Incidentally, I bought a fake samsonite in Beijing; having been on an uncharacteristic shopping spree, I needed an extra bag to carry all my stuff home...

The tow-handle broke (both risers) 72 hours later. That's durability.  Smile
Cunning linguist

jjbiv

Sun May 25, 2003 4:07 am

L.L. Bean - if it breaks, they fix it. Free. What more could you want?

joe

IHadAPheo

Sun May 25, 2003 10:06 am

I have a Silhouette 8 Jumbo Suiter hard sided out of ABS, 10 year warranty, built like a tank, big enough stuff enough into to strain even the biggest baggage handler. I also got mine from Ebags it was about $200.00 including shipping and so far has taken the few flights we have take with only the slightest scratches.

Yours,
IHadAPheo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

teahan

Sun May 25, 2003 10:26 am

I bought a roll-on trolley in Hong Kong 3 years ago for about US$25 and it is still in a pretty decent condition. Only problem is that it is slightly larger than the legal dimensions so I avoid showing it at check-in, particularly when flying LCCs.  Big grin

My mum bought a Samsonite suitcase last year and it is already in a pretty nasty condition. "Normal wear and tear" say the airlines... hmmmm.

I avoid hard case luggage, it gets damaged and dented way too easily. While it can still be used, it looks like crap.

BTW, how did your girlfriend destroy your carry-on trolley?

Jeremiah
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

ryanb741

Sun May 25, 2003 7:56 pm

I have a Hard Case Samsonite suitcase which is really lightweight and robust. It was fairly pricey but IMHO it was worth it for the strength of it and the fact it protects my luggage. My wife uses a Prada carry-on bag - that was really expensive but is quite strong and does the job well.

Don't buy cheap sh*t - it only makes you look cheap. I would hate to meet a client at the airport with a £10 suitcase, it just isn't the done thing.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

aloges

Sun May 25, 2003 8:30 pm

I'm still pretty happy with my Samsonite hard-top case. Although it's light and rather big, it has suffered nothing but a few scratches yet. It's been to SCL and the North Cape, done a lot of travelling in Brazil, been smashed on ships and nearly always been very heavy; meaning it was a pain to lift it. The wheels have taken everything from tiles to gravel, and they only look a bit worn. The handles are still as fast as they were on the first day.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Jumbolino

Mon May 26, 2003 1:38 am

Hello Patrick,
nearby VIE I did a little shopping tour and like usual it doesn't fit in the luggage I had with me  Sad
well, bought a trolley for 10 EUR - no, definitly not a joke, I could show you the bill and after three addidtional trips it's still working and doesn't look bad but - very - blue
here you can see it (and my family too, because I cannot make another pic now, my camera is still in INN and I'm in switzerland).
10 EUR trolley

Jumbolino
Kind Regards, Jutta.

Mon May 26, 2003 1:40 am

Traveling with Hartmann luggage, I've never had any problems. You could drive a truck over them and they'd still be fine. They are expensive, yes, but you pay for quality that last for decades.

srbmod

Mon May 26, 2003 3:23 am

I have to agree on going to a store like TJ Maxx or Marshalls (they're both owned by the same company), which sells overstock goods (they pick up goods from manufacturers that are either: a.) the company who ordered the item(s) cancelled the order, b.)The manufacturer made too many pieces, or c.) Last year's style. The last time I went into a TJ Maxx, I couldn't believe the brands of luggage they had there. If would have brought a lot more cash I could have pick up some name brand luggage for a fraction of the price. They always seem to have Samsonite or American Tourister, and I even saw some Delsey luggage there as well. I do need to pick me up an upright roller; my luggage is 10 years old, and none of it is small enough to carry on the a/c.

deltairlines

Mon May 26, 2003 4:30 am

TJs and Marshalls are pretty much where I do all my shopping (the 10% discount I get does make a difference), and I will agree with Srbmod that the folks in that Department are doing their jobs pretty well. I have many suitcases from TJX companies, some of which have lasted me for about 15 years now.

Jeff

trintocan

Mon May 26, 2003 8:09 am

Go for quality whenever you can - buying cheap cases every few months is truly false economy. I learnt that the hard way when I travelled to POS last February from LHR with my new, large, £20 suitcase I had bought in the market. When I arrived the case had been crushed flat and had a huge tear - fortunately nothing was missing. Travel to POS, especially at peak times (that was Carnival time) is prone to cause damaged luggage and certainly a good case would have fared better.

Stick with Samsonite or whichever other good brand serves you well.

TrintoCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

Andreas

Mon May 26, 2003 4:47 pm

I go Samsonite all the way...my board case does have 6 years now, and hundreds of thousands miles in the air and on airports on 4 continents, and it only shows some rough edges at the exterior lining...looks like it will do another 5 years. I like that, quality that shows and keeps all its promises...I've seen too many cheap bags come apart when the going gets rough, and you don't need that when travelling!

btw: Tumi is great, right... and looks great, but you have to get a good discount in oder to make it a good deal...these things are just way too expensive!!

Rimova is one of the oldest and best-reputed bag and case manufacturers in Germany, from Cologne-Ossendorf (worst part of the city!!), and usually best quality, their aluminum cases are well known and seen all around the world, famous for their durability and whoever says differently...well I guess to each his personal opinion...I don't like them because they are too heavy for my taste and as a board case I like softcover, and afaik they don't have that!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

luxair66

Mon May 26, 2003 9:02 pm

I had a soft Carlton roller (about 50GBP) that I used every week between London And Luxembourg, it lasted about 3 months before it fell to pieces. I then bought a hard Carlton roller for about the same money, this lasted almost a year, weekly commute on the same route, until the bearings on the wheels wore out.

The past 6 months I've been using a hard Antler roller that I got free with the points from my AmEx card (retails for about 100GBP). This has so far survived the weekly commute between London and Zurich.

If you're going to travel regular, don't skimp on luggage, go for good quality, reasonably priced. I guess you should also bear in mind if you check in your luggage or carry it onto your flight. And don't be tempted by fancy designer stuff, you'll only be disappointed at all the scratches after the first flight.