odie

Malaysia Air To Re-adjust Capacity

Wed May 21, 2003 10:39 am

After announcing it's first profit in 5 years, Malaysia Air (MH) have also announced the following changes to its schedule:

Australia:
Adelaide: 4th frequency to be introduced in July.
Sydney, Melbourne, Perth: Expected to increase frequencies to these cities when the northern winter 2003 schedules begin.

Asia:
Bangalore: 3rd frequency to be introduced in October.
Balikpapan: New destinations for MAS to be inaugurated in July, served from either Kuching or Kota Kinabalu.
Colombo: 3rd frequency to be introduced in July.
*Dubai: Frequency increase expected, but no time frame have been set
Ho Chi Minh City / Saigon: Frequency will be increased from 7 weekly to 10 weekly flights in July.
Hyderabad: 2nd and 3rd frequency to be introduced in July.
Jogjakarta: New destinations for MAS to be inaugurated in October, served from either Kuching or Kota Kinabalu.
Manado: New destinations for MAS to be inaugurated in August, served from either Kuching or Kota Kinabalu.
Mumbai: 5th and 6th frequency to be introduced in October.
Padang: New destinations for MAS to be inaugurated in September, served from either Kuching or Kota Kinabalu.

Europe:
Frankfurt, Rome & Vienna: This seems to be a bit sketchy at the moment, but I think they are going to have KUL-FRA-FCO 4 times weekly and KUL-FRA-VIE 3 times weekly.
London: 2 new weekly flights from Langkawi and Penang each from October. (God what are they thinking? Thought the more popular flights from Kuala Lumpur to London is MH 8, that departs at 9 in the morning. I hope they are planning on LGK/PEN-KUL-LHR instead of KUL-LGK/PEN-LHR flights, and MH said this will make their European flights more "exciting"  Yeah sure)
Manchester: 4th frequency to be introduced in July.

In addition to that, MAS have grounded one B772, three B734s and two A330s during the SARS outbreak.

This is definitely a welcoming news for both Manchester and Adelaide, but having their London flights routed via Penang and Langkawi is absurd. Just one or two years ago, they announced that they would want to concentrate on its KUL hub and now they are reopening international routes from Penang, Langkawi, Kuching and Kota Kinabalu, which practically contradicts what they had announced earlier.

Looks like their Amsterdam aircraft upgrade was justified after all. Don't think Frankfurt have been doing too well for MH. Still no news about MH going daily into Paris?

* Edited

[Edited 2003-05-21 04:05:40]

ZK-NBT

RE: Malaysia Air To Re-adjust Capacity

Wed May 21, 2003 6:19 pm

I also heard that they are changing the KUL-BNE-AKL route. This will be reduced from 5 to 3 weekly I heard. KUL-BNE will then get 3 new A330-200 flights. Not sure what will happen to AKL though because the flights being dropped are the weekend flights out of AKL, so I am sort of guessing that they will change these flights to non-stop AKL-KUL.

This is surposed to take affect from July 1.

David_itl

Wed May 21, 2003 6:50 pm

Is the MH increase in frequency to MAN as a result of SQ launching non-stop services or becuase they are profitable?

David

Airbus Lover

Wed May 21, 2003 8:36 pm

MH's MAN flights go out full most of the time! so I guess it is profitable.

VH-OJO

Wed May 21, 2003 9:04 pm

Will the equipment be upgraded to 744 on VIE flights if routed via FRA ? It is currently 772 via FCO.

VH-OJO

Ryanair!!!

Wed May 21, 2003 9:40 pm

Hmm... I am not too hopeful about the LHR - PEN / LGK flights. Can the runway in LGK even take a 744??
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

9V-SPK

Wed May 21, 2003 9:44 pm

Odie, how's the loading for Vienna? Currently Lauda also operates that route but I believe quite a proportion of passengers are from the extension Australian flight. SQ couldn't get enough demand on the Vienna route (Though they used B743/744) so where does MH get the loads from?

Best Regards

Airbus Lover

Wed May 21, 2003 10:16 pm

LGK (Langkawi) receives many charter flights from Europe all the time!

The runway is 13,000 foot long I believe, slightly longer than that of PEN's.

MAS777

Wed May 21, 2003 10:18 pm

I should think that the London flights would continue to operate via KUL. London is MAS' most important long-haul destination and with a monopoly on the route - MAS perhaps is trying to expose (under the vices of the Malaysian govt and Tourism Malaysia) the other smaller International ports in Malaysia to the Western world.

Many passengers on the flights I have been on to KUL stay in KUL if travelling on business (or are from KL) or wait in transit for Langkawi or Penang if they are on holiday (or are from Penang). So let's say MH7 operated LHR-KUL-PEN/LGK, passengers would simply stay on the same aircraft for the transfer. The flight would simply return as MH2 that same evening to KUL and continue on to London. This would also expose Langkawi and Penang to Heathrow users (since it would appear on monitor screens at Terminal 3 and Ceefax) and MAS would also be able to advertise direct flights to these islands.

Another recent posting stated that Kuching was also to be on that list - although I think an LHR-KUL-KCH routing would be far more difficult to roster in terms of aircraft usage.

However, if they have gone completely bonkers (note unreasonable in todays world), the UK CAA may have approved a new KUL-PEN-LHR and KUL-LGK-LHR service, which could be in addition to the MH7/MH8 which currently only flies 4 times a week.

On another note - I don't think Padang will be routed via Borneo since it is West of KL. Another posting stated that the other Indonesian start-ups were to be hubbed at BKI as part of the SAEAGA cooperative.

I think the VIE route is not doing too badly. MAS did withdraw from VIE but reinstated its own service. Like most European traffic ex KUL and SIN - most of it is in transit to other parts of Asia and Australia/NZ.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jason Taperell

MAS777

Wed May 21, 2003 10:23 pm

According to the Star newspaper - 'some of MAS' services to London are being rerouted VIA Penang and Langkawi.' By this - I take it I am wrong and they flights will operate KUL-PEN/LGK-LHR.

Let's hope its MH4 and MH7 - since they have the oddest timings.

MAS777

Wed May 21, 2003 10:30 pm

Oh dear - checked New Straits Times, its KUL-PEN-LHR and KUL-LGK-LHR both routes will operate twice weekly... looks likely to be MH8 and MH7 - the flights I always travel on...

..oh well - guess at least I'll get to see these airports again each time!

Airbus Lover

Wed May 21, 2003 11:11 pm

SGN -- It is great to see that they are finally allowed to increase frequency into Ho Chi Minh City which is long hoped for.

Jogjakarta, Manando and Padang -- Like OdiE said, it contradicts their plan at first to focus at KUL as a hub and now they are starting flights to these destinations from Borneo when there isn't even a flight from KUL yet. If they have flights to these places from KUL and proves to be successful then they might have better reasons to try to bring it to KCH or BKI.

Europe -- Heard they are doing fairly well in Europe and hopefully this trend continues and they can add more destinations in Europe.

Paris -- what happened to their application for daily flights into CDG?

London -- Again I think the government is behind this. I dont think neither PEN or LGK could support non-stop flights to LHR even though flight begins at KUL. Nonetheless, I hope it is successful as so the flight PEN-LHR will depart in the morning (good for taking pics  Big grin) then we will see B744s of MH in PEN again  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

mas a330

Wed May 21, 2003 11:13 pm

I don't think its a good idea to operate KUL-PEN-LHR or KUL-LGK-LHR.

They would be better off PEN/LGK-KUL-LHR, IMHO.

odie

Thu May 22, 2003 2:39 am

I doubt they will re-route MH 1/2/3/4 via LGK or PEN since Virgin code-shares with MH on these flights. MH 7/8 seems to be a more likely candidate. But then again, MH 8 carries a lot of transfer traffic originating from Australia. MH 4 would probably carry more O&D traffic or traffic from Singapore/Malaysia. Let' not even go to MH 2, that's like their premium flight. Passengers need to pay more to fly on that flight.

How much traffic can they generate between London and Langkawi/Penang that warrants 2 B744 flights a week? Although there are a lot of O&D traffic between Malaysia and UK, but I still doubt their move to re-route their KUL-LHR flights via LGK and PEN. Plus, MH relies on transfer traffic too and I guess passengers wouldn't be too happy flying between UK and Australia with 2 intermediate stops. All I can say is some state tourism minister just want to get their states more exposed to the world and making these irrational flight plans. (e.g. the latest one being the Sarawak tourism minister who wanted MAS to fly from Kuching to London, New Zealand and Australia and they don't realize that there aren't any premium traffic to justify these flights)

The media could be wrong, but I believe that Jogjakarta and Padang would probably be served from KUL instead of Borneo. Jogjakarta is in Java and Padang is in Sumatra and I would say flying from KUL would probably generate more traffic rather than from Borneo. Balikpapan and Manado will be served from BKI/KCH just coz there are more traffic between these cities compared to KUL.

ZK-NBT: This means KUL-AKL will be served 4 times weekly and KUL-BNE-AKL will be served 3 times weekly? And KUL-BNE 6 times weekly (3 continuing to AKL and 3 turn around services)? Yeah, they should fly their A332 somewhere else beside Kuching, Kota Kinabalu and Singapore.

David_itl: MH have been doing pretty well in the back of the aircraft. There are virtually no First Class passnegers, but there are some Business Class passengers though. It will be great if MH can operate 5-6 times weekly using B772 in a two-class configuration (they are planning to introduce 2-class configuration in the next year or two).

VH-OJO: All flights to FRA are operated by B772. They had changed their aircraft 1 or 2 years back from operating 5 weekly B744 flights to daily B772 flights.

9V-SPK: I seriously don't know, but maybe there are some Eastern European traffic? But, they could easily make use of OS' flight to Australia and Asia? Plus, passengers from other cities beside Vienna would need 3 stops instead of 2 to Australia.

Airbus Lover: I think they already have rights for 6 weekly flights and they are planning to fly 6 times a week into Paris before the SARS hit. Guess it's down to 5 weekly now. They will probably wait and see if they can generate more traffic from Paris now. Dublin, Madrid, Copenhagen or Stockholm seems to be some of the ideal destinations. There are a lot of tourist from these countries. I am really surprised that MH do not fly into Stockholm. Malaysia receive a lot of Swedish tourist and there's a lot of trade between Malaysia and Sweden. The number of Spanish tourist outnumbers tourist from Austria, France, Holland, Italy and Switzerland, but yet MH have flights to these countries but not Spain. Perhaps something to do with economic trade between these two countries? There are a lot of Spanish tourist in Malaysia, but I have yet to spot one though!

regards.

Ex_SQer

Thu May 22, 2003 5:16 am

SQ couldn't get enough demand on the Vienna route (Though they used B743/744)
SQ once operated 343s nonstop too. VIE yields were terrible!

Odie: Yogya or Solo? I think Solo has a much better equipped airport. I also think that Balikpapancan be better served from KUL for connecting traffic - there is a fair amount of oil traffic from the US and Europe to BPN.

MAS777

Thu May 22, 2003 7:46 am

Balikpapan to Kota Kinabalu would also cater to premium petroleum workers since they would be able to connect to the gas/oil fields near Sabah, Brunei and Miri. Petroleum employees also get to connect with Hong Kong, Korea and Japan via BKI.

I agree with OdiE - Yogyakarta and Padang will be ex-KUL.

Guess LHR-KUL with a stop in Langkawi and Penang would be interesting but since I only travel mainly to KUL and rarely to Sydney/Melbourne - I wouldn't mind the stop. Should I be travelling to Oz - I would then choose to travel on MH1/2/3/4 since MH7 only leaves an hour or so before MH2. Coming back however, MH8 is the main connecting flight from Oz.

On another note, I think the code-share with Virgin expires in 2005? Perhaps starting a second and third port between the UK and Malaysia may be advantages to the next round of ASA talks between the two countries, if MAS gets bums on seats between the islands and LHR - perhaps they could justify extra flights..dunno...

ZK-NBT

Thu May 22, 2003 4:18 pm

Nothing in the MAS schedules yet for any of the mentioned.

Did I get it right that they have gotten new rights to fly from other Australian cities to AKL? I also heard that Christchurch was a possiblity for MAS, that was a while ago, like last year. Someone said that they could possibly operate the EZE service via AKL instead of JNB/CPT, I think that could work, if they can gets feeder traffic from Australia, not sure how but it's possible.

rupertvander82

Thu May 22, 2003 4:47 pm

Qantas used to fly the SYD-EZE route, I think. Not too sure if they do now. So if MAS do ply that route, they might be competing with QF.

I'm just wondering, does MAS have daily morning flights to LHR now? Or are they suspended for a while due to the SARS scare? My sister is flying MAS to LHR on the night flight, and when I asked her why she does not take the cheaper morning flight, she insisted that MAS does not fly any morning flights to LHR now.

It also seems that MAS is starting destinations that are covered by Silkair...

ZK-NBT

Thu May 22, 2003 6:42 pm

QF quit EZE about a year ago now June 2002! The flight operated via AKL!

I'm sure it would make more sence for MAS to operate from KUL/LHR rather than any of the smaller cities in Malaysia.

MAS777

Thu May 22, 2003 8:08 pm

MAS has three flights a day to LHR from KUL on most days.

MH8 leaves in the morning on 2,3,6,7.
MH4 has since been puched back to leave towards lunchtime daily (but used to leave 1/5 hours after MH8
MH2 is their premium sleeper to LHR leaving every night just before midnight.

From LHR,

MH1 is their premium overnight sleeper again leaving at 2200 daily
MH7 leaves half and hour earlier to MH1 on 2,3,6,7.
MH3 is their lunchtime departure from LHR arriving KUL early each morning at 0720hrs.

mas a330

Thu May 22, 2003 8:47 pm

When does the KUL-LGK/PEN-LHR start?

My sister is booked on MH7/8 and i wonder if her flight will be affected

odie

Thu May 22, 2003 10:23 pm

MH have updated some of their schedules on their website. I am in a hurry now and can't explian much. Manchester will get a new flight on Thursdays. 3 new A332 services to Brisbane and services to AKL now goes 4 times weekly nonstop. For more information:

http://www.mas.com.my/

rupertvander82

Thu May 22, 2003 11:20 pm

MAS has almost 3 daily flights.... is there a reason why LHR allows MAS to have so many flights into its airport, when BA does not operate into KUL? I mean... QF and BA, sometimes Brunei Airways ply the route SIN-LHR so many times a day... and SQ only has 3 daily slots?

David_itl

Fri May 23, 2003 1:22 am

BA did operate into KUL but it wasn't profitable for them; BA (or rather Britain) have got 5th freedom rights out of SIN due political considerations (which may or may not have included letting SQ operate into MAN).

David

odie

Fri May 23, 2003 1:28 am

In fact, MAS was allowed to increase its frequency from 14 weekly to 18 weekly when British Air pulled out from KUL 2 years ago. Why? Because there's heavy demand between for air traffic between Malaysia and UK! Don't forget that Virgin code-shares with MH too on the LHR-KUL route. This is nothing new. MH have 6 weekly slots into Paris yet Air France doesn't flies into Malaysia. MH have dozen of flights into Australia (I think it's the largest international carrier into Australia after SQ and NZ) yet Australian Airlines have only one weekly service into Kota Kinabalu (soon to be).

By the way, I think SQ is happy with its 3 daily flights into London. The flight that departs mid-day is the less popular among the 3. MH want to increase its frequency to 3 daily if that's possible. How about SQ's flight to South Africa? It just works on the same concept here.

Anyway, rupertvander, you sure have a big thing against Malaysia/MH in general eh?

odie

Fri May 23, 2003 2:15 am

Adelaide - 4th frequency departs from KUL every Friday.

Auckland - nonstop B744 daily except Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays from KUL. Mondays, Wednesdays and Sundays operate via Brisbane.

Balikpapan - Mondays and Thursdays nonstop from Kuching; Tuesdays and Fridays nonstop from Kota Kinabalu

Brisbane - New A332 flight departing KUL every Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings. Return flight depart Brisbane late evening the same day. Flights to Auckalnd reduced from 5 weekly to 3 weekly. Flight to KUL increased from 5 weekly to 6 weekly.

Colombo - 3rd frequency departs from KUL nonstop to CMB every Monday.

Manado - New twice weekly B734 flights that operate every Thursday and Sunday via Kota Kinabalu.

Manchester - 4th frequency departs from KUL every Thursdays.

Paris - Frequency reduced from 5 weekly to 4 weekly. (Wednesday flights eliminated)

Perth - New KUL-KCH-PER flights departing from KUL every Sunday.

Singapore - MH 601/604/605/608 upgraded from A332 to A333.

Still waiting for the rest to be released. I am really interested in Frankfurt, Rome, Vienna and London's schedule changes.

odie

Fri May 23, 2003 5:12 am

Looks like Osaka and Seoul will be receiving those new A332 too.

Ex_SQer

Fri May 23, 2003 5:25 am

Rupervander: Landing rights are determined when countries negotiate their bilateral air services agreements. Whether or not an airline chooses to exercise those rights is usually another issue altogether. If the UK restricts MH's landing rights simply because BA chose not to operate to KUL, such a move would be considered in bad faith.

OdiE: SQ would be much happier with its LHR services if they could operate one of the SIN-LHR frequencies at night.

By the way I nicknamed rupervander "Singapore_Air Jr" and "Singapore_Air II" in another thread  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

MAS777

Fri May 23, 2003 7:32 am

British Airways still has fifth-freedom rights out of both KUL and SIN. BA operated LHR-KUL-Australia for 50 years give or take the few when it operated a TriStar during parts of the 80s and when LHR-KUL-CGK was doing well. The history dates back to the days of Imperial Airways!

On another note, other carriers still possessing fifth-freedom rights out of Kuala Lumpur (previous route no longer active), include,

Qantas (KUL-BAH/BOM/DAM-LHR, KUL-CGK (prehaps not 5F technically) and KUL-SIN)
Air France (post UTA take-over, who flew KUL-CGK-SYD-NOU)
Lufthansa (KUL-MEL-SYD and KUL-BKK)
MEA (KUL-SYD)
Japan Airlines (KUL-CGK but still operating on the KIX-SIN-KUL today)
Turkish Airlines (KUL-CGK)
Kuwait Airways (KUL-CGK)
China Airlines (KUL-ZRH and KUL-FRA)
Czech Airlines (KUL-CGK)

Not quite sure what would have happened to Sabena, JAT, Balkan and the likes since these carriers are now defunct?

Airbus Lover

Fri May 23, 2003 8:07 am

I thought they are doing good on the CDG flights, why reduce frequency?

Bcoz of SARS?

rupertvander82

Fri May 23, 2003 9:02 am

Ah!!!! I'm not obessed with SQ, neither am I anti MH. I flew MH several times in fact, and I find them to be a fine fine airline. No hard feelings.... although I do have something against the Malaysian press and some Malaysian government.... but let's not start some political discussion here.

I'm S_Air 2???? To tell you the truth, I know nuts about SQ, and I certainly do not find myself thinking of the SIA girls everyday!

I'll prefer a Swiss flight over an SQ one anytime!

Odie: I'm just wondering why MH has so many slots into LHR... that is all... *sigh*

nickofatlanta

Fri May 23, 2003 1:12 pm

Anymore thoughts on the feasability of MH routing their EZE flight via SYD/AKL? Is this anything more than a rumour?

odie

Fri May 23, 2003 2:25 pm

By the way, MH is going to reduce its frequency into Singapore from 7 daily flights to 5 weekly flights. All will be operated by A333 except MH 603/606 which will be operated by A332. Perhaps introducing the wide-body on such a short hop isn't the best idea. SQ reduce its frequency into KUL recently and now MH is going to reduce its frequency as well. When MH and SQ was flying their A310s and B734s, we could easily get 18 flights a day, and on a good day up to 22 flights a day between these two carriers. Now we have 10? And not to mention, some of these flights aren't really prime for connecting traffic too. There is no flights from SIN to KUL after 9 pm, which makes me wonder how is QF/BA going to connect its Australian passengers to KUL.

Rupertvander: Hope you don't take it in an offensive way from what I said earlier but BA and VS enjoy fifth freedom rights at KUL to various destinations. VS have the ability to sell seats between KUL and SYD (and MEL previously too) and this is rare, considering the fact that VS does not fly between KUL and SYD. MH doesn't even enjoy fifth freedom right at LHR. If rights are based on whether a not carrier utilize it, then we will have a lot less flights in the world today.

Ex_SQer: I believe MH is also pressing for another late night flight to London compared to the early morning departure, simply because there's more connecting traffic from Asia and Australia for the night flight. Also, both SQ and MH charges passenger more to travel on the night flight, so I am not surprise that both SQ and MH wants their 3rd daily flight to depart in the evening.

Airbud Lover: Probably they are suffering from over-capacity right now or didn't have enough time to market that flight? As far as I know, Paris is one of the busier European route, but what made MH to decrease its frequency into Paris is still unclear. Don't forget that MH carries a lot of transit passengers from other various points in Europe and America too, so maybe when they establish Paris as another hub in Europe, they can increase their frequency by then.

Mas777: Add Cathay's KUL-SIN rights too. They have rights for that sector but doubt they are going to operate that sector.

Nickofatlanta: Clueless. Sorry can't help you there dude.

rupertvander82

Fri May 23, 2003 3:54 pm

I thought the SIN-KUL route is a high in yields and extremely profitable? Wouldn't it make sense for foreign airlines to ply that route?

Odie: No offence of course! I just hope you did not get the wrong image of me!

mas a330

Sat May 24, 2003 12:02 am

7 daily - 5 weekly?
wow! big drop!

odie

Sat May 24, 2003 12:24 am

Sorry my bad. 7 daily to 5 daily.

I don't know, but previously, SIN was one of MH's most profitable routes, but I am just guessing that there's a lot of transfer traffic from SIN to KUL and onwards to MH's global network. SQ carries a lot of transit traffic between KUL and SIN too, but not too sure if they are profitable on that route though.

Competition is fierce for flights between KUL and SIN (look at how many flights SQ and MH provides, plus the daily JAL flight) and it's hard to compete with these carriers when they are flying so frequently. Also, don't forget the SE-Asian mentality that bigger and newer equals better.

MAS777

Sat May 24, 2003 3:48 am

Lets just hope things get better for good ol'KUL...

With KLM and Air France in talks, Delta code-sharing with Korean into KUL and Alitalia considering starting a MXP-KUL-SYD-MEL service, it could be an interesting time Malaysian aviation.

MAS should certainly seriously consider SkyTeam (nb - am sure they have already!)!

Imagine a grouping which would include the following...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Pritchard

View Large View Medium

Photo © Damiano GUALDONI
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Arnold

Ex_SQer

Sat May 24, 2003 6:06 am

Rupertvander: I didn't mean to say that you are S_Air, just that you seem almost as obsessed as he is about SQ (and yes I also recognise that nobody else can be THAT obsessed  Smile/happy/getting dizzy). No offense meant. Also, I'm with OdiE in that I sense an anti-MH bias in your posts.

OdiE: If MH manages to win early morning slots you can bet your bottom dollar that SQ will go nuts!

Also for Odie:
The KUL-SIN vv shuttle route by itself is not profitable for SQ (and probably not for MH too), but the transfer traffic generated on that route does boost SQ's loads on other routes, to I guess the losses are mitigated by that. I seem to recall MH saying publicly that SIN was one of its most profitable destinations, perhaps they meant traffic generated to/from SIN systemwide as opposed to the route itself.

The shuttle would be a lot more profitable if the route was flown by narrowbodies, but this is not feasible in Southeast Asia's operating environment. Overall, there is overcapacity, the fares are too low, and their aircraft are sub-optimal. If you use BA's LHR-MAN shuttle as a benchmark you'll see what I mean - that route is quite a cash cow - the operate it with more efficient B757s, and walkup fares used to be about GBP200 return in the late 90s (not sure what they are now).

Airbus Lover

Sat May 24, 2003 11:50 am

It would be great to see MH in Skyteam along with NW/KL and Skyteam gets as "integrated" as NW/KL or Star.

I do agree that they could just fly the shuttle KUL-SIN with narrowbodies.

ZK-NBT

Sat May 24, 2003 12:10 pm

KUL-AKL will become 4x weekly non-stop! Departing AKL on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Triple Seven

Sat May 24, 2003 2:40 pm

Ex_SQer,

How did SQ performed in the past with the 757 in the SIN-KUL run???

MAS777

Sat May 24, 2003 5:34 pm

The 757 should have been worn by Malaysia Airlines colours - I never quite understood why there was such a wide gap between their 737 and A330 capacity.

The 757 would be ideal for MAS to operate on routes to Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Hanoi, Manila, Phuket, Jakarta, Denpasar and the like. Singapore had usually been operated with 734s which I personally have never had a problem with but as mentioned, Asian mentality often means 'Bigger must be best', so MAS brought in these new A332s to compete 'head-to-head' with SQ on the Shuttle run - which again makes little sense since they operate under the 'joint shuttle scheme' (which must have been one of the first when it started), ie. just turn up, buy a 'shuttle' ticket and travel on either MH or SQ regardless.

The 757 would have also been ideal for MAS to start regional flights - eg. PEN-MAA or BKI-NRT, without having to reroute flights ex-KUL.

I used to love flying on SQ's 'pencil' 757s on the Shuttle. Those were the days when BA seats were so scarce out of KL that we often transited in Changi via SQ111/113/116/118 to catch BA11/12.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gary Watt
View Large View Medium

Photo © David Wong

Ex_SQer

Sat May 24, 2003 7:10 pm

Triple_Seven: I don't know - that was a little before my time  Smile I have been told that the 757s had slightly better operating economics than the 310s, though.

Ryanair!!!

Sat May 24, 2003 10:40 pm

Ya... at the end of the day, it was image that won the battle over the economics of operating a narrow body. SIA got rid of the 757 because the they thought the public preferred wide bodies. Is it true?

Triple Seven

Sun May 25, 2003 1:34 am

I was surprised at the rate that SQ got rid of the 757s. Bought them in 1984 and sold them to Delta in 1988(?)
With the retirement of the A310s set for year end the KUL-SIN route will be clustered with inefficient MHs A332 and SQs 772. Both A332s and 772s were reportedly much more effiecient when use on 6+ hours flight. Is it true that SQ was not happy with the performance of their 772s on the shuttle run and that is why they are looking again for an A310 replacement??

odie

Sun May 25, 2003 3:00 am

There are unconfirmed reports that MH is going to decrease it's frequency into Seoul from 7 weekly to 5 weekly and the aircraft is going to be downgraded (capacity wise, but IFE wise, it's an upgrade) from A333 to A332. Also the LAX-TPE-KUL flights might be reduced to 5 weekly flights until October 2003. Fukuoka which is temporarily suspended, might be suspended indefinitely.

Looks like MH is decreasing its capactiy into Skyteam's hub (Paris and Seoul), but KE is actually increasing its capacity to KUL. Since MH have 6 weekly flight slots into CDG, maybe they can fly B772 6 times weekly into CDG instead of 4 times weekly B744 (like what they did with FRA). When the market builds up, they can upgrade the aircraft to B744.

A321/A320/B737-NGs seems to be ideal for regional flights, with TV monitors installed instead of PTV. That will at least provide some form entertainment for passengers on flights that are longer than 2 hours. I seriously wonder what will SE-Asian think when they fly in America/Europe where they can be stuck in a B737/A320s for a flight that's 4-6 hours long and on top of that, you need to pay for entertainment (esp. in America). People are already complaining on a 55 minute hop between KUL and SIN (think the actual flying time is only around 40 minutes). Talk about claustrophobic.

Mas777: It's not the shuttle ticket holders SQ and MH is worrying about, but rather transit passengers, especially from these two countries. Travelers from Europe/America/Australia probably wouldn't give a damn what aircraft they are flying on the short hop. MH wants to attract customers from Singapore and thus, they need to provide wide-bodies between SIN and KUL too.

Ex_SQer: I doubt SQ and MH rely on the O&D between SIN and KUL, but rather transit traffic. A return economy class between SIN and KUL cost like USD 180? that's almost what you pay for a flight between New York and London in the low season (excluding tax. Tax for travel between America and UK is ridiculous)

Also, you mentioned shuttle traffic between MAN and LHR which is a cash cow for BA/BD. Funny how that won't work for MH and SQ. Residents of Kuala Lumpur and Singapore are rich (if I remember correctly, the per capita income of Kuala Lumpur residents is higher than that of residents of the city-state Singapore) but Asians tend to save a huge proportion of their income compared to others (think Singapore has the highest GDP savings in the world). Plus, the only other way to get to Singapore fast is by means of a car (let's not even talk about rail which takes forever just to reach Singapore and bus will probably takes 6 hours) But comparitively, there's a lot more option between MAN and LHR. Also, BA/BD tends to have this seat sale from time to time for the shuttle route, but I never see SQ/MH/JL having these sort of promotions.

rupertvander82

Sun May 25, 2003 9:33 am

if I remember correctly, the per capita income of Kuala Lumpur residents is higher than that of residents of the city-state Singapore

Is this some kind of joke?

odie

Sun May 25, 2003 11:14 am

Rupertvander82: According to Asiaweek's Asia Best Cities 2000 (I know is rather outdated) but, here's the average income for residents of both Kuala Lumpur and Singapore (not taking into account other parts of Malaysia, just the Kuala Lumpur residents)

Kuala Lumpur: US$ 58,579
Singapore: US$ 36,436

So effectively, the city of Kuala Lumpur is actually richer than Singapore.

Businessflyer

Sun May 25, 2003 11:21 am

OdiE...

That is true, but there was a lot of uncertainty as to how Asiaweek had got to these figures and other people were not able to replicate it. I think the general consensus was they they had made a mistake in their calcuations. Asiaweek is of course no longer with us....

Also, I remember reading somewhere that something like a third of all pax between KL and SG were travelling to Changi to pick up a SQ flight. It was considered a sufficiently larger number to encourage Dr. M to talk about. And since MH is now actively advertising amazing airfares from SG to around the world, you have to assume that there are quite a large proportion of SG to KL traffic which is going to pick up a MH flight (Ryanair!!! immediately springs to mind!)... It would be interesting to see the precise break downs....

Ryanair!!!

Sun May 25, 2003 11:44 am

Of course! I am one of the die hard ardent supporters of Penerbangan Malaysia!  Laugh out loud

Come to think of it, whenever I am checking in, I have a habit of eavesdropping on what is being told to the pax infront of me. I have always encountered pax that were only transit passengers in KL. More often than not, pax who are getting off in KL normally get shuttle tix, only crazy idots like me pay for a confirmed return tix (S$350 in Y and S$550 in P!).