What Would You Like At An Airport?

Fri Dec 03, 1999 10:10 pm

Just wondering, what sort of thing would you like to see at an airport???

IE: What sort of facillities, buildings, services etc. etc. etc???

Michael

kaitak

RE: What Would You Like At An Airport?

Fri Dec 03, 1999 10:50 pm

First of all, an observation area. If it were a really good one, with good, panoramic views, I wouldn't mind paying for it. Secondly, private security staff should be kept on a short leash (not literally, well . . . maybe) inside the departures area. That is to say, they should not be allowed to stop people from taking photos as is now the case in some airports. Thirdly, an aviation shop, with magazines etc. Fourthly, a good choice of food and restaurants.

Apart from that, I'm easily pleased!

cricri

Fri Dec 03, 1999 11:29 pm

Absolutely right Kaitak : an aviation shop with plenty sorts of gifts and of course a real spotting area for us 'cause most of time you can only view from a bar or a restaurant so you have to pay and find a good place.
Alaways in the same area maybe some loud speakers where you can hear an airport frequency like tower or ground to know exactly which plane is arriving or departing (if you have binoculars ore waiting on someone). That could be a great idea!

AC_A340

Sat Dec 04, 1999 12:09 am

Yes many observation areas, aviation shops, lots of windows and marked paths to the end of the runway outside the fence. Oh and maybe some tours of the ramp. There is one airportin Australia that does that. They take you out in a bus and drive out on the ramp and go out to the end of the runway.

Granite

Sat Dec 04, 1999 2:25 am

Hi

What I would like to see is more facilities for spectators.

Yes, some airports do cater for us but more can be done. For example Heathrow is a fantastic airport with many movements but the spectators area is very bad indeed.

Regards
Gary Watt
Aberdeen, Scotland

rominato

Sat Dec 04, 1999 3:50 am

I would love to see something architecturally significant, like some of the old railroad terminals. However, I know that won't happen. I was just recently in the newly updated United terminal at LAX (70's and 80's gates). While I liked that there just one security gate now instead of one at the entrance to each terminal, the rest of it seemed sterile and cold. The old 70's gates were outdated, but I liked the high ceilings, warmer colors, and personality that it had. Everything nowadays seems so "cookie cutter". Bring back some originality.

Ilyushin96M

Sat Dec 04, 1999 11:31 am

What I would REALLY like to see would be LOWER PRICES for food and drink! Costs of things at airports are absurdly high, and if a person is trapped there between flights on a layover, money does not go far, no matter what airport.

I love airports which are open and airy, have nice architecture, and with lots of observation windows! Great to watch the planes take off, land and taxi. Another cool idea is to have cameras positioned at the runway for close-up shots of planes for aficionados to view on special monitors - maybe in an airport hobby shop, which by the way, should be well-stocked with great airliner models and kits!

Mon Dec 06, 1999 11:44 am

Yes!Yes!I agree with you guys.But I would like to see improvements in Narita's bathrooms.They are so damm small!The gents had only 2 latrines.Scary huh!But I was lucky 'nuff to see planes taking off from NRT Terminal 1 MacDonalds..

Gundu
E-mail:gundu64@hotmail.com