EA CO AS
Topic Author

AS Inaugurates SEA-MCO Today

Fri May 23, 2003 1:08 am

Today, Alaska Airlines begins nonstop service from Seattle to Orlando.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

The service, operated by a B-737-900, represents the only nonstop flight from the Pacific Northwest to Central Florida.

Alaska Airlines flight 18 left the gate fully loaded precisely one minute early, at 8:44am. The current estimated arrival time is 4:39pm, about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N737MC

RE: AS Inaugurates SEA-MCO Today

Fri May 23, 2003 1:10 am

YAY!

Great job to see that it went out full and early for its first departure. I enjoy working at the airline! Nice to see the route expansion. Later at work I will look up the loads and stuff.

Later

Aaron

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2003 1:43 am

Later at work I will look up the loads and stuff

So far, they're amazing! Through June 5, the SEA-MCO flight is averaging a 92% load factor in coach, and is booked 100% full in First Class every day.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

N737MC

Fri May 23, 2003 1:55 am

I will look up the true loads in Sabre later. Not percentage loads. Actual loads!

Thanks

Aaron

HlywdCatft

AS Inagurates SEA-MCO

Fri May 23, 2003 1:57 am

Does anyone know which airside it will use at MCO?

That will pretty much determine which runway the airline will use. I will be heading outside around 4:30 to see it land if there are no thunderstorms.

762er

Fri May 23, 2003 2:01 am

Wow, that's a really long way for a 737-900. I'd have to imagine that it's going to be pretty limited on cargo for the West bound leg.

Fly_ATA

Fri May 23, 2003 2:02 am

I work for ATA in MCO. Alaska is leasing some of our counter space on the A side and also one our gates ( gate 3 ). We are excited about having a new neighbor.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2003 2:12 am

I will look up the true loads in Sabre later. Not percentage loads. Actual loads!

Thanks

Aaron

No problem, Aaron. I looked up them up in Sabre as well, but of course it's inappropriate to post the ACTUAL booking loads here. That's why I gave an average percentage over those days I checked.

And you're right, this IS a great company! We're glad to have you.

Have a good day!

[Edited 2003-05-22 19:16:41]

aa61hvy

Fri May 23, 2003 2:16 am

I like how it says "first flight from central Florida to SEA" I know AA has an MIA-SEA, or at least used to.
Go big or go home

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Fri May 23, 2003 2:24 am

I like how it says "first flight from central Florida to SEA" I know AA has an MIA-SEA, or at least used to

"Used to" would be the operative words, there. AA hasn't operated this route for quite some time. Currently, only AS offers nonstops from SEA to MIA (and now MCO as well).

USAIRWAYS321

Fri May 23, 2003 3:19 am

The weight constraints that 762er pointed out are extacly why Alaska is highly interested in the 737-900X.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzyUSAIRWAYS321 Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy

fsuwxman

Fri May 23, 2003 3:30 am

A little off, but, I was wondering why AS switched MIA- SEA to having it overnight in MIA..

I also noticed that it is back to a -700 for MIA...
ASOS... Another Shi#y Observation Station

LAXFlyer

RE: Congradulations To The AS Employees

Fri May 23, 2003 3:57 am

Best wishes to all AS employees on the start of their new route. In 1976 when I hired on with my company (CO) my first base assignment was SEA. Then AS had only a few airplanes. Even tho small it was always a top notch operation with loyal employees who went that extra mile for their pax. Then we had interline agreements and never once did I hear of a bad flight on AS from a connecting pax. 27 years laters and I am still hearing praises about this company and seeing the same gun-ho attitude that I saw 27 years ago. Still a class act operation and one that I am proud we code-share with. I have this feeling this is one airline that will be around for many years to come.

John

Fri May 23, 2003 4:08 am

Does AS also fly SEA-FLL?

dash8tech

Fri May 23, 2003 4:17 am

No.

filler
filler
filler

United777

Fri May 23, 2003 4:23 am

John - AS doesnt fly to FLL from SEA. The only other destination from SEA is MIA non-stop with 737-700s.

scottysair

Fri May 23, 2003 4:56 am

That is correct for AS was only with nonstop from MIA-SEA destination. This is second cities was now to MCO by Florida. Not exactly anytime for began nonstop to FLL near of the future. This is pretty longer flight out of SEA to MIA & MCO flight, too.

United777

Fri May 23, 2003 5:32 am

Yea I've heard they flights are pretty boring and looooooooooong. These may be next generation aircraft AS uses on the route but a 737 on these two routes can be boring. I have many people in my old company who travel between Seattle to the east coast with AS and hated it. They say it is good AS is expanding routes from SEA to the east coast but they say AS is only good on west coast routes.

That would be cool if AS does add some kind of in-flight entertaiment system for these flights.

deltairlines

Fri May 23, 2003 6:12 am

Ouch...no inflight entertainment...that has got to be a killer.

They are using Airside 1...when I was at MCO last month they already had signs up for Alaska Airlines in the airside directory (I was impressed).

Jeff

Fri May 23, 2003 6:41 am

With employees posting proprietary information like that, no need for the other airlines to hire spies in the airport to count passengers!

FutureFO

Fri May 23, 2003 10:01 am

Channel 2 News here in the Orlando airport area had footage of him landing. I was hoping to get to the airport today to get the inagural arrival. But hope to get an arrival over the weekend or early next week. If anyone has photos of the arrival or departure from SEA please post.
I Don't know where I am anymore

nonrevman

Fri May 23, 2003 10:09 am

I wish AS would come to DFW. They do have good service and I enjoyed the flights with them.

EIPremier

Fri May 23, 2003 11:26 am

Ouch...no inflight entertainment...that has got to be a killer.

Personally, I have never seen the allure in shelling out $5 in order to squint at a small, relucent screen several rows away on which some tired B-grade flick is being shown. Let's face it, airplanes are not designed to be movie theatres. I suppose an offering such as JetBlue's DirectTV is somewhat more compelling, but I still don't see the problem in bringing along a paperback novel, or a couple of periodicals.

IFE increases fuel and maintenance costs, and I sincerely doubt revenue from headset rentals would offset these expenses, not to mention the screening cost.

Alaska currently offers First Class passengers complimentary DVDs courtesy of InMotion pictures. They also offer coach passengers a 25% discount on DVD player rentals. With the discount, a one-day rental on a 5'' player (including head-set and one free movie) is $9 (plus sales tax). Practically, the cost is $15 for a one-day rental with "jetback" return service included (IM doesn't have outlets at some of the east coast airports AS serves).

I don't think Alaska has done much to publicize their deal with InMotion. Perhaps AS could give customers a direct link to InMotion's website when making an online purchase on a long-haul route out of ANC or SEA.

As far as a DirecTV style product is concerned, I heard that Alaska had plans to install something of this nature on their fleet, but the project was shelved after 9/11 for financial reasons.

aa61hvy

Sat May 24, 2003 1:09 am

I think it AS came to DFW, AS would get smoked by AA and DL. They both fly to POR,SEA,LAX, and AA flies seasonaly to ANC. It would be Legend all over again. (more or less)
Go big or go home

HlywdCatft

AS Inaugurated SEA-MCO

Sat May 24, 2003 1:16 am

I got to see it fly over my apartment complex yesterday. It landed soon after a thunderstorm went through. It landed on the eastside runway which I believe is 17.

deskdriver

Sat May 24, 2003 1:53 am

The Scheduled time for the flight 5 hours 25 minutes does'nt seem that long for a B739 does it?

flashmeister

Sat May 24, 2003 1:55 am

By "POR", if you mean Portland, Oregon, the code is PDX.

As far as AS IFE is concerned, I think it's a necessity for transcons -- people have come to expect it (except on Southwest, and Alaska is not nor does it want to be Southwest). The InMotion thing is a hassle -- one more thing to pickup and bring with you, and if you have your personal item + carryon already, it counts as another piece of luggage which is not allowed.

I'm sure AS has something cooking in this regard though -- they have to understand that for these long flights, IFE is now something that's standard on almost everyone else, not optional.

FLY777UAL

Sat May 24, 2003 3:32 am

EA CO AS-

There's no difference in posting actual loads versus percentage loads...think about it.

Let's see here...if Alaska's 737-900 seats 16F 156Y, then using my calucator, 156 x .92=143. So now we know that their flights are running at 16F and about 143Y for the next few weeks...

Good job keeping that information off of the boards!  Big grin

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

strickerje

Sat May 24, 2003 4:29 am

I thought AS codeshared with AA on the SEA-DFW and SEA-ORD routes so that they wouldn't have to serve these markets with their own aircraft...

TLHFLA

Sat May 24, 2003 10:24 am

I wonder if they will consider serving TPA as well. TPA lacks nonstop west coast service with the exception of a daily DL flight to LAX. UA had a short-lived A320 flight to LAX. UA service to SFO would be nice. Service to SEA might work well, if it is already strong to MCO and MIA.
Bill in ATL

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Sun May 25, 2003 3:09 am

As far as AS IFE is concerned, I think it's a necessity for transcons -- people have come to expect it (except on Southwest, and Alaska is not nor does it want to be Southwest). The InMotion thing is a hassle -- one more thing to pickup and bring with you, and if you have your personal item + carryon already, it counts as another piece of luggage which is not allowed.

I'm sure AS has something cooking in this regard though -- they have to understand that for these long flights, IFE is now something that's standard on almost everyone else, not optional.

The InMotion thing will hopefully be less of a hassle over time, as the partnership between them expands with Alaska Airlines.

One idea being pursued is to enable Alaska customers to order InMotion rentals directly from the Alaskaair.com website, and have the player/movies delivered to the aircraft door just like Duty-Free items are.

There's no difference in posting actual loads versus percentage loads...think about it.

True to a point, although I was providing a rough estimate for a relatively short time period. That information, while proprietary, was not specific enough to compromise anything.

Dazed767

Sun May 25, 2003 6:13 am

Just saw her today for the first time over my house around 4:40pm, never thought I'd see the day when an AS aircraft would fly over my house.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos