User avatar
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:56 am

Luggage Tugs

Sat May 24, 2003 8:15 am

I have had this question on my mind for some time, but keep forgetting to ask it.

I have noticed that with most luggage tugs (The vehichles that pull the luggage carts on the ramp), I noticed that they usually have what looks like a wooden board suspended from the front of the vehichle in front of the wheels. What is the purpose of this thing (does it have a specific name)?
DC-9-30 US|MD-80 US/AA|737-200 US|737-300 US/WN|737-400 US|737-700 WN|737-800 FJ/QF|F-100 US|F-28 US|Dash-8 200 US| CRJ-200 US|757-200 US/AA|767-200 DL|777-300ER EK|A319-100 US|A320-200 B6|A330-200 FJ|A380-800 EK|ATR-72 AA|B-1900D US
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 10:19 pm

RE: Luggage Tugs

Sat May 24, 2003 9:42 am

If it is the hanging bar you're talking about, its a magnetic strip to help with F.O.D. It will pick up Screws and anything else magnetic that rattles free from aircraft, and ramp equipment.

It beats doing a walk down on large areas everyday...
Smoke and Thunder! Stage 2 FOREVER!!!
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2001 9:43 am

RE: Luggage Tugs

Sat May 24, 2003 11:52 am

Jon is correct. They are sometimes mounted on the rear of a tug/tractor as well.

There are FOD busters.

What's another word for thesaurus?

Popular Searches On

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos