skippy777

Are People Still Allowed To Sit In The Cockpit?

Sat May 24, 2003 5:39 pm

I noticed that people are still allowed to sit in the jumpseat.

What are the rules regarding viewing the landing from the cockpit?
Who has been sitting in a jump seat as a passengers?
If yes with which airlines have you done this?

RE: Are People Still Allowed To Sit In The Cockpit?

Sat May 24, 2003 5:47 pm

At HP the only ones allowed to sit in the jump seat are HP pilots, YV pilots, MX techs on duty, some FAA personel.

Sat May 24, 2003 5:50 pm

The YV pilots that fly under HP express. At onepoint the freedom air pilots were not allowed to ride jumpseat but I am not sure if that has changed or not. Even though Freedom flys for HP. Even if they are allowed I know alot of Captains that said if Freedom air pilots were allowed to jumpseat that they would deny the request. Freedom Pilots are not all that well liked at HP but that airline in general is disliked.

skippy777

Sat May 24, 2003 5:54 pm

So normally it is not that easy to get in the cokpit to watch the landing.
Can the pilots get into problems, because it shows flight date segment and registration wirth the pictures?

Sat May 24, 2003 6:07 pm

I am sure the person who took those pictures were authorized to do so by the airline and authorites.

jwenting

Sat May 24, 2003 9:33 pm

KLM policy is door closed and locked and most other airlines do the same.

Not even colleagues are allowed in (except the FAs to bring food or beverages).
I wish I were flying

Sat May 24, 2003 10:33 pm

Outside USA air carriers, generally airlines permit occupancy of flight deck jump seats by pilots and other aviation licensed personnel i.e. other pilots or flight engineers, maintenance staff, dispatchers... subject to the captain's discretion and approval...
xxx
With my airline, the captain's decides whoever sits there... I have taken my wife and my son on the jump seats... In USA it is not possible with the security and FAA paranoia... I dont think my son is a friend of Osama, and at his young age of 13, he knows he has to stay quiet and shut up during takeoff, departure, approach and landing...
xxx
Free access to jump seats (captain's authority) was, when I was young, the greatest thing in aviation to educate the general public, airline enthusiasts, private pilots and "future airline pilots"... nowadays, restricted occupancy of jump seats adds little, if anything, to flight safety... Many times, I have invited "little old ladies" who were dead-scared of airplanes, for landings... They changed their attitude and forever forgot their fears, after they saw how relax and simple flying an airplane really is...
xxx
Happy contrails, sit back and relax  Smile
(s) Skipper

Ejazz

Sat May 24, 2003 11:40 pm

At Singapore Airlines I can offer the jump seat ONLY to other Singapore Airlines Pilots or Cabin Crew. Other Singapore Airlines staff and Airline Crew are not permitted under any circumstances. My parents, wife, kids etc are also not permitted. To break this rule would mean unemployment.
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

B747-437B

Sat May 24, 2003 11:49 pm

at his young age of 13, he knows he has to stay quiet and shut up during takeoff, departure, approach and landing...

Ah, the joys of being in an airline family. Your son has been well trained.

I fondly remember my first jumpseat landing at the age of about 6 when I was very strictly told not to make a sound until we were on the ground. It was at Kai Tak too and I nearly wet myself, but I stayed silent all the way!  Smile
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

danielbk

Sun May 25, 2003 12:14 am

I'm extremely lucky,

I get to jumpseat on EL AL (usually 777's) allmost every time!

aha, the good life  Smile

danny.
cockpit? it's that little room in the front of the plane where the pilots seat.. but that's not important now

captaink

Sun May 25, 2003 1:12 am

It totally depends. In the caribbean I can get in the jumpseat of most regional Dash 8 flights.. I cant get on any Jet flights though. BUt for those said regionals, I just ask the F/A if she can talk to the CA for me. Plus it easier for me since i work on the airport.
There is something special about planes....

AA717driver

RE: Are People Still Allowed To Sit In The Cockpit

Sun May 25, 2003 3:17 am

The TSA would prefer that pilots didn't sit in the cockpit!TC
FL450, M.85

Inbound

Sun May 25, 2003 4:37 am

I second CaptainK's comments about the caribbean.

I too have sat in the jumpseat on a few caribbean carriers, but only had my camera on one occassion.
Last month on Caribbean Star Airlines, I sat in for the approach into SLU
and then the full start up at GND to landing in POS.

you can see some pics at
http://faraz78.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=17408

pictures 88 to 93 are from the jumpseat ( I think). There are no pics of approaching into POS because it was night time and they didn't want any camera flashes.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

av8rphx

Sun May 25, 2003 5:07 am

As far as Freedom Air goes,yes HP pilots were denying Freedom Air pilots jumpseats due to the fact that Freedom pilots were non ALPA and thus created alot of controversy at YV. Freedom pilots are now Mesa pilots, but still DBA Freedom Air, and should not have jumpseat issues anymore.

HAJ_OW

Sun May 25, 2003 5:10 am

Hi,

in Europe it was possible to get on the jump seat on several airlines before Sep. 11. Now it's alsmost impossible.
Before Sep. 11 I had the chance of many jumpseat rides on differend types and differend airlines. The largest was a 747-400 info FRA. The smallest a Saab 340 in HAJ. The most interesting a 737-800 automatic landing in fog in HAJ.
Airlines were LH, SR, SN, HF, DE, LX...
Regards from Hannover
Oliver

dc-10 levo

Sun May 25, 2003 5:16 am

I'm flying from East Midlands to Dalaman in July with JMC (Thomas Cook Airlines) and really want to fly in the jumpseat for takeoff. I might even write to them to see if it will be possible, but they can't say yes or no if it is the Pilot's decision can they?

DC-10

m717

Sun May 25, 2003 5:19 am

"I'm flying from East Midlands to Dalaman in July with JMC (Thomas Cook Airlines) and really want to fly in the jumpseat for takeoff. I might even write to them to see if it will be possible, but they can't say yes or no if it is the Pilot's decision can they?"

I'm virtually certain that is not possible today.

dc-10 levo

Sun May 25, 2003 5:22 am

Oh well. I can understand why though.

DC-10

aussiestu

Sun May 25, 2003 5:35 am

As crew i can jumpseat any time with my own airline so long as the captain agrees. Thankfully he agreed yesterday tryin to fly home on the friday of the bank holiday weekend. They had to leave fare paying passengers behind due to overbooked flight......thats domestic flights in the UK for you. All i can say is thank you to the captain and thankyou to the CAA to bringing in these restrictions

cedarjet

Sun May 25, 2003 5:37 am

I always flew in the jumpseat before 9/11, so I barely knew what flying in the passenger cabin was like. That was mostly due to contacts and reputation from past form in the biz since I haven't formally worked in aviation since 94. Unfortunately I'm not a pilot so since 9/11 I haven't seen the inside of a flightdeck.

My last ride in the office was on Malev from Budapest to Beirut in early September 2001 - the skipper had already promised the jumpseat to a flight attendent so I stood behind him, which was awesome, surfing down the ILS between apartment buildings (Beirut is the other - unsung - Kai Tak) in a 737. Thank you Malev, and unbeknowest at the time, farewell flight deck.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Ikarus

Sun May 25, 2003 6:53 am

In the UK, there are apparently now regulations forbidding UK airlines to do it.

I only managed to visit the cockpit twice, once including a jumpseat landing. Both were post 11/09 and on the LCY-MUC route with LH / Augsburg Airways. Not sure whether they still allow it (that was early 2002) or what the mainline LH regulations are

hmmmm...

Sun May 25, 2003 8:25 am

Not even colleagues are allowed in (except the FAs to bring food or beverages).

As an Islamic radical and a future terrorist, I was worried that 9/11 would make it impossible to get through the cockpit door on my next flight. So I'm glad to hear that the cockpit door will indeed open during the flight for food/coffee service. That is the moment when I rush in behind the FA and cut the pilot's jugular with a utility knife, while my cohort does the same to the co-pilot. Just like old times! Praise be to Allah!

p.s. It's good to know that the airlines of the infidel are not taking us too seriously.

signed,
Mahmood Ali Mohammed al-sabhey-Mohamed Ali Mahmood
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

Ejazz

Sun May 25, 2003 12:31 pm

Well Hmmmmm do you really think the Airlines are so dum that that scenario has not been considered and catered for.

There are many procedures and equipment installed on todays Airliners which you and the general public will not know about and are not meant to. There is far more to the security of the cockpit than a reinforced door.

Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

Mr.BA

Sun May 25, 2003 1:56 pm

Are cockpit visits still permitted after landing? I was allowed into the cockpit on a few flights after the aircraft has docked... although I didn't really expect to visit the cockpit at all after 9/11.
Boeing747 万岁!

hmmmm...

Sun May 25, 2003 2:33 pm

Well Hmmmmm do you really think the Airlines are so dum that that scenario has not been considered and catered for.

Ironic that you should use the word "catered".

On El Al, the door is never opened between take-off and landing. What system could be better than that? That is why we don't care for El Al. As terrorists we much prefer the American carriers that still open their doors inflight. I fear, however, that one day even the American carriers will have that same system and then we won't be able to hijack anything anymore. A sad day indeed.

signed,
Mahmood Ali Mohammed al-sabhey-Mohamed Ali Mahmood
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

WMUPilot

Sun May 25, 2003 2:55 pm

At TZ and C8 the only ones allowed in the cockpit are Company pilots, mechanics, VP's, dispatchers, FA's, and company employees - with approval from the company. Otherwise any other airline employee traveling jumpseat must ride in the cabin if there is space available. Some captains will still allow other airline pilots ride in the cockpit but that is a rare occassion. I haven't heard of any passengers getting access to TZ/C8 cockpits during flight.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

skippy777

Mon May 26, 2003 3:59 am

So the conclusion is that you have to be lucky

Ikarus

Mon May 26, 2003 6:04 am

Hmmmm: I would never fly longhaul on El Al in that case. Imagine if the pilot needs to pee and cannot leave the cockpit.... Imagine the added stress factor and the jumpy flight controls  Big grin

Either way, I noticed on recent flights that when the cockpit doors were opened by FA's, they'd first block the front toilet and they used their catering trolley to block the aisle and they blocked the door quite efficiently...

I guess that means you'll have to try the old-fashioned way and become a professional pilot, train for a few years for lots of money, but then, you can happily crash any flight you like, especially if you work for an American airline and use the gun to shoot the copilot  Big grin

Regards

Ikarus

deltairlines

RE: Are People Still Allowed To Sit In The Cockpit

Mon May 26, 2003 7:07 am

You are still allowed to visit the flight deck while the aircraft is on the ground. I visited the flight deck of a Comair CRJ and Delta 737 on the ground prior to take off last month, and I asked the F/A on another flight if I could visit after another flight (I had to withdraw my request due to tight connection time at CVG, but if I had more time I would have taken up the opportunity).

Jeff

cedarjet

Wed May 28, 2003 12:08 am

Ejazz: I think you're completely wrong. "There are many procedures and equipment installed on todays Airliners which you and the general public will not know about and are not meant to." Oh really? I doubt it. I think the airlines are just as vulnerable as ever. Someone on here a year or two before 9/11 said United had sky marshalls on most flights, even 737s going to Wyoming - and in a similar, condescending "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you" way. Now of course we know that was complete nonsense, and I suspect the same is true of this - no way are airlines carrying sky marshalls, and I doubt there is much a petite hostie could do against a suicidal terrorist pushing his way past when she opens the door with a tray of teas. This "procedures and equipment installed which you and the general public will not know about and are not meant to" is complete crap.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Ikarus

Wed May 28, 2003 12:19 am

Cedarjet: Isn't Ejazz the Singapore Airlines pilot who took all the brilliant air-to-air photos - Bailey? Do you really think you know as much as or more than him?