srilankan_340

UK To Ban Plane Spotters Next?.....

Wed May 28, 2003 9:05 pm

The anti-Terror campaign took a new twist recently here in the UK, when Rail authorities started asking "Train- Spotters" to leave station platforms.
Here's a link to the BBC news article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2943304.stm

My guess is it will not be too long before they target plane spotters next, in case we shoot down a plane with our Nikon "missile launchers"!

Its bad enough the LHR viewing deck is closed off, now would they not let us view from the surrounding areas too?

Just as the weather here was getting a bit better for photography, we get this.....

Lets hope the airport authorities are a bit more understanding and tolerant than the morons at Network Rail!

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self- centered: Forgive them anyway - Mother Theresa

B-HOP

RE: UK To Ban Plane Spotters Next?.....

Wed May 28, 2003 9:47 pm

It just stupid our government be the 'puppy' of the mighty US, it becomes a witch hunt now and don't know when wuld end.
Live life to max!!!

EGGD

Wed May 28, 2003 10:56 pm

Unfortunetely, restrictions are already getting stricter so it will not be long before we are up to standards with our American counterparts.

Quite sad really, we literally 'invented' the hobby, now its being thrown back in our faces because we want to follow in suite with 'big brother'.

Now tell me, has there been an attack in Britain, or even a potential attack on any aircraft coming or leaving our airports?

Arsenal@LHR

Wed May 28, 2003 11:04 pm

Hounding and harassing plane spotters will not prevent terrorists hijacking/shooting down planes. The government and the authorities have no clue about plane spotting and the nature of plane spotters, and as far as i'm concerned no one will stop me from pursuing my hobby. As long as i'm not breaking the law, i will continue to go plane spotting at airports.
In Arsene we trust!!

Dazed767

Wed May 28, 2003 11:05 pm

Hey, lets ban happiness too while we're at it  Yeah sure

Demoose

Wed May 28, 2003 11:09 pm

You can be sure, that as soon as there is an attempted attack on an aircraft in the UK its the end for us plane spotters/photographers being allowed around airport perimeters. You only have to look at the events seen at LHR last February with the army deployed to see how strongly the government will act to any specific threat. In the past we could accuse the government for over reacting, but sadly its no longer the case and the UK is a prime target for terrorist activities.

Just imagine if there was an attack on an aircraft and it emerged that the authorities willingly allowed people around the airport perimeter - be they plane spotter/photographers or not - it would look incredibly bad and the Daily Mail would have a field day on it. The government are simply trying to cover all areas and unfortunately our hobby is the victim.

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

voodoo

Wed May 28, 2003 11:25 pm

We're all bus spotters now......
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

HlywdCatft

Wed May 28, 2003 11:27 pm

or start spotting cars and people, is that banned next too?

Why don't we all just walk around with a black sheet over our heads so we can't spot anything.

LHR340

Wed May 28, 2003 11:57 pm

We are going to become bird spotters, they are the next best things that fly...They can't stop us the amount of hassle they would get from us would be unbelievable they would give in  Nuts I hope...

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

G-CIVP

Thu May 29, 2003 3:14 am

Well its a load of bollards as a whole group of train spotters were at Clapham Junction last night, bins and cameras in hand. Good luck to 'em.

backfire

Thu May 29, 2003 3:33 am

Well the UK police seem to be acting sensibly over at LHR. I was hanging around the perimeter fence for three hours with a camera in full view of multiple police patrols and none of them felt they needed to stop and give me grief. Carried plenty of ID, just in case, though.

kaitak

Thu May 29, 2003 5:16 am

Same here; I was there last weekend, near the 27R threshold, on the footbridge beside Hatton Cross station; lots of police cars passing, no one said "boo" (although I'd have been surprised if they had!).

Still, sensible action and not getting in their way will make life easier for all. Remember, resources are limited, so they don't really want to be fighting what is a losing battle and, to follow up on an earlier point, if there ARE people around the perimeter, there's more chance of stopping these people. Most of us have mobile phones ...

What we need is focused security, not lashing out at anything people disapprove of. Anyone thinking logically - which those responsible for security must do - would understand that aviation enthusiasts are NOT only not a threat, but a potential ally.

carduelis

Thu May 29, 2003 6:55 am

Just for clarification, and I'm sure most know anyway, the foot bridge at Hatton Cross is nearest to the approach to 27L, but doutless you can get approach pics of a/c on 27R.

We've had terrorism in GB for a number of years (not Al Quaida) and a number of innocent people have died - even military horses killed in Hyde Park.

I was in T4 some years back, meeting a friend from EWR, when there was a mortar attack, originating from the western perimeter area near the new T5 - we had to evacuate T4 by going down the Underground railway to get either to Central Area, or into London Town! There was also a van found in one of the northside hotel carparks, complete with a straightforward launcher.

I'm all for effective security, and I'm glad that the USA is catching up . . .

Enjoy your spotting, but remember a lens flashing in the sunlight can cause automatic response from those put there to protect YOU! A close friend of mine who works for the BBC as a News Cameraman, staying at the 'journalists hotel' in BGW, the Palestine Hotel, when a shell from a US tank hit the hotel a couple of floors below! When they later met up with the US commander, they were told that they thought somebody was aiming a weapon at them, so they fired at the TV lens flashing in the sun!

Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

B-HOP

Fri May 30, 2003 8:02 pm

I would be arrived damn early, checked my stuff in and do it airside, they can't stop me!
Live life to max!!!

USAFHummer

Sat May 31, 2003 12:41 am

Arsenal@LHR...everything you said is completely true...the problem is getting our respective governments aware of the fact that us aviation enthusiasts are getting royally screwed over by this...they just turn a deaf ear towards us...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

cedarjet

Sat May 31, 2003 12:46 am

HlywdCaft, your suggestion (which I know was in jest in case my tone is hard to read): "Why don't we all just walk around with a black sheet over our heads..." - surely that's tantamount to being a Taliban supporter?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

trintocan

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:16 am

Hopefully not - the truth is that train companies have always viewed trainspotters with some scepticism, moreso than airlines and airports. Perhaps it may have to do with the closer observation of trains possible at platforms (not to mention the ability to see flaws, dirty trains etc more easily) which could give negative publicity to the company. Planespotters have had a more positive image than trainspotters, historically speaking too.

As long as planspotters comply with the rules and co-operate with the authorities they should be OK in the UK. Now, if only the LHR authorities could be convinced to re-open the deck for us to see Concorde's last summer...

TrintoCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

apuneger

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:51 am

What about 'Forum Spotters'? OK, now I'm outta here...

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography