Pe@rson
Topic Author

IC: COK- And GOI-Agatti

Thu May 29, 2003 12:30 am

How are IC's 228-operated flights between both COK and GOI to Agatti doing in terms of loads and profitability?

I'm guessing that Agatti has a very short runway, possibly even grass or dirt strip, although I could be wrong. Assuming it's asphalt and ignoring the fact that I don't know its length, can it handle 737s?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

IndianGuy

RE: IC: COK- And GOI-Agatti

Thu May 29, 2003 9:27 am

AGX cannot handle 737's. Length is less than 4000 ft. The 228's are operated with only 14 seats when I last went on them and during Nov-Feb they are packed out of COK. I was W/L No.18 between Dec 14 and 26 in 2000! This for a 14 seater!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2003 9:37 am

I presume 'W/L' means without luck?

If the route is so popular from Nov to Feb, why don't they increase the frequency, because the aircraft is only used on two routes and not even that often (COK 6 times weekly and GOI 3 times weekly)?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

IndianGuy

Thu May 29, 2003 9:55 am

I presume 'W/L' means without luck?

Waitlisted. Smae thing though, in the end!

If the route is so popular from Nov to Feb, why don't they increase the frequency, because the aircraft is only used on two routes and not even that often (COK 6 times weekly and GOI 3 times weekly)?

Both GOI and COK 6x when i last checked. This translates into nearly a full days flying. it usually operates COK-AGX-GOI-AGX-COK, totalling around 6-7 hours.

The maintainance could be one issue. The HAL built Dorniers arent exactly maintainance friendly, and the people running the show are the other side to it. I am not at liberty to disclose everything, but I have heard plenty of horror stories about IC's Dornier tourist ops out of COK and DEL. I think it is called the Short Haul Department or some such.

BTW, pearson, r u indian?

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2003 10:12 am

Both GOI and COK 6x when i last checked.

I just checked IC's website, and GOI-AGX currently operates thrice-weekly (Mon, Wed and Fri).

BTW, pearson, r u indian?

No, I'm British. I'm just VERY keen on India (I'm a backpacker) for many reasons, including: its sheer diversity; its people; its religious and non-religious architecture; its festivals; its bazaars; its wildlife; its hill stations; etc. It's BRILLIANT! Big grin It's just a shame I'm a poor student and so can't go very often. I was going to travel within Tamil Nadu for a month or two earlier this year, but didn't.  Sad

IndianGuy

Thu May 29, 2003 10:22 am

gr8 to hear that!

I suggest you go to the North East then. Simply phenomenal! And cheap as well! You can take a 7-day unlimited travel fare on IC. Or alternately travel second class (unreserved if possible! even more fun!) from Bagdogra to Agartala, seeing the 7 states on the way, and then fly back to BOM!

I did that. Very cheap!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2003 10:26 am

Thanks.  Smile

I normally travel by train or bus within India - in fact never flown domestically!

I am dying for another thali and street samosas! Big grin

India's cheap all over, especially for food, accommodation and transport! Big grin *remembers Rs100-a-night hotel in Paharaganj, DEL.* I prefer slightly better accommodation now, up to say Rs300-a-night. You can travel by train from, say, DEL to TRV for a couple of hundred Rs in 2nd class and the thalis only cost, what, Rs15-50? Not bad for a very filling meal! Big grin

[Edited 2003-05-29 03:33:41]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos