Braniff727
Topic Author

NWA Flight Attendant Punched By Passenger

Thu May 29, 2003 9:29 pm

With this and the Qantas incident, it looks like the flying public has returned to its normal, rude and nasty habits.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/det/news/stories/news-223360120030528-160508.html
Climbing

Greg

RE: NWA Flight Attendant Punched By Passenger

Thu May 29, 2003 10:20 pm

Considering the bad and indifferent treatment so many f/a's give....I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often!

Clearly it's being blown out of proportion--considering charges were 'pending' and the f/a thankfully was not injured...

luv2fly

Thu May 29, 2003 10:22 pm

Greg

I do agree with what you said, although there is always 2 sides to every story.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Rick767

Thu May 29, 2003 10:46 pm

"Considering the bad and indifferent treatment so many f/a's give....I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often!"

That is absolutely no excuse for violence on the part of the passenger. In my experience the vast majority of cabin crew are hardworking and friendly even in the most difficult situations and often under challenging conditions, but even those who are not, or those who are having a "bad day" in no way deserve to have physical violence inflicted on them.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Braniff727
Topic Author

Thu May 29, 2003 11:57 pm

Unbelievable. I was expecting someone to say something like that.

So if you are in a restaurant and get bad service is it understandable to hit a waiter? Bad service or not, it is not acceptable, or understandable to hit someone. Furthermore, you should NEVER touch someone at all. PERIOD.

People need to wake up and understand that despite how things were in the old days, FA's are there for your safety. If it weren't for that airlines would have vending machines instead.

I seriously hope this individual is charged and punished.
Climbing

cdgdtw

Fri May 30, 2003 12:14 am

WHERE do you work, GREG???? Business? Construction? Government? I'd like to know so that when the public isn't 100% satisfied with your performance, they know it's OK to haul off and punch you. You can poke fun at an airline's service, as is done so often on this forum. However attitudes like yours have no space in here, on the aircraft or anywhere. This should not be accepted in a grocery store, bank, airplane and indeed any place of work.
If this was a joke, it's lame.

HlywdCatft

Fri May 30, 2003 12:54 am

What do you expect in Detroit. Ok before everyone jumps me for dissing Detroit, I lived there for 28 years and 5 months before moving a month ago.

Fri May 30, 2003 1:00 am

What do you expect in Detroit.

Who said the man was from Detroit?! I fly between DTW/NRT regularly and most passengers connect elsewhere.

Alpha 1

Fri May 30, 2003 1:33 am

I don't expect any better from you, Greg. Typical. It's the "they deserve it" mentality. Nice and mature, pal. It takes a certain kind of individual to approve of such behavior.

I'm sure he had a good reason: not getting an upgrade; the Coke was flat; the ride was too bumpy. You know, valid reasons for popping someone in the chops.

Reading these responses, I can think of one thing: why was everyone so upste about Non-Av?  Laugh out loud

luv2fly

Fri May 30, 2003 1:45 am

I think one thing that has come out of 9-11 is that airlines upper management has stood up and started taking the sides of employees in these cases, instead of sweeping these things under the rug and siding with the customers.

william

Fri May 30, 2003 2:27 am

If it happened in the states,I know the pax would have a welcoming party with handcuffs waiting for him at the gate,whether the FA "deserved it" or not.

fly_emirates

Fri May 30, 2003 2:31 am

greg

i do understand that some of my fellow flight attendants can be really nasty, but, some passengers are completley outragous! i would understand if the passenger had yelled at him, or threatened to get a letter... or if the F/A have hit him and then the passenger returned back.

I was attacked by a pssenger almost a year and half ago.. why? he came in late, his bag is over the size permitted, flight over booked, i would have offered him buying another seat with half the price for his completely over sized carry on, but over booked flight! sorry you have to check it in.. didnt like what i said .. grabbed my neck tie, pushed me to the cabin door before closure.. captain had him arrested. that was before 911...

i know that some F/A's are really absurd and need to be fired or retired.. but there is no excuze for violence

aa61hvy

Fri May 30, 2003 3:59 am

Was Mike Tyson or Marv Albert on that flight?
Go big or go home

UN_B732

Fri May 30, 2003 4:04 am

The passenger must have gone crazy for 14 hours without PTVs.....:P
No, honestly..more details are needed to analyze the situation.
What now?

SR 103

Fri May 30, 2003 5:17 am

No matter what the FA did, I do not believe punching him was the right thing to do.

UN_732

You seem to do a lot of NW bashing! It is one thing for people who have flown NW to complain, but it is another for someone without any experience to judge them. I also was never a big NW fan and stayed away from them because of the rumors. Soon I started flying KLM and had no choice but to fly NW! What a surprise it was. They are one of the better airlines to fly. You keep saying you need to find a good NW trip report. Just look on the trip report forum, there are more than enough trip reports on NW stating how good they are. I suggest you just look before being so closed minded. In fact the worst FA I have ever encountered was not on NW, but on Singapore Airlines.

Go back to this thread where U bashed NW and read what I wrote.
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/32699/

HlywdCatft

Fri May 30, 2003 5:20 am

People like that need to be banned from flying.

Bring back the scarlet letter "R" (for air RAGE) and tattoo it on this guys head so airlines know not to sell him tickets anymore.

luv2fly

Fri May 30, 2003 5:21 am

I agree NW is not the worst out there I always have been treated very good by them. I can not say the same for other major carriers.

JBirdAV8r

Fri May 30, 2003 5:22 am

People like that need to be banned from flying.

I agree! Now if Delta would quit making banned lists from bad credit ratings...we'll be in business  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

skyhawk

Fri May 30, 2003 5:29 am

What I am surprised at is the attitude by a few people here that are replying. In the first place, if a passenger hits, shoves, or otherwise interferes with the operation of a flight crewmember, they are violating a federal law. Even if that flight happens to have originated internationally, they are still governed by U.S. laws as the carrier is a U.S. company.

For some here to insinuate that the F/A's treatment was OK because the F/A's attitude was something akin to a cesspool is in itself wrong. Does someone knocking you down make it OK to do the same to them? NO! The F/A in question, if found to have instigated the situation, should be suspended or something of the like.

For those that came down on Greg, all he said was that he was surprised it didn't happen more often, given the attitude of some F/A's these days(why the attitude has taken a nose dive is not the question here, just that it has). If you will also note, he did say that he was grateful the F/A wasn't hurt.

Greg

Fri May 30, 2003 6:20 am

You guys really need to chill.

No where did I EVER say they deserved it.

I did say: I really am surprised it doesn't happen more often. If you read the tone of my next statement you would have seen that I didn't think it was right.

But face it---tempers are short these days--and it doesn't take a lot to set off marginal or borderline psycho's.

And yeah..the level of service from most carriers has gone down. This was bound to happen. It's a dangerous combination. Too much stress on both sides.

And please...don't go into how 'closely screened and scrutinzed' all flight attendants are. It's not brain surgery. There are plenty of bad ones--did anybody fly TWA during it's last year??? H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E (and that's IF you could get them out of the galley).

kevi747

Fri May 30, 2003 6:24 am

Why do so many of the responses here assume that this F/A did something to provoke this? This article is only 7 sentences long. It says nothing about what led up to this incident. PAX routinely take out whatever problems (airline related or not) that they're having on us. Most of the time we're able to diffuse the situation and resolve it without too much drama. Other times there's just no pleasing them.

Anyway, I sure wish someone would try to punch my 6'2", 200 lb. ass. They'd get straight-up knocked OUT!
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

JBirdAV8r

Fri May 30, 2003 6:25 am

Greg,

And please...don't go into how 'closely screened and scrutinzed' all flight attendants are.

I think you missed my point entirely. There are PLENTY of bad flight attendants. There are plenty of good ones too! The point is, there are none that would DELIBERATELY push a person to punch them, nor any that would punch back. There are no "psychotic F/A's"...I know, I know, flame away for me saying that.

777guy

Fri May 30, 2003 6:29 am

I was on a NW flight from CDG-DTW one time and the lead FA was the one of the rudest fellows I have ever seen. When some of the passengers complained to other FA's about him they quietly agreed.
No one punched him and I just forgot about him too. He definately needed an attitude adjustment but violence is not the answer. I wish i had sent a complaint to NW's headquarters but did not. Now after reading this I wonder if he was the "assalted party"?
The bottom line is most air crew are professionals and deserve respect. Even the worse of them do not deserve assault.

UN_B732

Fri May 30, 2003 6:34 am

Yes...the one for northwest... Your horrible AMS-DTW flight is there. SR_103, and not everyone can afford to fly Business......northwest in Coach is bad...let's admit it... and plus. it's hard to have a bad experience in business.
What now?

Matt D

Fri May 30, 2003 8:29 am

although there is always 2 sides to every story.

Wrong.

There is the F/A's side.

Then there is the passengers side.

And then there's the truth, which is usually somewhere in the middle. While I agree that there is (or at least should be) no excuse for violence, I would bet good money that the F/A did something to provoke it, and therefore, most likely, is at least partly to blame. NO ONE is going to haul off and take a poke at someone for no reason.

SR 103

Fri May 30, 2003 8:32 am

"northwest in Coach is bad...let's admit it... and plus. it's hard to have a bad experience in business."

I fly NW coach more often than I fly NW Business. The service is perfectly fine in the back as well. As far as having a bad experience in Business, well what can I say, I have had my share, AMS-DTW being one, but of course inexperienced travelers like yourself really should not be opening their mouth about this.

"and not everyone can afford to fly Business"

As far as that comment goes, it just shows how immature you are. I use my miles to upgrade most of the time. But I do not have to explain my actions to a immature teen like yourself. I work hard to fly up front, its not a free ride for me.

Enough about this, lets just get back to the topic.

BWIA 772

Fri May 30, 2003 8:46 am

I agree with 77 guy, violence is not the answer.

Yes service has gone down and people will get vex if they payed money for a flight and get shitty service. I dont know if i could be a FA cause if some one was to hit me I really could not care I might end up hitting the person back cause I aint standing for any bs.

Maybe airlines should start to play some meditation music while taking off to calm down the passengers etc.
Eagles Soar!

Fri May 30, 2003 8:52 am

The passenger was probably drunk, or doing something that was not safe. The FA was most likely doing his/her job. If it was a female FA, there is absolutely NO excuse to hit a woman, and if it is the pax fault, they should throw the book at him. Attacking a FA, no matter what the circumstances, endangers the entire flight. But we all know how this will end. The pax will get a ambulance chasing lawyer to turn it around on the FA and the airline.

Since so many lawyers are blood-sucking, out-to-make-money-no-matter-what-the-consequences, pig headed, ruining this country, lying, crooks...I'm surprised more people in court don't turn around and give them a huge kick in the groin.  Big grin

Brian - SPOT THIS!

Matt D

Fri May 30, 2003 9:02 am

Since so many lawyers are blood-sucking, out-to-make-money-no-matter-what-the-consequences, pig headed, ruining this country, lying, crooks...I'm surprised more people in court don't turn around and give them a huge kick in the groin

Hey, I couldn't agree with you more. But the bottom line is that it takes two people to create a situation like this. Just as there really isn't any excuse for assault (unless, as I said, the person is provoked and/or defending him/herself) just as there is no excuse for mediocre or flat out belligerent service. Sure we all know the drill about how "F/A's are there for our safety" and all. That's good as far as it goes. But good customer service/relations are, last time I checked, part of that job description. In other words, if you aren't real social (and I'm not), then you really have no business being in that vocation.

...at least it is whenever the future of that airline [employee] is on the line.

But that's a whole separate issue.

nwa747-400

Fri May 30, 2003 10:14 am

UN- whatever your names is....

There have been several positive trip reports on Northwest, including mine which offer examples of the fine service I have received in the air and on the ground from Northwest in First Class and the Main Cabin. I have flown Northwest and the others enough to know that Northwest does a great job at their core stratergy which is "safe, ontime, with luggage" or something along those lines.

Grow up, then post.

-----------------------
FLY THE RED TAIL!!!!!!!

kevi747

Fri May 30, 2003 10:37 am

"I would bet good money that the F/A did something to provoke it,"

Why does everyone asume this? Where does it say anything about that in the article? I will never cease to be amazed by how anti-F/A this website can be.

Matt D

Fri May 30, 2003 10:43 am

Why does everyone asume this?

Because it's usually true.

Where does it say anything about that in the article?

It doesn't. Please see my previous comment.

I will never cease to be amazed by how anti-F/A this website can be.

And I will never cease to be amazed how anti-passenger so many alleged F/A's on this site seem to be. I mean God Forbid you get asked for a cup of coffee or water or something.

Oh wait. You're there to help us in an emergency such as a crash landing.

Damn.....that happens on almost every flight I take. No wonder the airlines never seem to be on time.  Yeah sure

Fri May 30, 2003 10:48 am

northwest in Coach is bad...let's admit it

No, NW is one of the better (USA-based) airlines in Economy for trans-Pacific travel. Each airline has its unique (and not-so-unique) product with good and bad points, but overall NW can compete with CO and UA and is far superior than DL... I'll give a slight advantage to AA, or at least if/when MRTC goes away (like the midflight pizza snack did).

IndianGuy

Fri May 30, 2003 12:51 pm

Considering the bad and indifferent treatment so many f/a's give....I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often!

Sorry Greg, but even if the FA was being a real b***ch, hitting her was not the way to handle it. I would have talked to the Inflight SUpervisor, and if she was acting funny as well, then I would talk to the airlines IFS department after landing.

-Roy

kevi747

Fri May 30, 2003 5:02 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Matt.

I'm really sorry that some of you were turned down by airline F/A recruiters. But don't hate those of us who made the cut. We have the best job on earth!! I get paid for taking mini-vacations to LHR, EZE, CDG, SJU, GRU, FCO, etc.. I love this job!

I feel sorry for some people here. You must have had some really miserable F/A's on your flights. (Or, just maybe, its your own piss-poor attitudes towards aircrew that's causing this reaction in some of my colleagues....just a thought.) It's also funny how opinionated people who have absolutely no contact with commercial airplanes can be about how they are run.

Oh well, I'd still love for some PAX to raise a hand in anger towards me.

Greg

Fri May 30, 2003 9:59 pm

Ok....this is meant only for those idiots who can't comprehend what I wrote.
I never said that striking anyone, for any reason other than self defense is justifiable. Full stop.

My comment is that I'm surprised that given the amount of tension and stress with travel these days that attacks between flight attendants and passengers are not more frequent. Full stop.

And believe me, there are psychotic flight attendants....like any other profession. I know a couple. And you should hear the crap they do to annoy passengers on purpose--AND think it's funny (well OK, some of it is actually amusing....).

goingboeing

Fri May 30, 2003 10:17 pm

Nobody should ever be punched on an airliner, unless they are threatening to take over the aircraft. Short of that, anyone who hits a crew member should be banned from flying any airline again. Period. If they want to fly, have them look into chartering an aircraft, but they don't belong on any kind of public transportation.

kevi747

Fri May 30, 2003 11:04 pm

By the way, I wonder what those mean old Qantaslink F/A's did to make that guy go crazy, attack them, and try to hijack their airplane. They must have REALLY been asking for it.  Yeah sure

I just hope they managed to get a few good shots in while they subdued him.

kevi747

Fri May 30, 2003 11:12 pm

Hey, read this. I guess that Qantaslink purser did get to rough the guy up a bit:

Shocked passengers later praised the bravery of flight attendant Greg Khan, 38, from Hobart, who helped subdue the attacker despite being stabbed in the head.

"The steward had a lot of blood on the back of his neck - he was good, very good, very brave," said passenger Joe Da Costa.

Witness Derek Findlay described the scene: "Greg picked him up like a footballer with his head in the bloke's chest and drove him back."

Keith Charlton, one of the passengers who helped subdue the man, said: "If there ever was a hero, it was Greg. He saved the aircraft."

I got that off theage.co.au Sounds like Mr. Kahn is not to be messed with.

JBirdAV8r

Fri May 30, 2003 11:33 pm

Greg,

The point is, there are none that would DELIBERATELY push a person to punch them

I don't know what kind of big macho dude you are, but I'd say you are probably not the kind of person that likes to get their butt kicked. Sure, screwing around with people is great fun....but to make them hit you...that's just downright stupid. MOST people exercise common sense in this regard. We all know that violence in the aircraft is NOT a good thing, especially these days.

Greg

Sat May 31, 2003 1:10 am

JBirdAV8r....I respectfully disagree..there are people that would abuse what little authority they have...just to see how far they CAN go. It's human nature. I'm not saying it solves anything...or that it's right.

This includes people in all professions. Lawyers and Flight Attendants included.

FrequentFlyKid

Sat May 31, 2003 4:39 am

There is acutally three sides to every story. One person's story, the other person's story and then somewhere in the middle lies the TRUTH.

ny-jfk-lga

Sat May 31, 2003 5:48 am

Being a flight attendant myself, for NWA, I would not let anyone hit me and get away with it. The feds would meet my jet at the gate.
Bring back McDonnell Douglas & T W A!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos