buckwilder

Opinions Wanted-flying Atl-fra-fco Tomorrow

Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:59 am

I'm flying atl-fra-fco tomorrow (my first 777!), Delta on the first leg, then Alitalia MD-88 on the second. Can anyone tell me what to expect in economy class in the way of meals, seat pitch, usual loads. Especially curious about the Alitalia leg; I've heard many negative opinions about delays and service. And they won't let me choose a seat on-line. Is that normal? (Thanks. I'm a new member, please be kind!)

buckwilder

RE: Opinions Wanted-flying Atl-fra-fco Tomorrow

Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:06 am

My bad, I guess its a MD 80 or 82. Also, does anyone know if delta's 777 seat layout is 2-5-2 or 3-3-3 or what?

Sabena332

Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:09 am

Welcome on a.net!

I can`t tell you much about your DL flights because the last time I flew on DL is already 3 years ago, I can imagine that many things changed. AZ is a very good airline, unfortunately I only flew twice on them, my first flight was DUS-MXP in an ER4: perfect service, a good looking F/A and tasty food. The return flight on a MD-82 was also very nice: me and a buddy got an upgrade into Business Class, again perfect service, tasty food and very kind F/A`s.

Enjoy your flights!

Patrick

[Edited 2003-06-02 00:14:08]
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

luv2fly

Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:09 am

You should be able to pull up the DL 777 seat map on there web page. Also it is not uncommon for the European airlines to make you wait for a seat until you get to the airport.
You can cut the irony with a knife

FutureFO

Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:36 am

Most times you will not know if the DL 777 will be the 3-3-3 or 2-5-2 until you arrive at the airport. As far as the AZ flite I can not tell you much as I have never flown them but their Cabin Staff are on strike currently.
I Don't know where I am anymore

vermeer

Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:45 am

AZ had a strike..not really a strike....a vicious "illness" which affected a lot of flight attendants on the FCO-LIN route, so nothing to worry about for international...

I am so sorry for those unauthorized strikes...AZ product is REALLY good on international routes especially in Europe.
One of the few airlines which have 2-2 seats in business and not the convertible 3 to 2 on offer among its major competitors.
The few legs I had in business proved for a great product and I was really impressed being a staunch passenger against AZ ( I am Italian and I got frustrated endless times...)
Try it and let us know!
Have a great flight and have fun!

FLAIRPORT

Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:48 am

LUV-
Alitalia is a delta partner and skyteam partner, so I'm assuming that the seats can be booked in advance with Delta

Buck,
I'm imagining thats what you did.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

airplanetire

Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:59 am

Have a wonderful trip! Some people have complained about the seat pitch on DL's 777s, but I found that it was great for a long flight. I am 5' 7", so not the tallest person in the world (I still have time to grow though!  Smile ), but I was very comfortable and would still have been comfortable even if I were taller. I also found the seats to be very comfortable. They were wide, just the right firmness, and were a good shape, so conformed to my body well. The entertainment was fine. A PTV is always nice to have. The service was very atentive, so good, on my flight. The food was also fine. Keep in mind that that is only how I experienced a Delta 777. You might have an even better experience or not as good of one, but I hope it's great. Now, I wish I could tell you if you'll be on a 2-5-2 or a 3-3-3 777, but unfortunately I can't. The only way to POSSIBLY know in advance would be to call Delta tomorrow because I would think that the airline would likely know which plane is flying ATL-FRA the day of the flight. There are a total of eight 777s in Delta's fleet and two of them are in the 3-3-3 configuration. Those two are N861DA/ship 7002 and N867DA/ship 7008. Given that, you have a 75% chance of being on a 2-5-2 777. Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about Alitalia, but I hope that is a great flight too.

-Airplanetire

buckwilder

Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:46 am

thanks for all the great responses! i'm loving this website. just noticed the trip report section; I'll be sure to write one up. my return is barcelona-jfk-atl on 767-300, which i'm pretty familiar with. also doing a virgin express rome-brussels-barcelona while i'm there. pretty circuitous route, i know, but at @ $100, definitely a good deal. see ya!