airmale

Baghdad Airport May Reopen In Next Month

Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:55 pm

Newly renamed Bahgdad Internatioanl airport(formerly Saddam International) may be functioning by July according to a news report, the runway is pock marked and the main passenger terminal is being used as a barrack for coalition troops, but demand from airlines wanting to resume operations to the Iraq may speed up the opening.
.....up there with the best!

bobrayner

RE: Baghdad Airport May Reopen In Next Month

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:15 pm

may be functioning by July

For a given value of functioning.
Some commercial carriers already have limited operations there, surely?  Smile
(although there are hardly swarms of tourists yet...)
Cunning linguist

Sonic

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:38 pm

Is it still SDA or some new code was chosen?

Amir

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:59 pm

Hi airmale,

DHL is already operating trice weekly AN-12 to BAH.
Does anyone know what happened to the ex Gulf Falcon planes stationed in Irak (at least one 707 and one 747sp) wehre they flown out before the outbreak of war?

Regards
Amir

Alpha 1

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:18 pm

How can it be opening, if the Americans don't control it?

Signed,
The Information Minister.

airmale

Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:21 pm

Hi Amir! I believe so are a new startup 'Air Baghdad' and Royal Jordanian.

Pe@rson

Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:29 pm

Are there many Indians (or descendants) or Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans, Nepalese, living within Iraq? If so, would there be sufficient demand to warrant a service to the relevant country?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

airmale

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:39 am

Iraqi Airways used to serve Karachi, Delhi and Bombay, PIA, Air India and Biman Bangladeash flew to Baghdad so I guess there was demand, dont know now, but a lot of people still travel to Iraq for religious purposes from Pakistan via Iran.

cedarjet

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:57 am

I would have thought if there are many guestworkers in Iraq from India / Sri Lanka et al, they won't need to be asked twice if they'd like to move somewhere safer. They'll be hanging off the undercarriage of the first few flights? Hopefully at the same time there'll be some civic-minded expat Iraqis keen to get in and roll their sleeves up and help rebuild the country.

Come on though, Air CANADA (not even a US airline) have had to cancel flights to BEIRUT (the most pro-western liberal Arab city) for reasons of national security (!); so how on earth are NW et al going to fly to Baghdad, where there is no gov't, everyone's armed and most of them seem to be shooting at Americans? I know applications have been filed but in view of the 'Air Canada to Beirut' pipedream, I doubt we'll see a US carrier at Baghdad this decade. Royal Jordanian MAYBE, that's going to be it for the foreseeable. Anyone who thinks different needs to read a non-US newspaper.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Amir

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:43 pm

Hi Cedarjet,
i like your middle east comments  Wink/being sarcastic
yes i see it similar. Whereas i can think of the following version: US biz.men start or support a new iraqi start-up airline. Though this coul dbe a profitable solution without going into the risk of flying there with N-XXX registered planes.

In Iraq the number of guest workers from the indian subcontinent is very small. Most of them left to Kuwait and via Syria (saw many of them) to their home countries or got settled in Kuwait (of course only those who could fine a so called Sponsor)
Regards
amir

Pe@rson

Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:10 pm

So it's fair to say that a service to or from both DEL and BOM is likely?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

airmale

Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:18 am

Cedarjet Qatar Airways are launching service to Baghdad from the 10th of June, Gulf Air are also planning to return there, Lufthansa and Air France I think will be warmly welcomed.

cedarjet

Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:40 am

I can really see Lufthansa and Air France being welcomed by the Americans. Ho ho.

[Edited 2003-06-06 00:50:28]
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz