FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

ATL And FLL Gate Assignments

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:02 am

I have noticed over the past few YEARS that the higher density flights tend to go into and out of T gates in ATL. (LGA, FLL, DCA) Is this cooincidence?

Also, every Delta ATL-FLL-ATL run goes into the same gate (the gate # changes daily)
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

gr8slvrflt

RE: ATL And FLL Gate Assignments

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:11 am

Delta used to use the close-in, easily accessible (without getting on the train) T-gates for the hourly flights to New York, Newark, Washington, Chigago and Dallas. I think they try to save them for Business-oriented flights with high O & D traffic.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

BR715-A1-30

Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:51 am

They also frequently use them for ATL-MCO-ATL-MCO routes. (Don't they?)
Puhdiddle

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:53 am

I've flown only from ATL-FLL and ATL-LGA and twice have had to go beyond T-gates. I've been to D and B once to pick someone up and C once to fly on FL, but T and A are most familiar to me. (which is nice since I'm not a fan of the train)

TLHFLA

Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:45 am

Ah yes, the train at ATL. Everytime I pass through ATL, I wind up having to change concourses. I always like how they try new tactics to keep people from delaying the train by pushing the doors open. I can remember at one time they had a loud recording that would sound when the train was leaving, something like "STOP-Do not enter"! with sirens going off simultaneously. The last time I passed through ATL, I noticed they replaced the announcement with a calmer one warning that the doors could not be reopened when closing. I guess this implies that passengers who dare try to prop the doors open will have their hands chopped off. I guess its kind of an analogy of Hartsfield Airport...keep moving and don't delay things or else you will be punished!
Bill in ATL

airworthy

Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:01 am

They also frequently use them for ATL-MCO-ATL-MCO routes. (Don't they?)

Most MCO routes use the E concourse due to the planes used, 777s, MD11, and 767 need the extra gate space at the E concourse.

FLAIRPORT
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:33 pm

yep, thats whay i don't ride the train between T-B. After concourse B it empties out so none of that pushing stuff. I remember once i had to get to D. I walked from the terminal to B, hopped on and there was nobody on. The gate got changed to B and when we got down, there was an empty train "waiting". nobody on at all!