cmm340

Senority Vs. Experience?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:34 pm

Although i respect senority for bidding purposes and all that associated with.
Recently have had bad experiences with 'know-it-all' f/a's'
These f/a's with little or no experience, hired for an airline that operated for no more than six weeks, then laid-off until a bankruptcy of another airline, then called back due to an influx of air travel left in this vaccuum, who feel that they know-it-all, and boss you around to the n'th degree because their more senior?
How do you treat the senority vs. experience phenomenia?

cmm340

artsyman

RE: Senority Vs. Experience?

Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:55 pm

We'll seniority within the airline will equate equally with experience, as the person with seniority has to have been there gaining experience longer than the person with lower seniority. Seniority is based on hire date, not on age. Now if you want to talk about seniority versus quality, then you have a discussion.

1world

RE: Seniority Vs. Experience?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:07 am

cmm340,

I know what your are talking about, it happens everywhere. New fA's aren't generally the problem here, the ones that have a few months experience at an airline that shut down or went bankrupt all of a sudden become experts.

Confrontations onboard are never good so if you have a problem with someone just take him/her aside after the flight (not before) and let them know what you think. Alternatively, you can choose to work at opposite ends of the aircraft. We all know that their are times that you don't even go up front or to the aft galley.

I am pretty sure I know what airline employees your talking about.
YYZ spotter

IMissPiedmont

RE: Seniority Vs. Experience?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:26 pm

And perhaps one might think that the airline industry is the only one afflicted with this? Although I work, to a point, in the aviation industry I assure you that seniority is king.

I have people on my team that produce, after 1 year, more than the lazy and complacent people that have been on board for 7 years. Dare I suggest that they be paid 30% more than my slackers? Well, no. After all the slackers have proven their "loyalty" to the company. The only thing they've proven to me is that are slackers. The only thing I can do is give these losers the least desirable tasks. Of course they cry about it, as all lightweights do, but they are stuck with it or they quit.

Have I gone off topic a bit? I suspect so but after having the usual group of 6 come crying, I felt the need to vent a bit.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.