cedarjet

Big New Int'l Airport At Parkes NSW Australia?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:10 am

I've heard they're building a big (A380, Antanov) airport at Parkes NSW (see: The Dish) for cargo. Agriculture is one of biggest exports for Australia (biggest market for beef is Japan; for wheat it is, believe it or not, Iraq) and at the moment it all has to be trucked through mountains and then the Sydney traffic to Kingsford Smith.

Anyone else heard this? Anything to add?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

jupiter2

RE: Big New Int'l Airport At Parkes NSW Australia?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:53 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!
This idea has floated around for at least 10 years. The plan was to consolidate perishable shipments from around N.S.W, Victoria and southern Queensland and ship direct to Asia from Parkes, which is pretty centralized and has decent road and rail links.
If someone is stupid enough to part with a billion dollars to build a large airport solely for this purpose, well they should be committed, but then again we are talking about the airfreight industry which does not run on logic.
It will not happen.
RL

Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:13 am

Guys,

Beleive it or not - it's not such a mad idea. Although I haven't heard about the airport side of things - there is the need for a huge inland freight centre.

Especially now that the Alice Springs to Darwin rail link is being built.

Other inland cities are vying for the freight centre right now.

Cheers,

mb

JetRanger2000

RE: Wifi On Planes?

Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:12 am

The Dish? Saw that one on a flight actually.
I thought the 380 was designed to fit into the same 80 x 80 m (?) box that every plane has to fit?

cedarjet

Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:56 pm

So the airport at Parkes isn't a go-er? Just an old plan they dust off every ten years or so? I was under the impression that it had been given the green light.

The A380 is indeed no bigger from an airport handling and operational point of view than any other plane. But I said "A380-worthy" instead of mentioning the 747 cos it's not 1978 anymore. Get with the programme!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

mandala499

Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:45 pm

Well, this is not a new idea. However, one of the persons in this "consortium" was running after my then gf... LOL nice way to use women to get information !

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

cedarjet

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:56 am

So Mandala499, what IS the information?

mandala499

Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:21 am

I either have sold off the information Big grin or she ran away with my files on Parkes ! Make your guesses.

To summarize... Yes, A380s were mentioned. Markets ? Well, Japan...
The concept itself sounds good, however, I doubt the seriousness of some the people in the group (read above Big grin )

Seriously CedarJet, the concept was good but what they planned was just "ordinary" and nothing to drool about....

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !