hamad

Carriying Demo Equipment Through Security

Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:52 pm

lately when i came to SFO, a friend of mine was a flight attendant on the plane, and she gave me a seat belt extension and an oxygen mask for me to keep.. and since i am heading back to DC, would i have problems taking them through security? or shall i mail them to my address?
PHX - i miss spotting

2912n

RE: Carriying Demo Equipment Through Security

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:25 pm

Either put them in checked baggage or mail them. Just save yourself any potential headache.

jhooper

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:44 pm

Check the TSA prohibited item list at http://www.tsa.gov to see if it's prohibited. I don't believe that it is. What's potentially dangerous about a seat belt and oxygen mask?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

fly_emirates

Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:29 am

I have checked the website Jhooper, and oh my god i foud one of the stupidist thing in planning securities. Toy guns are allowed.. ok let me try to understand this:

what if i have a toy gun that really looks as if it was a real one! people would really think its real and get scared and i could hijack a plane! that is so impressive, there you go, real security

jwenting

Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:39 pm

what if i have a toy gun that really looks as if it was a real one! people would really think its real and get scared and i could hijack a plane! that is so impressive, there you go, real security

I think that if you look further into the matter toy guns that looks too much like real guns (up to the discretion of the officer) are banned as illegal firearms under law rather than TSA regulations.

Check the TSA prohibited item list at http://www.tsa.gov to see if it's prohibited. I don't believe that it is. What's potentially dangerous about a seat belt and oxygen mask?

Not a lot (except you could use the belt as a garotte...
You're more likely to get into trouble when someone thinks you stole them than from someone thinking they're dangerous. Or did you get a note signed by the crewmember with name and contact number?
I wish I were flying

jhooper

Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:31 am

Yea, I see on the list where it says you can bring toy weapons onboard planes unless it's a realistic replica . I wouldn't expect TSA to take a very liberal approach to what is considered realistic and what isn't. If it can be used to hijack the plane, it won't be allowed. I've heard of little fake guns carried by small dolls being confiscated.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.