ammunition

BHX-INDIA Direct From November New Start Up Rumour

Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:29 am

speaking to my local travel agent, he informed me of a new airline starting up from birmingham to amritsar or delhi in november.
He mentioned it to be a possible charter flight, that it was a british company or at least uk based, would be once or twice per week, and that it was all ready to go, i.e. rights e.t.c all gained.

I am somewhat sceptical of new starters, especially after the controversy surrounding air slovakias uk-india route via slovakia, its advertisement campaign also seems to be somehwat missleading. (air slovakia due to fly from 29/6/03)

Ive searched on the net and have been unable to find any information.
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

bhxforever

RE: BHX-INDIA Direct From November New Start Up Rumour

Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:22 pm

Oh no not another one! I really would ignore it as these new operators never seem to materialise!

englandair

Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:13 am

Asia Express? I beleive the rumors envolved a leased B763....

donder10

Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:29 am

Does the current UK-India bi-lateral allow this?

englandair

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:55 am

Monarch and Air 2000 currently serve Goa, India on a charter basis. I'm sure I read once (in a Lonely Plannet guide I think) that passengers on a charter flight to India must travel as part of a package (i.e including accomodation), so I doubt they're planning charters!

jaysit

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:19 pm

"Does the current UK-India bi-lateral allow this?"

Isn't this immaterial?
You fly Emirates to Dubai and get on one of their daily flights to Birmingham or Manchester for less than what you pay to fly on AI or BA via London.

Atheism is Myth Understood.

Pe@rson

Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:58 pm

Certainly interesting, even if it doesn't materialise.

I've been to Amritsar (home of Sikhism's fundamental Golden Temple), but I'm wondering whether there would be sufficent year-round demand to warrant a once- or twice-weekly non-stop service to BHX. Naturally, this service would be of great importance to Sikhs living in or originating from the UK, but not tourists. The current option of reaching Amristar from the UK is via DEL (from LHR) or via TAS (from BHX).
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

VS601

Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:09 pm

The airline to be operating this is FLYJET. Based at Gatwick has taken delivery of its 1st B757-200.

Aviance will be the ground handling agents in the north terminal at LGW, from 1st Nov will be operating weekly charter service to Amritsa.

Source: LGW Skyport.

B747-437B

Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:52 pm

As long as they run the flights exclusively as charters with no sales in India or to Indian nationals (sales to Non-Resident Indians are permitted only as package tours) then the bilateral permits them to operate.

The demand is definitely there, (AI used to operate ATQ-SVO-BHX with the 707s) but the viability of a weekly route with restricted sales potential is questionable.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

bhxforever

Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:52 am

I thought that some of the BHX Turkmenistan services were direct to Amritsar, with a stop in Askhabad, but then the same aircraft continued onto Amritsar?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos