KCLE
Topic Author

No More Locks On Check In Luggage Thanks Bin Laden

Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:08 am

Before I leave for a weeklong vacation, I would like to vent.

Since when have locks been illegal to put on luggage? I'm all for searching for bombs but Christ Jesus you have to leave your luggage wide open for greedy bag searchers to go through, take what they please, mess up your belongings, and then half close your bags for them to open and scatter the contents all over the airport.

I though we had freedom in this country, freedom from having people dig through your stuff like every single person in the world is a terrorist. Anymore the US Government is doing Nazi scare tactics to us. No one's going to do anything on a plane in the US anymore. They had their fun, now they'll go onto something else. But a note to bin Laden and friends, thank you for destroying our country and ruining the airline industry by giving bag handlers every God damn right to search through your personal belongings. They have them 1000000000000000000 dollar 30th century technologically advanced bomb chamber things for your bags, why not put the bags in there? Just so the poor bag handlers can peek at what everyone has. Do I feel safer now? Hell no, I'm even more afraid nowadays that some little snide bag handlers going to help himself to what's in my bag and take advantage of the Nazi rule that you can't put locks on your bags. People did that for decades and people still do it around the world. It's called privacy, but not in the paranoid United States of America, nooooo, we get to let all the bag handlers sift through our clothes and papers and everything else to make sure each and every person in this country and every single person is not a terrorist.

Thank you terrorists of the world. I'm sure you're laughing like crazy seeing as though you've made such a mockery of homeland security.

Any thoughts on this? I'll be back next Saturday after a nice relaxing vacation in Las Vegas, Flagstaff, and Scottsdale.

SegmentKing

RE: No More Locks On Check In Luggage Thanks Bin Laden

Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:30 am

been like this since the beginning of the year....
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

EWRvirgin

Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:36 am

Its not illegal to lock your bags. Just be prepared to have your lock broken if the TSA is unable to determine what's inside your bags with the X-Ray.

Its a hassle and a PITA but do you have a better solution?

KKMolokai

Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:36 am

Small price to pay ...
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

fpdonald

Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:41 am

Unaware of it being illegal to lock checked baggage, but have always assumed that it's not difficult to get into - without breaking a lock/code. With that assumption in place, and freedom of mind, I will continue to check baggage, and keeps my valuables with me. Also, I will continue to leave baggage in hotel rooms, and other "trusted" secure places, while using other means to "personally" secure what needs to be while out of my sight.

Now, I wonder, will the luggage companies cease to put locks on their brands?

HlywdCatft

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:04 pm

Yeah and in the meantime TSA will not search muslims out of fear they will have a discrimination lawsuit against them.

Its just the same old story day in day out- make the rest of America suffer because of one group that screws it up and in fact give that group more rights.

jetstar

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:23 pm

If your luggage has a built in lock like on hard sided luggage, the TSA will break the lock if they have to open it up and inspect inside and leave it unlocked. If you have a soft side with a removable lock the TSA recommends that you use a nylon tie wrap. I buy these by the bundle in Home Depot and use them all the time, the cost is just pennies each.

If the TSA opens your luggage, all they have to do is cut the tie wrap and then they will place another tie wrap through the holes to lock the luggage.
Some airlines are also supplies these tie wraps at luggage Check in.

To cut the tie wrap, carry a nail clippers, they are allowed to be carried on board with you or put it in an unlocked pocket on your luggage, Also carry additional tie wraps for the return trip. One recommendation, do not pull the tie wrap tight, leave about a 1/2" loop so you can easily cut into the edge of the loop of the tie wrap with the nail clippers.

I have traveled numerous times using these tie wraps and have had no problem
with my luggage being left unlocked by the TSA or cutting the tie wrap off when I have to open my luggage.

Also at some airports you can watch your luggage go through TSA inspection and if it passes you can go and place your regular lock on your soft side or lock your hard side. I have done this at JFK and LAS on AA. But at other airports the luggage inspection is out of sight.

2912n

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:24 pm

They don't want you to have the bag locked until it is inspected. Once our bags were inspected we were allowed to put locks on them. (I prefer plastic cable ties to locks. A bit more secure._)

L-188

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:31 pm

I am really considering buying one of those food saver vacume baggers and then vacume sealing all my clothes in.

Then going down to Walmart and getting some of that clear plastic kiddie luggage and using that.

If they can see in there is no need to open it right???
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

fpdonald

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:36 pm

The original anger appears to be towards dishonest baggage handlers. While no system will be foolproof, one must also ascertain that with the increase in surveillance, internal luggage pilfering will also be easier to pinpoint - and hence subside.

The ultimate answer seems to be in the numerous cabin size approved roll aboard luggage alternatives - which barely leave one's sight. I've seen some as low as US$10 and the more sturdy name brands upwards of $100 - it depends on the investment that one wants to make.

Hey, with birthday's and all the other "gifted" holidays, maybe it's time to add to your wish list.

Baggage insurance is another option.

L-188

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:41 pm

Baggage insurance is another option.

And how many baggage insurance policies don't limit the insurers liability in the case the baggage wasn't locked and secured?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

citationjet

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:51 pm

I know someone who had jewlery stolen from their unlocked checked luggage on a nonstop flight from Cancun to St. Louis.
The jewlery was in the suitcase at the hotel. The most likely scenario was the jewlery was stolen in the back room of the airport after the luggage was checked in for the flight.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

fpdonald

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:57 pm

Limit yes, but what on earth are you checking that couldn't be fit into a rollerboard - and what those behind the scenes pilferers can pilfer easily? Travel lightly and/or check with the airline regarding extra security/coverage for your priceless valuables.

Common sense, prevails - usually.

flight152

Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:58 pm

KCLE
I though we had freedom in this country, freedom from having people dig through your stuff like every single person in the world is a terrorist.

Umm..no.

Flying is a privilege, not a right. You have no constutitional right to have no one look inside your luggage. It is the prior right of the passengers to be safe, over your anger no to be able to put a lock on your luggage.

Dude, maybe you should read up on the Constutition before flying!

notdownnlocked

Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:12 pm

I had some valuables I have to use for work but they cannot be brought onto the aircraft. I had no choice but to check them in but I guess some asshole TSA bastard decided he needed it more than me as I'm sure it was pocketed and now is located somewhere in a pawnshop around LaGuardia. I'm all for inspections being completed in full view of the owner and then relocked and sent onto the flight.

flyingbronco05

Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:02 pm

Both my mom and dad tell me and my sis to lock our bags.

We have never been told to unlock our bags since 9/11.

Maybe we are just lucky.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

acidradio
Crew

Sat Jun 14, 2003 2:08 pm

Why the hell would you put anything like jewelry in a checked suitcase? That is just plain foolish. Actually my favorite is when people check their medications, which they often need while ON THE PLANE. My dad did this once and sure enough, the flight gets cancelled, bag rerouting is a mess and it was very fortunate that we got his bags back in a decent amount of time. All the while, instead of being concerned about getting back his medications that he needs to LIVE, he was pestering the gate agent about making sure that our frequent flier miles were correctly applied to the new flights.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

VS744

Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:20 pm

They have them 1000000000000000000 dollar 30th century technologically advanced bomb chamber things for your bags, why not put the bags in there?

They're too heavy and expensive to be viable for regular airline use...

I've been through the same problem with the US authorities checking my baggage. On a recent trip to New York, we arrived back to find a plastic tie in place of the expensive locks we bought 2 days earlier! inside were the remains of the locks taped to a note from the authorities explaining. I can understand that they have to do this but:

1) The airline (Virgin) should have warned us at checkin
2) They could put in replacement locks. I don't care how much it would cost them, if they're going to destroy something of mine without warning me it could happen, I expect them to pay for replacements!

On the other hand, don't lock the bags and end up losing your belongings (which happened to me on a Ryaniair flight last year!)

Its a no win situation, and again, nice one Bin Laden you freaking ahole!.

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:05 pm

Do any of you actually think a lock will keep some dis-honest ramp agent out of your bag? If you have a soft side zipper suitcase simply push a ball point pen through the zipper and the bag is now opened, to close the bag simply zip it up. It will appear that the bag was never opened. Simply put if someone wants to steal something from your bag bad enough the lock wont stop them. The only thing locks are good for is keeping the bag from opening on its own.

In the 5 years I have worked on the ramp, I have yet to ever see a co-worker steal anything. Theft is not as big a problem as the public seems to think.

jwenting

Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:52 pm

It's even easier. Bags disappear all the time, a few more won't be noticed...

At Schiphol last year they dismantled an operation that stole truckloads of luggage over several years, a few bags each day.
Noone ever noticed until a new surveillance system was put in place to stay within current regulations (ostensibly to prevent workers from slipping contraband goods and explosives into the luggage containers or retreiving them).
I wish I were flying

USAJPNflyer

Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:15 pm

Like most people here, I am also for increased security. However, I still think that the checked bag inspections should be done before the passenger checks in the bags.

For example, here in Japan, before proceeding to the check-in counter, everyone gets their checked bags screened. If the bags need to be opened, either the OWNER opens it in front of security or security opens in IN FRONT of the OWNER. At Narita Airport, this is done in a cordoned-off area next to the check-in counters. After the inspection is finished, the bags are locked, and security tape is then put on top of the zippers/lock to show that they have gone through inspection. The passengers then check-in as usual, and the bags are not opened again.

The wait time for this inspection process is only a few minutes, depending on how many people are checking in. In any case, there is an inspection area next to each bank of check-in counters, so it is not as if everyone has to go through one big central check-point.

This is probably a better process - 100% of checked baggage gets inspected, passengers are reassured as to the security of their bags, and delays are minimal.

Why the TSA insists on doing baggage inspection out of sight is a mystery to me. Maybe they feel the wait time to do it in front is a hassle....

Any potential problems with this method in the USA?

notdownnlocked

Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:45 pm

I completely agree with USAJPNflyer but the problem here in the US is that if the TSA people were to do this in sight of the owners, how would they be able to supplement their pittance incomes without the stolen goods? Nonetheless how can anybody feel safe flying in the skies of the US? If somebody can take something out of your locked bag (not a soft leather suitcase where the zipper can be pried open) but a steel reinforced hardened box/trunk fully legal to be checked in), how easy would it be to put something in than to smuggle it out? I guess for now it's a widespread problem as just ask any TSA agent and they can easily find and give you a claim form for missing or pilfered items. There was also an article on ATW.com a week or two about a Senator or Congressman asking in public why all the TSA employees have not undergone complete background checks before being hired. It is mentioned how some of the employees go from parole to TSA payroll without the complete checks.

USAJPNflyer

Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:29 pm

Another problem with the inspections-not-in-sight process, as Notdownnlocked suggests, is that things could be put into checked baggage.

It is conceivable that smuggling rings could use passenger baggage as conveyances for illegal goods (e.g. drugs or contraband). A group could be at the departing airport putting contraband in, and another group could be at the arriving airport, taking contraband out before the bags get to baggage claim. If for some reason the 'goods' are not retrieved before the passenger claims the bags on arrival, guess who is responsible? The unsuspecting passenger...

In certain countries (e.g. Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines), having drugs in your checked baggage may result in an automatic death penalty for drug smuggling. How will the innocent passenger defend himself/herself if the drugs are inside? Would these certain countries be sympathetic to the 'unlocked bag' defense?

BR715-A1-30

Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:49 pm

If they can see in there is no need to open it right???

Oh trust me L-188, They'll find a way.  Yeah sure
Puhdiddle

ha763

Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:02 pm

Unfortunately, the check-in lobbies of the US airports were not designed for all the increased security we now have. Once it was determined that there would be 100% bag checks using the CTX machines, TSA, the airports, and the airlines had to figure out where to put them. These machines take up a lot of space and are about the weight of a minivan and the lobby floors would not be able to handle the weight of all the CTX machines.

For example, when only random checks were mandated prior to Sept. 11, HA and AQ each had their CTX machine set up in their respective lobbies and it took up a lot of space. Now, with HA and AQ having approximately 4 more CTX machines each, there was no way they could put them in the lobbies and had to put them in the already busy bag make up areas because that's the only place that had room so it could be put in such a short time.

I was able to listen to some of the planning done to meet the 100% bag check requirement and saw the plans on how it would be set up. Even though it is not the most efficent or preferred set up, it was the best that could be done in such a short time.

N754PR

Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:07 pm

It has nothing to do with Bin Laden, it has more to do with crappy security guys that work for peanuts and do care about their job.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

Tan Flyr

Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:49 pm

In airports where the screening is done prior to check-in, Ihave noticed that when the line is long, they just do the tests with the swabs, etc., then send you on your way. If you show up a bit early, and they are standing around, they open your bags, rifle through your stuff..comment on how nice your stuff is, or your bags are, or how many clothes you are taking. So, it really seems to me that there is no corelation between security screening of bags and any threat that one may pose.Many hours of the day it is a new Government make work project.

I also use the nylon/plastic Home Depot ties. At some airports they allow you to secure it after they have finished, others they insist on doing it. Some of these folks have acted like an as_ when you ask to secure YOUR baggage after the inspection.
DOT (Mineta) needs to kick some butt and get all these folks on the same page.

yqfca

Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:02 pm

You asked my opinion on these terrorists.
I recently came across this little piece I like to share with you from a motorcycle magazine website:

Everyone seems to be wondering why Muslim terrorists are so quick to commit suicide. Lets see now...No beer, No booze, No bars, No television, No cheerleaders, No baseball, No football, No basketball, No hockey, No golf, No tailgate parties, No hooters, No pork BBQ, No hot-dogs, No burgers, No lobster, shellfish, or even frozen fish sticks.

Rags for clothes, towels for hats. Constant whining from the guy next door because he is sick and there are no doctors. 24-hour wailing from a guy in the tower.

No chocolate chip cookies, No Christmas, and you can't shave. Your wife can't shave; you can't shower to wash off the smell of donkey cooked over burning camel dung.

The women have to wear baggy dresses and veils at all times. Your bride is picked by someone else, she smells just like your donkey, but your donkey has a better disposition - - and you can't guess why.

Then some schmuck tells you if you blow yourself up things all get better.

No mystery here!

HlywdCatft

Sat Jun 14, 2003 11:19 pm

**It has nothing to do with Bin Laden, it has more to do with crappy security guys that work for peanuts and do care about their job.**

Are you kidding??? A TSA worker starts out at about $14-15 an hour, the supervisors can make up to $20 an hour. Yes our taxes are paying for these idiots.

Where can you find a job that you don't need an education for or join a union for that pays you $14-20 an hour?

777guy

Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:04 am

I remember a few years ago when one of the news organizions did some secret filming of baggage workers in Miami. They were caught on film rifling through people's bags and later walking out passed security with plastic bags full and no one checking what was in them. I am sure they are more careful there now but to say that their are no dishonest baggage workers is totally laughable. I had one of my suitcases stolen on a flight many years ago and later found with locks busted. The poor fools wasted their time because I had nothing worth taking and everything was still in my suitcase. I now take my own luggage onboard with me and have learned to pack lightly. It is a shame that airlines do not have to take responsibility for their dishonest empoyees.

Ikarus

Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:34 am

Funny. In Heathrow, when they picked me for special attention and extra screening, they asked me to bring my luggage to a little room on the side. There, I'd open it for them, and when it took me 2 minutes to find the key to the little padlock, they actually took out a large keyring with keys for almost every luggage lock ever manufactured and asked whether I needed any help (I didn't because I found the right key in the end)... So for security purposes, there's no reason to prohibit locks - all the government needs is keys is they chose to screen the bag. And locks can keep the thieving handlers out. (Not just the American ones. After all, Heathrow used to be known as Thiefrow, Charles de Gaulle uses convicts for baggage handlers and most other airports also had/have their share of organized theft scandals...). Frankly, there is no justification for prohibiting locks - if it is indeed the case.

Either way. A law against locks on bags in the US? Is the government really already that Nazified? Wow.

dan2002

Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:21 am

I remember when i flew AA last year i had locks on my luggage and when i finally got to it in LAS the locks were gone and replaced with a red sticker.(strange aint it)
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

hamad

Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:58 am

I asked someone who works for continental, he was sitting beside me on a flight . i asked him why not inspect them infront of you, he said "oh, the new technology machines are bulky, and some airports upper level where you check in, they cannot withstand the weight of these machines, so they have to take the bags downstairs, and even if they inspect your bags infront of you this will delay the flight and you will end-up having angry customers. well, i told him basically that i still think its BS. all the airlines in other countries of the world, and other governments inspect your bag at your presence, and flights still depart around time.

HlywdCatft, i do understand your frustration against muslims, but this time, its a different issue, how would the screeners when opening or stealing from checked in luggage know that this is a muslim bag or an orthodox! dude, you need to watch the facts! if you were talking about security check point and not profiling muslims, i would totally understand. I am arabic and muslim, however, i get my carry ons screened all the time, and i get wanded all the time, I don't complain. I don't care if others complained, but it was the fault of the government since the beginining to allow "sue this, sue that"

PHX - i miss spotting

scottysair

Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:17 am

HlywdCatft,

You need get an GED or High School Diploma to get the job at TSA, ok? You will need get english communication with the job at TSA. This is very important need to do something for itself. You should need learn for yourself. Well, talk ya later!

Regards!

Scott W.

silverfox

Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:36 am

The possible drug scenario is very scary.
What can a passenger do if he gets caught. Blame GWB?

gigneil

RE: No More Locks On Check In Luggage Thanks Bin L

Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:21 am

Interestingly...

My mom traveled with locked luggage when visiting me in DC a few weeks back... lo and behold she got one of the notecards from TSA in her luggage, but the lock wasn't broken.

My guess is they have standard keys for all the major brands, just as Ikarus mentioned.

N

Jumbolino

Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:18 am

@Jwenting - now I know what happened with my luggage in Schiphol  Wink/being sarcastic
Well, two weeks later I've gotten it back, but I'm sure only because nothing else was in it instead of dirty clothes  Wink/being sarcastic

Jumbolino.

PS: happened before 09/11 and wasn't locked
Kind Regards, Jutta.

emiratesa345

Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:41 am

These procedures were not implemented by Osama Bin Laden. It was the American government. Sure, he was the cause, but I hardly believe that his main goal was to make sure no one was able to put locks on their luggage. I think you should thank your government, not him.

EmiratesA345  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

bobrayner

Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:55 am

Theft is pretty much universal. There's not much you can do about it except complain - in writing.

I once flew to Sofia and accidentally left my carry-on bag aboard. Yes, the carry-on bag being the one that contains all your valuables and paperwork.

As soon as I found out I went to the BA information desk. The lass at the desk said - in Bulgarian - "The plane is already being tidied up, so one of the cleaners has your bag. Do I look like I give a sh!t? If you don't want things to be stolen, don't let go of them."

I wrote a (politely worded) email of complaint to BA; obviously I'd never get the bag back, but maybe their customer-service ethic could be improved in places. I got the automated "Your message will be read by a human being shortly..." but there was no actual response

Now I don't fly BA.

[Edited 2003-06-14 23:57:29]
Cunning linguist

speedbirdyvr

Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:28 pm

Suggestion for those who live in SEA, BUF, or any US city close to the Canadian border: Drive to YVR/YYZ to take an international flight to Europe/Asia. You can lock up your bags as much as you want! I flew to NRT last month and much to my surprise, the C/I agent said that I can still lock my bags, so of course I rushed to the nearest news stand and bought a lock. I thought this new rule applied worldwide, and only then did I find out that it's only in the US.

Some airlines in YVR (JAL & PAL) cordon off their C/I areas and CT scan all checked baggage while the pax line up. Quite efficient the way they do it, considering that YVR's C/I area, like most US airports, was not built for this kind of security screening requirement.

ZOOMER

Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:05 pm

I'm surprised that American lawyers haven't taken this matter up in as much as I don't like the idea of my bags being opened by a third party without my presence. What stops a bent TSA official putting something in?! Bags should be checked in full view of the owner and then sealed. Simple and effective.

Jetblast25

Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:45 pm

Those plastic nylon tie wraps are the answer. If someone wants to get in to a bag with a lock, steel or otherwise,they will. So the wraps are good enough to keep casual intruders out and satisfy the law. Also since inspectors have the right to open and search your bag (though NOT to leave menacing notes re your politics inside) they will replace any removed ties. I recently flew fr SEA to Mongolia via Seoul and used the ties, they were perfect. I could see some were replaced, which I didn't mind, though I didn't think of the nail clipper trick so had to borrow scissors from the hotel desk to open the bag when I got there.

silverfox

Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:03 pm

Zoomer,
Exactly my point. I have mailed BA for their response, esp the possible scenario whereby villain 1 in US opens your bag so villain 2 in UK or wherever can retrieve said contraband,but what is Villain 2 isnt there and you get stopped and searched by customs. They are bastards on a good day, imagine them when this happens. 'Oh yes sir and it wasnt you then, theres a good boy and off you go!. I THINK NOT. it will be the full rubber glove treatment, and what if its drugs and this is Singapore? Not worth thinking about, and will the good ol' US take responsibility? Again dont hold your breath esp as i now consider the question 'Have you packed these yourself?' must now be answered 'Yes, but whatever is put in them subsequently isnt my responsilbility!!
I will put up BA answer if this thread is still a current one

copter808

Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:55 am

AWA22 You might not have ever seen anyone going through a bag (neither have I), but I'll bet that you've seen hundreds of broken locks littering the ramp!

Using a lock on your soft sided suitcases (zippers) not only does NOT protect the contents, it actually CAUSES damage when the lock catches on something.

(AWA, I'm not flaming you, we're both on the same side!)

gigneil

RE: No More Locks On Check In Luggage Thanks Bin L

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:13 pm

I'm surprised that American lawyers haven't taken this matter up in as much as I don't like the idea of my bags being opened by a third party without my presence. What stops a bent TSA official putting something in?! Bags should be checked in full view of the owner and then sealed. Simple and effective.

I don't disagree... I think its a horrible approach when just screening in your presence would suffice. But.

Its not wanton search and seizure, which is what the constitution protects us from. We're not being picked at random off the street and being searched. We're purchasing a service, and as part of the contract of carriage we grant a license to search our baggage. If we do not like these terms, just like being searched on entry to an arena or stadium, we're welcome to take our business to other methods of mass transport.

N

notdownnlocked

Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:59 pm

Gigneil,
So you are also saying that having items picked from your luggage should be written off as just a cost of doing business whether it is personal items or not. It is wanton seizure when the TSA takes whatever fits their fancy from your checked bags. I think perhaps you haven't been through this or you would understand. I just returned from a country that is embroiled in a war and I was travelling on behalf of the US government and the company where I work but what you are telling me is I should make some different arrangements and take a bus to ship to camel and vv if I want to continue to keep my employment. Where in the contract as you state does it state that I should have an expectation to have my perfectly legal items lifted and used for the personal use of any wayward TSA employee? Are you telling us all here that anything you check in is fair game in that it's only a chance you will get it at your destination?

silverfox

Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:25 am

Ok folks hers the reply from BA. It would appaer that they are only the messenger. so dont get uptight at them.

Thank you for your e-mail to British Airways.
Regarding your query, the new rule will apply at all 429 United States'
commercial
airports. According to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA),
inspectors will
open bags that set off an automatic alarm or raise suspicion of security
staff checking x-
ray screens. Checked bags which have been searched will have a
"notification of baggage
inspection" label put inside stating TSA is not liable for damage. The bag
will then be
sealed.
I can understand your concern about the security of your baggage. Please
be assure your
baggage will be in the hands of either baggage handler or TSA agents and
security steps
in place to prevent tampering will continue. Bags are subject to x-ray and
hand
inspection. Details of security steps are not released as to do so could
jeopardise these
measures.
I do hope I have been able to reassure you. We look forward to welcoming
you on board
one of our flights soon and wish you
Yours sincerely

Dont fill you with confidence does it?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos