mirrodie

Airliners.net Meeting At Cradle Of Aviation + Kfrg

Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:54 am

VC-10 was in town today so we decided to have the airliners.net Spring 2003 Board of Trustees meeting this afternoon at:

The Cradle of Aviation Museum in Mitchel Field, Long Island, NY. This wonderful museum is located near Nassau Coliseum and the Museum of Silly Walks. After a taxing day of discussing forum relations, we saw a wonderful IMAX film called the Magic of Flight. Then we sampled some of the aircraft on hand, including the A-10, the Flying Texan, Hawkeye, Intruder, Tracker and a whole host of other Grumman aircraft. If you are in NY, this is a great museum to see.

Soon after, we caravan-ed past Roosevelt Field mall (where Lindbergh departed for that historic trip) and drove to the:

American AirPower Museum: This is where Grumman did a lot of work on its Tomcats, Hawkeyes and Warthogs. Besides seeing these static aircraft, VC-10 and I were surprised by an fantastic fly-by of a p-51 Mustang and a P47 Thunderbolt. These two aircraft did a number of fly-bys and then landed and taxied to within 20 feet of us.

I'd like to thank VC-10 for coming out. The board meeting was productive and ended over a few rounds of Bud Light and Sam Adams.
(Johan, we will send you the bill.  Wink/being sarcastic)

To you guys planning a visit to NY, think about spending a day on Long Island to see these museums, or maybe even see only one of them and then hit our beaches.

Thanks for your time in reading.

This meeting of the Airliners.net board of directors is concluded. It has been our pleasure serving you.

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

mirrodie

RE: Airliners.net Meeting At Cradle Of Aviation + Kfrg

Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:29 am

addendum: VC-10 just called my cellular. He just arrived back at his abode near EWR after over 3 hours in traffic.

I think we should all thank him for braving the traffic and terrible motorists on the Belt.

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st