OD720
Topic Author

MEA To Sao Paolo?

Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:50 pm

MEA was asked by prime minister Hariri to start working on BEY-Sao Paolo route which the chairman of the company, Mr Hout, confirmed yesterday adding that they will study the possibilities and act to the best of the company's interest.
MEA served Sao Paolo a few years ago but later dropped it. If the company goes ahead with the plan, it will need to aqcuire additional planes in the future.

If there is actually demand on this route, why doesn't Varig consided it too?

Regards.

Amir

RE: MEA To Sao Paolo?

Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:18 pm

Hi Vatche,

interesting! it seems that Rafik has many interests in Brasil!
What i know is that RG was about to fly to BEY in the mid nintees but then it was dropped due to high risk of failing. Their GSA was keen to get the flights.
I hope MEA will not fly to SAO! it will be too hard to break even on this -though high demanded- but very expensive and low yield market.
If i was MEA i would rather concentrate to get a decent SPA in place with some EU majors via some MEA EU-Gateways. As far as i know the current ones are quite expensive.

Iam afraid it is the arabic dream of flying long haul! see GF, SV, MS....and others. Here often the fancy sexy part weighs more than the economical one

Brgds
Amir

zizou

Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:44 pm

They are pretty close to Air France. Maybe a codeshare on Air France's Paris-Sao Paulo/Rio De Jeneiro flights would be a better and more importantly a viable option.

EurostarVA

Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:41 pm

Considering Brazil is home to the world's most wealthy Lebanese community, the BEY-GRU route would generate higher yields compared to other routes such as BEY-Montreal or BEY-Sydney.

If they get the right aircraft to fly this route, they will succeed in my opinion. Could their A330 fly to Sao Paulo direct from Beirut??

EurostarVA
If there is a will, there is a way

OD720
Topic Author

Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:48 pm

MEA already has an strong alliance with Air France and the french carrier is the main airline connecting South America with Lebanon.

I'm sure MEA won't act immediately because the Prime Minister thinks it's a good idea to have a direct service to South America. The company's interests are above all here and Mr Hariri is a good businessman and understands the situation well.

Amir

Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:48 pm

Hi,
I agree with you that the yields could be higher than the terrible low ones from Canada to BEY. However it will be a matter of their long range strategy.
If there is non it will be nonsense to start with one long range destination.
It would be great to have some long range dest. with decent feeder service to/from regional destinations from BEY. Remember that ethnic travel is always sort of seasonal. It is very expensive to have one or two single long haul destinations which are served 2-3 times a week. This is a dead birth seen at many small carriers.

it would be more than uneconomical to fly nonstop from BEY to SAO. A possibility is to prolong the existing LOS, Kano or Abidjan flights to SAO.

Regards
Amir

airmale

Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:57 pm

I think Varig should ply the route.
.....up there with the best!

OD720
Topic Author

Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:40 am

MEA's Sao Paolo (GRU) service was an extension to its West African destinations and it was operated between 1995 and 1998. Many destinations (more than a dozen) were dropped that same year to reduce cost and optimize their network. So I'm not sure if it was suspended because of low yeilds or as part of a major restructuring plan.
Amir is right saying that ethnic destinations are not always profitable ones and sometimes do not justify the costs. But who knows, since GRU will be the only direct link between South America and the Middle East, it might become a success. Then we will see Lan Chile and definitely Emirates jumping into this market.

wunderk

Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:31 am

I remember seeing a MEA 747 in Sao Paulo in 1997, before MEA got out of most inter-continental routes and withdrew the jumbos.

I think, at this stage, the easiest for MEA to resume Sao Paulo is to use its A330s and make one stop in West Africa. I vaguely recall they used to fly to Abidjan, but as Cote D'Ivoire/Ivory Coast has been going through civil unrests lately, they may have to pick Dakar or somewhere in Nigeria. I think Dakar is more probable because both Lebanon and Senegal are francophone countries. Also, Nigeria, as a bigger country trying to rebuild its own airline, may present more problems in granting traffic rights.

As for Middle Eastern airlines flying to South America, I recall Iraqi Airways used to fly its 747SPs to Rio. So did Royal Air Maroc. The latter flew that service until the early 1990s.

EurostarVA

Wed Jun 18, 2003 1:51 am

I would think a BEY-Lagos-Sao Paulo would not work as well as a BEY-Lagos-Rio de Janeiro due to the latter's historical african links with Nigeria.

Varig operated Rio-Lagos for decades until the service was suspended in the late 90's. Bellview Airlines of Nigeria started again in 1999 with a weekly A300 but that was stopped as well. In any case, I doubt Lagos-Sao Paulo would generate any traffic but in any case there are no links to South America from West Africa, so it could work well.

With no traffic rights between Africa and Sao Paulo, I dont see the route succeeding. Their best bet is to lease 2 A340's and restart direct flights to Australia and Brazil, with feeder traffic in the Middle East.

EurostarVA
If there is a will, there is a way

wunderk

Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:07 am

EurostarVA: Very interesting points in your post above. While it is possible MEA will pick Rio over Sao Paulo if it ever returns to South America, I find the general trend in recent years is for long haul flights to abandon Rio and go for Sao Paulo instead. Perhaps that's because Sao Paulo has more business traffic with Rio being more touristy.

Maybe, as you mentioned, MEA can find a cheap A340-200 or two from various airlines giving up the type and go nonstop.

airmale

Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:17 am

It would be something if Korean Air or JAL rerouted their Sao Paulo services via BEY.

TS-IOR

Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:14 pm

If there should be a stop-over,Tunis and Casablanca should be considered.

Aeroflot used to fly Moscow-Sao Paolo via Tunis.

planenutz

Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:00 am

Didn't Iragi Airways also fly to GRU via Lisbon and then Casablanca?
A lot of people are unaware, but Brasil does have a large Arab community as well as business ties to the Middle East through the oil industry.
Not all who wander are lost....

wunderk

Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:10 am

Planeneutz: See my reply #8 above.

airmale

Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:29 am

What about Malaysia Airlines doing BEY-Sao Paulo?

Neo

Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:04 am

It's SAO PAULO not SAO PAOLO!

A direct conection between South America and the Middle East is most needed!!!

Smile

Neo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos