SAA-SAL
Topic Author

Single More Expensive Than Return Tickets. Why?

Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:29 am

This has already happened twice to me : In March I wanted to buy a single ticket between Geneva and Madrid on Swiss. This ticket was priced at approx 1000 Euros. I then went to a travel agent who bought me a return ticket on this route for less than 300 Euros including commission. Now I wish to travel between Nice and Madrid with single tickets varying between 700 and 900 Euros. The return tickets cost about 350 Euros. My question is why does a single ticket cost me more than a return. The airline is actually being payed more to offer less! This goes for any day of the week , be it a Saturday or a Tuesday. What is the economical logic behind this for airlines?
SAA B747 SP, Luxavia B747 SP

aloges

RE: Single More Expensive Than Return Tickets. Why?

Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:34 am

First, it's because all one-way tickets cost the full Y-class fare. The full fare for a round-trip should be exactly two times the one-way fare.

Second, as I was once told by an agent, it's mostly businessmen who fly one-way, and they neither bother about the money to be spent, nor are they able to plan ahead to get lower fares.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

IslandHopper

Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:11 pm

Too bad Europe isn't served by JetBlue. They sell one-way tickets for half the round trip price.

lanperu

Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:45 pm

My guess is that with a roundtrip ticket you have a guaranteed revenue on both flight regardless if you decide to return or not. The one-way is only playing for one flight so the airline has to make as much revenue from that flight possible.

lmml 14/32

Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:29 pm

...it's mostly businessmen who fly one-way...

On the contrary, businessmen want to return to their office as soon as possible. That is why they are actualy made to pay for the business class fare. Most cheaper restrictive fares are for a duration of 3 days or more. The longer the minimum stay the cheaper the ticket. A businessman who cannot afford to stay away for the office cannot use this fare and has to buy a business class ticket - hence the name!

Like Aloges said, a one way Y fare is half the full return Y fare, which in Europe equates (on most airlines) the Business class fare. There are some limited discounts on Business class fares these days. AirMalta calls it D class. All the other Economy fare designations MLHVBQTG are the restrictive but cheaper return fares in a descending order.

ZSSNC

RE: Single More Expensive Than Return Tickets. Why

Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:37 pm

Aloges,

while in Europe it might be generally true that all oneway-tickets cost the normal Y-fare (but then again, think of DI and all the others) it is certainly not true for other continents where even major carriers offer reduced oneway fares (e.g. KA7 in South Africa) and then again there are even countries where domestic fares are always oneway fares and no roundtrip fares are offered at all.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

swissgabe

Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:28 pm

Well, most airlines charge on their grey-market fares around 70% or the return fare.

For me the reason is very simple. I mean if you find 100 people flying from A to B and return it is much easier then finding when you find 100 people flying from A to B only. So you have to find another 100 people flying from B to A only.

As per the IATA published fare, the ow fare is half of the return fare.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

UN_B732

Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:22 pm

My brother has flown Economy (K) in the US on Continental one-way, that's what he takes when he goes to Albany most of the time.
-UN
What now?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos