chrisnh

NW 38 BOS-AMS Incident

Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:10 pm

Top news on one of Boston's three major network stations tonight was of a NW DC-10 bound from Boston to Amsterdam that 'lost' an engine and had to dump fuel before landing back at Logan. What made it a 'top' story was that someone actually clicked a picture of the DC-10 belching smoke; video crews also captured the DC-10 on approach back to Logan (not sure how the TV crew had the info soon enough to shoot the footage). There were 255 people aboard; another plane (I suppose another DC-10) came in from DTW to continue the flight.

767ALLTHEWAY

RE: NW 38 BOS-AMS Incident

Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:11 pm

I was up in Peabody at the Northshore mall, I saw the aircraft, I knew it was in some sort of trouble, because it was dumping fuel, not sure if thats some other witnesses were confusing with somke, but it was extremley low, and you could tell it was trying to get more altitude. Pretty scary moment there watching it..well im glad that all ended well.
- Best Regards,
7 6 7 A L L T H E W A Y
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:21 pm

I knew it was in some sort of trouble, because it was dumping fuel...

It’s worth noting that (in today’s post-Swiss MD-11 world) when an aircraft dumps fuel, it’s a good sign … if the aircraft were in very serious trouble, it’d land without dumping fuel. Also, the fact that an aircraft is dumping fuel doesn’t mean it’s in trouble – it may do so due to a medical diversion/etc.

clipper471
Crew

Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:27 pm

Was this engine failure on take-off?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos