luftaom

SAA New Colours On All A/c?

Fri Dec 10, 1999 10:29 am

Have South African Airlines repainted all their aircraft in the new coulours yet. I presumed they hadn't done a CX when it comes to repainting a fleet but I was reading somwhere that some had only just been repainted so I'm wondering if there are any still in the old livery.

If there are which ones are in the old livery?

Thanks for your help

Best Regards

Bradley Mortimer
Sydney, Australia

SAA747B

RE: SAA New Colours On All A/c?

Fri Dec 10, 1999 2:45 pm

Last time at JNB (about two months ago) I saw a two 732's and one A300 in old colours. This might have changed by now, however. I am dropping my sister at JNB on Thursday and will keep a look out for any old colours. BTW it's strange to see how really old the planes in old SAA colours look when compared to their repainted counterparts!

Fri Dec 10, 1999 2:47 pm

I saw a 742 at Perth coming back from Sydney a little over 2 weeks ago!

Fri Dec 10, 1999 6:56 pm

There was one 747 - it think it was 'Durban' - at LHR a few weeks ago still in the old colours.

Starship

Fri Dec 10, 1999 8:47 pm

As a South African, I should have a quick answer for you but I don't. Not all of SAA's fleet come to Cape Town, but I saw an A300
in old colours a few days ago and I think that there are still a few 737-200's in old colours and one or two 747 classics as well.
However, the entire fleet should be in new colours by March 2000. I live and work under the flight path of most aircraft coming in to Cape Town International and will pay more attention to the colour schemes. Personally I don't much like SAA's new paint.
It's........well .......too white!........ and the "SOUTH AFRICAN" script looks like it has been taken straight off the front page of a newspaper!
Behind every "no" is a "yes"