PSU.DTW.SCE
Topic Author

NW Aircraft Damage In Storms At MSP

Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:06 pm

Anyone up in MSP have any more info on what happened Tuesday night when the thunderstorms rolled through.

Apparrently 12 NW aircraft, 1 PCL CRJ, 4 Saab's, and 5 jetways were damaged by winds and debris.

XFSUgimpLB41X

RE: NW Aircraft Damage In Storms At MSP

Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:09 pm

On a random note.. anybody ever hear that fake MSP D-ATIS with the robot dude going "Notice to airmen, pieces of trailers and dead cows on all quadrents" and such?
Chicks dig winglets.

acidradio
Crew

Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:55 pm

That storm was really crappy. I wasn't at work that day but I drove up 77 next to the airport and Richfield (bordering the airport) was just pummeled. Trees down, power out everywhere, flash flooding. If there is weather, at the airport it is significantly magnified. Airplanes like wind, but not when they are asleep for the night.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

MxCtrlr

Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:49 pm

XFSUgimpLB41X,

anybody ever hear that fake MSP D-ATIS with the robot dude going "Notice to airmen, pieces of trailers and dead cows on all quadrents" and such?

As a matter of fact, we had a plane land at MSP shortly before that storm hit and were quite delayed getting out of MSP for TOL. We played that fake ATIS wav file for our Captain at MSP and he busted a gut laughing at it!

A side note here, at one point, MSP tower was reporting their wind meter was broken and, at another point, they were reporting a tornado touching down on the airfield.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool

DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

bigphilnyc

Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:48 pm

Regos of the damaged planes would be HELPFUL.

Regards

-Phil

Phil Derner Jr.

GroundStop

Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:14 am

I had a good feeling the weather was pretty awful up there. All three of our flights from MSP that arrive during my shift ran an average of 120 minutes behind schedule. Our 1905 arrival had to do a gate-return for fuel and didn't arrive until 2230. Many a misconnect got to spend the night in ATL last night.  Smile

JP

pilottim747

Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:06 pm

I was on the last UAL flight from ORD to MSP on Tuesday night. Got in at 10:40pm just before they announced that the airport was under a Thunderstorm warning. It was an interesting, and a bit bumpy, flight in over MSP to land in the thunderstorms. The UAL pilots did a great job flying, however, and I got to listen to it all on channel 9  Smile.

On the radio freq. I heard many Pinnacle and Mesaba regionals trying to depart quick before the storm came in but I was glad to be in my Boeing 737 instead of a Saab 340 for that storm. It was horrible driving home, too. Flooded roadways, pooring rain, and very strong winds.

pilottim747

Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.