HlywdCatft
Topic Author

Incident At DTW

Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:36 pm

I was talking to my mom up in Detroit this morning and she was telling me that she heard on one of the Detroit news stations that there was an incident what she believed was a Mesaba aircraft that was about to take off when the fire extinguishers went off in the cargo hold and they had to return to the gate.

She said that they were showing an overhead picture of the plane from a helicopter shot though and she said the plane had rear engines and a T tail.

I don't know of any Mesaba aircraft that look like that, so maybe the media meant to say Pinnacle or Northwest itself.

timf

RE: Incident At DTW

Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:14 am

It was a Pinnacle Air CRJ - flight 5877 from Burlington, VT. Reports of Mesaba must have been a mistake.

Capt.Fantastic

RE: Incident At DTW

Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:45 am

Here's the full story for ya ...  Smile

Smoke Scare Evacuates Metro Airport Plane
Investigators Determine Substance Was From Automatic Extinguisher

POSTED: 9:49 a.m. EDT June 27, 2003
UPDATED: 9:52 a.m. EDT June 27, 2003

A commuter flight was reportedly evacuated at Detroit Metropolitan Airport after the pilot reported smoke in the cargo-hold area.

The Pinnacle Air flight 5877, a Northwest Airlink commuter carrier, with 34 people on board was due to arrive from Burlington, Vt., at 7:55 a.m., according to airport officials. The airport reportedly received a call of smoke in the cargo-hold area and aircraft rescue and fire crews responded after the plane landed.

Fire trucks surrounded the plane, opened the cargo-hold area and saw what appeared to be smoke, Mike Conway of Detroit Metropolitan said. The plane was evacuated and passengers were put on a shuttle to the McNamara Terminal around 8:30 a.m.

Fire crews determined upon investigation that it was an automatic fire extinguisher that went off and the resin from the extinguisher is what was discovered.

The plane then taxied by itself to the gate, according to Conway.