airmale

Cyprus Airways Adding Sri Lanka

Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:42 am

I dont know if anyone else read the "Martinair adding Sri Lanka" thread where it was also discussed that CY are starting service to Colombo with an A320 via Dubai, service starts November this year, it will be their first Eastern Asian destination as they only fly upto the Middle East at present, flight schedule is at amadeus, nothing at CY's website though. Can anyone confirm this.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Airsnaps

.....up there with the best!

TKMCE

RE: Cyprus Airways Adding Sri Lanka

Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:19 pm

Cyprus Airways - to Colombo - via Dubai-

****Yawn****

Same old story

If this is true, watch out for resumption of another service to Colombo, inactive for somethime

Indian Airlines - Trivandrum Colombo
days of operation - to connect with Cyprus flights

Let us wait and see

Cheers

swissgabe

Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:35 pm

TKMCE
Why does IC want to connect CY flights? I mean it can't be a big deal to fly from Europe to CMB with two stops (or beyond CMB with 3 stops).
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

TKMCE

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:42 pm

Fifth Freedom my friend.
If CY is going ot have 5th freedom CMB DXB, then rest assured there are two airlines grinning! IC who will start their TRV CMB flightds again and CY who will fill up all thjeir CMB DXB seats with the pax interlining oin the CY documents with IC on TRV CMB. In othjer words there will be a lot of CY documents issued for TV CMB DXB.
This is notwithout precedent- Ever wondered why, the former LZ (Balkan) MLE DXB SOF flight used to go packed MLE EXB- Yeah you guessed it all the migtant labour from TRV . TRV-IC-MLE-LZ-DXB.

Got the hang of it?

Cheers!

swissgabe

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:55 pm

Well, OK already operates with 5th freedom on DXB-CMB and OS will be back soon. Why does IC wait till CY flies this route?

Don't forget that most SPAs produce low yield especially when CY has to offer bargain deals against the AI direct flight, QR via DOH, GF via AUH and EK/UL.

But you are right, I think CY doesn't look out for that many transit pax. I mean you really would have to offer cheap fares in the market to expect one to fly from Europe via LCA and DXB in a A320 to CMB.

TKMCE

Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:12 am

OS I thnk should get enough europe traffic to/from CMB. Just al ittle speculation from myside but based with facts (I know that TRV for eg was the only OZ agency representation in the whole of India when they had the 5th freedom from MLE plus long time back another ovscure airline - ZAS or something was similary filling up teir CMB - SHJ (or os it DXB) - CAI flight with interlining feed from IC. The Indian GUlf market is price snesitive to the etreme ,evebn 1 $ can make a difference.

Cheers

zizou

Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:12 am

Just saw this on http://www.dailynews.lk/2003/07/02/new23.html, titled

"Cyprus agrees to continue provision of employment opportunities to Sri Lanka ". This following part might interest a few...

The two countries also pledged to sign the Air Services Agreement within the next few months. The Minister of Communication and Works expressed the hope that the conclusion of this agreement will lead to an increase in tourist arrivals from Cyprus to Sri Lanka. Cyprus Airways is due to fly direct to Sri Lanka in the near future.

In his discussions with the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Labour and Social Insurance, Minister Fernando expressed Sri Lanka's interest in the expanding labour relations between the two countries, there being currently and estimated 15,000 Sri Lankan workers employed in Cyprus.

Never knew that there were that many Sri Lankans in Cyprus. I think TKMCE might have hit the nail on the head. If flights do eventuate, it might very have to do with migrant labour.

gardermoen

Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:52 pm

I was just looking at amadeus and these flights appear to no longer be there!
I wonder if it is just a glitch on my end, can anyone else see them?

airmale

Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:21 pm

I just checked Gardermoen and I'm not getting the direct service either, also Dubai has been downgraded to an A319.
.....up there with the best!

swissgabe

Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:27 pm

At Worldspan the flights are still loaded as discussed before. Most airlines only publish flights in the CRS when the schedule is less or more fixed. I mean schedule changes of a few hours are normal.