Capital146
Topic Author

LCC's......the Next Generation

Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:57 am

Seeing as those loveable Low Cost Carriers seem to add new routes and destinations at an almost unstoppable rate, which routes do you think would make the best additions for them next. Take into account current bases, regions under-served etc.

So where do you think AirTran, Jetblue, Ryanair, Easyjet etc, etc, could find their next pot of gold???
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

WMUPilot

RE: LCC's......the Next Generation

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:11 am

Rumors have TZ looking at PDX, OLA, MSY and a few others with the new fleet additions. Nothing concrete that i know of as of yet
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

elwood64151

Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:31 am

Look for B6 to start flying to TX (DFW, HOU/IAH, or SAT/AUS), from both coasts by the end of next spring. They may also add ORD/MDW in direct competition with UA and AA.

FL will begin flying to more small eastern-US cities within a year (KNX, BHM, LOU, that kind of city size), using mostly JetConnect and a few mainline flights. We will also see PHX and SLC w/in 18 months, and perhaps SEA w/in two years. BWI will be expanded to 2 or 3 new gates and at least six new cities w/in 18 months, most of them not competing with WN. W/in three years, see a western hub for more convenient east-west connections. Perhaps MCI, MSP, or MKE (especially if YX goes under).

F9 will not expand any further this year. Next year see them place BOS back on their map. Other destinations will be more difficult to determine.

WN will add a few more east-coast cities next year, but probably will not add any cities this year.

YX will declare bankruptcy and its assets will be sold. Its 717s will be taken by FL. Whether FL sets up a hub in MKE remains to be seen.

I don't know enought about NK or TZ to even hazard a guess. That is all that the previous statements have been: Educated guesses!
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

Flyer732

Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:48 pm

AirTran...SLC? No time soon.

PHX, SFO, SEA, SAT....yes.

jetconnect to BHM wouldn't last. Delta runs 757s full on the ATL-BHM flights.

GroundStop

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:08 am

"FL will begin flying to more small eastern-US cities within a year (KNX, BHM, LOU, that kind of city size), using mostly JetConnect and a few mainline flights"

I'm assuming by KNX you mean TYS...Knoxville? And last time I checked, there was no commercial service in to Louisville-Bowman Field. SDF would be the likely airport if we were to serve Louisville. I agree with Flyer, AirTran would not last 6 months in BHM.
JP

Danny

Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:17 am

In Europe definitely Poland will be a source of gold for low cost airlines. Currently the market is heavy protected but the skies will be opened soon as Poland joins EU.

WMUPilot

Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:30 pm

I've been told by a few sources that TZ is going to ramp up operations out of SFO and add more non-stop flights. You will be able to go to "places" with out 1st flying to MDW or IND.

gkirk

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:32 pm

Wouldnt surprise me if easyJet added more routes from NCL,EMA and BRS.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

DaV

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:15 pm

Probabily Ryanair will expand it's European hubs with domestic flights (Germany, Scandinavia, Italy) to increase competition with national airlines (Lufthansa, SAS, Alitalia) and other LCC (Germanwings/HLX and VolareWeb) as well adding some eastern-European cities to the destinations now served.

DaV

Two monologues do not make a dialogue

cedarjet

Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:52 am

Two predictions for European low-cost airlines.

One includes trans-Atlantic ops. No, not London to New York but Glasgow or Liverpool to Nova Scotia (there are very strong ties between northern England / Scotland and eastern Canada). These would be 4 hour flights, out late at night and back by dawn. The aircraft would otherwise be idle.

The other is eastwards. There is much to be done in Eastern Europe and the Med. Poland and the other new entrants to the EU won't know what hit them. Also, Lebanon is completely deregulated, anyone can fly there from anywhere, or even en route to somewhere else. So expect Athens-Beirut, Rome-Beirut etc.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

jjbiv

Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:43 am

There definitely is truth behind the rumors of TZ ramping up in SFO.

joe

mariner

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:00 am

Elwood64151:

You say that F9 will not expand any further this year.

I guess you mean that they won't expand after they have added MKE and SNA (August 31), as well as the two Mexican destinations, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos (asked for approval from DOT)?

That's four extra cities between now and the end of the year.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

srbmod

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:16 am

AirTran has been growing at a pretty quick clip as of late (a 25% rate). Once the first 737-700s get into the fleet, that's when the major expansion will start taking place. Since they are planning an adding a 737-700 every month from 6/04, they will ramp up flights to LAX and LAS first (I see these cities going 3X or 4X daily). Some of the 737s will be placed in markets such as ATL-IAD, ATL-MCO, ATL-LGA, pretty much routes where the flights on a 717 are going out full on a regular basis. AirTran will definitely add additional west coast cities, I see PDX, SEA, OAK or SFO, and SAN by the end of 2004. They will also start service to MEX and YYZ, and potentially several Caribbean destinations. A western hub will also be started by 2006 at the latest. AirTran will acquire Midwest's 717s either in a CH. 7 fire sale, or by buying out the airline in order to create a quick midwest hub @ MKE. Midwest's MD-80s will be traded in for 737s on a one-to-one basis. These are my thoughts on the future.

Mongu

Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:43 am

Cedarjet - I like the idea of link between Northern England and Nova Scotia. I agree that the market is there, or could be with a little marketing flair. I'd imagine that LPL or BFS would be the most probable departure points.

I'm not much of a techincal guy though - is that feasible in a B73G or A319?

timberwolf24

Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:25 am

So what routes are rumored to start out of SFO and when might this expantion take place?
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

WMUPilot

Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:10 am

I've heard that TZ will start to go after HP on some routes. SFO-LAS, SFO-PHX, SFO-LAX, SFO-DEN and routes of that nature to be flown by recently delivered 738's and 753's.