gr8slvrflt

Big AirTran Announcement....Really!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:08 am

I know we've heard this one before but this time it looks real. AirTran CEO Joe Leonard and President Bob Fornaro will make a "big announcement" at 10:00am, Tuesday, July 1st in the Atrium at Atlanta Hartsfield. Employees have been asked to attend in uniform.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

727LOVER

RE: Big AirTran Announcement....Really!

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:13 am

OOOOOOHHHHHHH big plane order? I'm tingling! I hope its a mixture of 737-700 and 800!
I feel woozy....what did you put in that Pudding Pop?

DIA

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:20 am

The 737NG order book may add up pretty fast with the ANA order, now possibly Airtran and probably JAL to follow. (If the news is about future a/c orders)
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

gr8slvrflt

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:23 am

Rumors: major Westward expansion, merger, aircraft order (319, 320, 321, 712, 713, 73G, 738, 739, 752), HQ move to Atlanta, a combination of the above.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

gr8slvrflt

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:25 am

It is now reported it will be the plane order announcement.

777guy

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:26 am

I hope it is Boeing but with Airbus history of unrealistic pricing in order to get sales I am afraid they will get it. Airtran will be smart and take the best deal.

gr8slvrflt

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:27 am

CNBC is reporting 100 737s.

gigneil

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:30 am

Unrealistic for Boeing does not mean its unrealistic.

N

777guy

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:33 am

brons2

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:34 am

If it's 737's, no wonder Boeing announced they would be ramping up production next year.

I just have a hard time seeing AirTran ordering Airbus with the current exchange rate and the current state of relations with the EU. I'm sure our government will pressure them to buy Boeing. But, I may be proved wrong, who knows.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

gr8slvrflt

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:35 am

Dow Jones Business News
Boeing Likely to Obtain 100-Plane Order From AirTran
Monday June 30, 5:22 pm ET
By J. Lynn Lunsford and Nicole Harris, Staff Reporters of The Wall Street Journal

DALLAS -- Boeing Co. (NYSE:BA - News) has emerged as the likely winner in a competition to snag a 100-airplane order from AirTran Airways .

According to people familiar with the deal, Boeing edged out rival Airbus to supply the rapidly growing low-cost carrier with 100 of its single-aisle Boeing 737s that the airline plans to use for longer-haul routes.

The deal is worth about $6 billion at list prices. It includes 50 firm orders for 737-700s and 737-800s, as well as options for another 50 more.

Spokesmen for the airline and the manufacturers declined to comment on the pending decision. AirTran spokesman Tad Hutcheson said the carrier's board of directors was meeting to finalize the decision Monday night in preparation for a Tuesday announcement in Atlanta.

The order is expected to be one of the biggest of the year and was considered by both Boeing and Airbus to be a "must-win."

For Boeing, it meant retaining its position as the sole supplier for AirTran. Airbus, on the other hand, was hoping to make serious inroads into another low- cost carrier in the U.S. So far, JetBlue Airways Corp. (NasdaqNM:JBLU - News) is the only low- cost carrier in the U.S. to fly a fleet of Airbus A320s; the rest rely on the Southwest Airlines Co. (NYSE:LUV - News) model of operating Boeing's workhorse 737s.

Mr. Hutcheson said AirTran planned to add longer-haul planes to its fleet in order to compete more effectively against other carriers. "We need to be able to fly anywhere we want to go ... we need the flexibility of the range and we need additional capacity," he added.

For AirTran, the new jets will further the discount carrier's growth strategy, helping it to compete vigorously with rivals Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE:DAL - News) and other low-fare carriers such as Southwest Airlines.

AirTran needs the bigger jets to operate longer-haul routes such as coast-to- coast flying. The carrier recently launched service from its Atlanta hub to West Coast cities such as Denver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. But the carrier's Boeing 717s, with about 117 seats, can't fly such long routes. AirTran, is currently leasing two Airbus 320 jets from Wichita, Kansas-based Ryan International Airlines to operate flights between Los Angeles and Atlanta.

AirTran is one of the few U.S. carriers making money. The airline is benefiting from its lower costs as well as consumers eager to purchase cheaper plane tickets amid a slow economy.

The company posted first-quarter net income of $2 million, or three cents a share, compared with a year-earlier net loss of $3 million, or four cents a share. Revenue jumped 31% to $208 million from $159.3 million.

-By J. Lynn Lunsford and Nicole Harris; The Wall Street Journal; 214-951-7113

JAL777

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:38 am

Wow... 145 (95 Frim + 50 Options) 737's in 2 days.

Congratulations to both Boeing and Airtran.

Soon, there will be no Airbuses registed in the USA. Oh, oops! Nevermind. Big grin Big grin  Laugh out loud

[Edited 2003-06-30 23:46:17]

brons2

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:42 am

JAL777,

I think it's "only" 50 firm orders.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

JAL

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:43 am

I hope that it's Boeing!!!!!!!
Work Hard But Play Harder

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:52 am

This is really great news. Although I have heard from Flight Attendants and other employees that they were hoping for Airbuses, I don't mind Boeings. I can't wait to fly on the 73G and 738 with AirTran.
Puhdiddle

STT757

Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:58 am

"I think it's "only" 50 firm orders"

50 firm, 50 options. Plus the 45 firm from ANA, BOEING!
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

srbmod

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:03 am

I guess I may have to sneak over to the atrium to hear the official announcement. Airbus is having their bubble Airbusted. With the AirTran order being a "must win" for both Airbus and Boeing, Boeing saves a little face after the lack of major orders @ Paris.

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:15 am

Congratulations to both AirTran and Boeing on this order, if it's for real (and I'm assuming it is). It'll be great to see those 73Gs and 738s into ATL.

By the way Gr8slvrflt...awesome title for the post!  Big grin
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

jcs17

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:17 am

Damn, I thought AirTran was going to announce that they were going to serve a new flavor of Coke.  Sad
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:31 am

Uh... JCS17, Why would they take up the Atrium just to do that.
Puhdiddle

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:31 am

I wish AirTran all the best. Out of all the LCCs, I think AirTran offers the best product (better than jetBlue and Southwest certainly).

AApilot2b

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:35 am

No, actually, they are just changing the brand of peanuts.

UN_B732

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:38 am

I should buy some Boeing Stock right now...That's what I will do.
-UN
What now?

PHXinterrupted

Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:41 am

Congrats to AirTran and Boeing!
Keepin' it real.

syncmaster

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:01 am

Good job for Boeing! It's about damn time. Now all we need are some 757 and 717 orders and life will be great. Big grin

If it's true, nice choice AirTran!

Flyer732

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:06 am

They're going to announce that I'm going to be the new CEO.  Smile

I vote for -700s and SFO, PHX, SEA.

luv2fly

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:08 am

At one time this was one of if not the biggest loser in my portfolio! Now it is the highest stock, over the amount I paid for it! In hindsight I might have bought more when it was so down tho everyone was and with the War, SARS and economy I had no idea it would come back this GRAND! Go AirTran!
You can cut the irony with a knife

scottysair

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:12 am

Hey Flyer732,

Are you really get the vote on B737-700 aircraft their nonstop from ATL-PHX, SFO, SEA. This willing use on the longer-haul nonstop out of ATL hub, right? I still hope will announcement orders B737NG aircraft. Well, talk ya later!  Smile

Regards!

Scott W.

Noise

Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:34 am

YES! Congrats to Boeing and AirTran. I am very happy for both of them. So where do you guys see AirTran going now? The west is obviously where they are going to go next, but anyone think they will expand towards Mexico? The Carribean? Canada?

atcboy73

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:05 am

WINGLETS!!!

WINGLETS!!!

WINGLETS!!!

PLEASE GET THE WINGLETS!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

AvObserver

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:27 am

Gigneil
"Unrealistic for Boeing does not mean its unrealistic."

Neil, a lot of us here think believe Airbus is receiving indirect subsidies via EADS military sales the same way Boeing is, except that they also get government loans as well. This may well come out in a future dispute with the E.U. but many of us think it's a factor in Airbus' ability to discount well below that of Boeing, which to many of us, constitutes unrealistic. I can't but notice your penchant to continually defend this and being that you're in the U.S, I find that unrealistic, given that Boeing's success helps our economy more than Airbus. You might admire the Airbus line more but if Boeing wins, it helps you more than if Airbus does. You may not care about that (and I reckon you probably don't) but I do and I find that attitute a tad unpatriotic. I expect that from the Europeans and other non-Americans but not from a fellow citizen. If this retort irritates you, well, it's merely a response to a body of your posts that a number of us here find irritating because it usually appears invariably sympathetic to the European angle. Don't consider this a flame, however and feel free to explain your position, something I'm looking forward to. Good day.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:48 am

Ryan, If you become the CEO tomorrow, I got a list of things you can do.

Even though Beau Rivage pays for AirTran's service in here, I want...

1. 5 daily flights to and from ATL ranging from 5:30 AM to 10:00 PM
2. 2 daily flights to and from SAT
3. 1 daily flight to and from PDX. (Always loved the trees).
4. 4 daily flights to and from MCO
and last but not least

5. Unlimited flights for the rest of my life.  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

JK LOL

Merry Christmas, I have been a good kid this year.

Puhdiddle

gigneil

Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:55 am

Eh, no. It doesn't irritate me... I'm an adult, as you appear to be.

And really, I don't admire Airbus the company more than I admire Boeing the company... quite the opposite, in fact - Boeing has an impressive history that amazes me, which Airbus completely lacks.

In terms of patriotism. I have a strange and multifaceted approach. I love being an American, and having traveled extensively I haven't found anywhere I'd rather live... I acknowledge the benefits of our system of government and how it affects me daily, and personally, I prefer it. I honor our rich history, and I respect our leaders, and I celebrate the unique diversity we've managed to engender here.

That also being said, I think that the patriotism of the average American (average. I am not targeting anyone here and nobody should take it as such) is possibly the absolute worst thing this country has going for it. Its blind, and it engenders an almost xenophobic zealousness in the majority of the population that turns my stomach. The undeserved disdain that many if not most Americans hold the rest of the world's population in is, not to put to childish a point on it, retarded. Bigoted even. Baseless. I want no part of that.

From a more quantifiable perspective, an enhanced multilateral foreign and economic policy is the only path to a healthy national economy. The global economy is intrinsically intertwined - the better the rest of the world does, and the more we participate in global efforts, and in global policies - the better off we'll be. Not just we Americans, but we everybody. My brief bullet point on this is easily supported by the research and publishings of just about every think tank the world round.

Boeing is increasingly offloading complex tasks to other countries... even as Airbus is increasingly bringing work to the United States. That mitigates the value to me as an American of each dollar of revenue Boeing posts.

But importantly, given the propensity by both to outsource to other countries, Airbus distributes its high-dollar-value contracts to many more countries than Boeing does, and that makes them, as a whole, increasingly important to the economic health of the world, which, honestly, is as important to me as the economic health of the United States.

In terms of my defense of Airbus... eh, its really nothing more than the fact that I get irritated with nonsense arguments, and I want to present an alternative view of situations so that people actually think them through. Boeing has far more supporters on this website than Airbus does, and, of those supporters, the Boeing ones are far more vocal, and, with notable exceptions, are far less informed.

I'm sure many are quite ready to lynch me as unAmerican... which really, would do little but prove my point. This is a big world, and we all live on it. I love America, and being an American, and if given a choice do you think I wouldn't fly that triple 7 every time? I would just rather not live in a bubble.

Regards

N

atcboy73

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:00 am

Anyone else want winglets as much as I?

(see previous post to find out how bad I want them)

AvObserver

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:24 am

Thank you, Neil, for your more than gracious and succinct response to my query. It does appear in fact that I misjudged the focus of your posts. I too do not advocate 'blind' patriotism; for example, I regard the initiative into Iraq as, at best, exceedingly premature and at worst, unjustified. I think I do see now what you're trying to do with your provolkative responses although I'm not sure how you can reliably assess that, on balance, the Airbus supporters are better informed that the Boeing ones. I, myself, am not the most informed, I can only draw on my subscriptions and other publications; I'm not an industry insider, as are some here. I hope you've noted I'm not above being critical of Boeing when I feel some of their own actions have contributed to their recent downfall. As for xenophobia, I don't necessarily see this in the bulk of anti-Airbus posts, though I admit it's a significant factor in many. I have seen some as well, in non-U.S. posters though, thankfully, dedicated anti-U.S. rabblerousers like the apparently departed Hkgspotter1 seem to be fewer, lately. I hope I haven't come off that way in merely wishing well for the U.S. economy (and yes, I realize that Airbus benefits a portion of it-I was merely arguing that for now, Boeing's success benefits it more). You have been a true gentleman in responding, I was afraid, despite my gentile approach, I might provolk an angry response, certainly not my intention. Cheers!  Big thumbs up

UAL-Fan

THANK GOD They've come to their senses!!!!!

Now please come to San Diego, just 2 non-stops to Atlanta a day that's all I ask. I am so sick of Delta's nickel and diming me to death.

No more same day free standby, 50 lb. limit on luggage....ENFORCED!, only half of your miles earned go towards elite status, etc. etc. etc.

I would love to see some other options here in S.D. to get me over to Atlanta.

Flyer732

I'd like to see winglets as well. If they don't mention them tomorrow, I'll try to dig out some info when I go back to work on Thursday.

kjet12

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:32 am

It's great to see a US carrier order a US airliner. Good job FL and Boeing!!

Kris
AA - Doing what we do best.

Korg747

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:38 am

Great for boeing and great for airtran. the airtran colors would look fantasitc with the 737-700/800 winglets!
Please excuse my English!

dynkrisolo

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:51 am

Gigneil wrote:

Boeing has far more supporters on this website than Airbus does, and, of those supporters, the Boeing ones are far more vocal, and, with notable exceptions, are far less informed.

Neil, I am going to let you get away with this generalization. While I agree with you many people who regularly defend Boeing in this forum are not necessarily well informed, don't tell me those who regularly defend Airbus in this forum are well informed. Most of them just regurgitate standard Airbus and European propaganda. When people read what they want to read, it is not a sign of being well informed.

The 1992 GATT agreement was meant to give a new comer a chance to compete with the big boys in a meaningful way. Now the new comer is obviously competitive as they have captured more than 50% of the market. It's time to get off subsidies. Airbus and Europe conveniently left out Airbus's parent companies' involvements in government contracts means they have no intention to get off subsidies.

As you say, we live in a global economy. For this exact reason, we shouldn't tolerate trade policies that will skew the competition. If you take out engines and avionics, which are US-dominant industries and they seldom are risk-sharing partners with Airbus or Boeing, your statement that Airbus having outsourced more globally is simply untrue. Airbus practically has no significant risk-sharing partners outside Europe. Japanese firms owns more than 20% of the 777 program. Airbus is a pan-European operation, but it is definitely not more global than Boeing. Nearly all of the Asian companies that are working with Airbus now established their aviation expertise with one of the American companies like Boeing.

yyz717

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:56 am

Reuters is reporting 50+50 737NG's and 14 717's:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030630/airlines_airtran_boeing_2.html

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

N79969

Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:58 am

This is a relief. Always happy to hear about more Boeing sales. So far Boeing is doing pretty well in the low-cost market. They have only lost on Easy Jet and JetBlue. (And arguably Frontier)

gigneil

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:13 am

I hope I don't offend too many people. I enjoy the vigorous debate, and I'm certainly not always right.

On to the topic of winglets for Airtran's order...

I was driving over the Roosevelt Bridge on I-66 the other day on my way to work, and saw an ATA 738 on the river visual to DCA, and I thought DC was being invaded by aliens.  Laugh out loud Those blended winglets certainly give the 737 an extremely unique look.

That aside, given that Southwest certainly seems to think its a good idea, I can see it working out for Airtran as well... but I can't get my brain around the logic.

The winglets do improve takeoff and climb performance for short and/or hot/hi airfields. They also improve fuel burn on longer stage lengths. If Airtran (and additionally Southwest) can schedule their fleet for mostly if not only transcon flights or flights to weight-restricted airfields due to short runway length, then that sounds great.

Is it possible to effectively schedule such a large fleet in that manner, keeping in with the low-cost rules of high fleet utilization?

N

Bruce

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:22 am

Well now with a big plane order what is more interesting is to see where they will use those planes. What new cities come online...... you might see Citrus in places you never thought you'd see them!!

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

United777

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:24 am

Here is a report from a Seattle media station.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/25754.htm

This a good week for the 737 program. First the ANA order and now Air Tran!

FLAIRPORT

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:29 am

will they move to ATL. there is a good deal on office space near my house?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

FLAIRPORT

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:29 am

can anyone go to see the announcment
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:31 am

there is a good deal on office space near my house

Too funny!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

717fan

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:34 am

What a great day! And so many people thougt that Boeing has lost this year against Airbus....
Would be really nice if they add the 717 to the order list.

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:45 am

If they start flying to SAT....

I'm there dude.

Puhdiddle