N766UA
Topic Author

Is American Ridding Of Black-nosed MD-80s?

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:13 am

I noticed that more and more AA Mad Dogs are showing up without the signature black dot on the nose. They aren't even ex-TWA planes. Here's an example:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Joe Statz

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Martin

Same plane, new nose. Is this an American thing or was it maybe just a replacement radome?
This Website Censors Me

SESGDL

RE: Is American Ridding Of Black-nosed MD-80s?

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:25 am

It seems to me they are. In STL I saw at least 6 original AA MD-80's with white noses.

Jeremy

cptkrell

RE: Is American Ridding Of Black-nosed MD-80s?

Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:46 am

With the advent of radar, the protective black nose cone coating not only served to lessen damage (from ice/hail, birdstrikes, etc) but was of a compound that that did not interefere with radar ops as other coatings (read: paint) would. The black "radar nose" stood as a status symbol and some airlines even advertised "radar equipped" with a photo of the black nose of their particular aircraft featured prominently in ads, timetable covers, etc.

With newer protective compounds and "decal" technology eliminating most (all?) of the above worries, plus "radar equipped" is a given now, I think you'll see more carriers retiring the black nose, IE: going to a more analogous grey, or even carry their livery color(s) through the nose cone.

Second paragraph above is only my opinion; I could be 180 deg. off-base, here. Regards...Jack
all best; jack