WMUPilot
Topic Author

Emergency Landing At MDW

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:04 am

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/070203_ns_emergencylanding.html

i'll see if i can get more info from the guys at MDW. Same thing happened last summer but here in GRR.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

CcrlR

RE: Emergency Landing At MDW

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:06 am

"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Continental

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:46 am

Man, those C8 aircraft are so common at MDW, I wonder why they don't get more emergencies in the first place! Just kidding, I bet the mechanics over there are great!

co

WMUPilot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:48 am

Top notch. Only 2 emergancy landings in 2 year. They are a good group of guys

flyinryan99

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:30 am

Brian were you including the one that was declared just a month ago on the TOL - MDW flight that had low oil pressure and diverted to SBN? If not...that's a third one ;o) Does anyone know what A/C this was?

Ry

jjbiv

Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:23 am

As I understand it, the only out-and-out failure was on a MDW-SBN flight in 2001. The other (mentioned) incidents were precautionary (if required) shutdowns due to mechanical abnormalities.

C8 Mx is awesome. Safety truly comes first, regardless of cost. The Saabs are built like tanks if you compare the unrelentingly hard use they see and relatively rare failures.

I guess today's incident explains the nearly 40 minute taxi time for our morning arrival from MDW.

Above all, I'm glad everyone is safe and the aircraft escaped relatively unscathed -- thus preserving ATA's excellent 30 year safety record.

joe

WMUPilot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:15 am

I heard the radio call about the one with low oil pressure but i didn't know an emergency was declaired. The other one I was refering to was the Prop Actuator failure on a flight from MDW - GRR while on final approach. I didn't know that any other emergency's were declaired only precautionary diversions.

CcrlR

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:24 am

That's pretty neat they have a good safety record. Once I saw one of them working on a plane outside and wondered about their safety record.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

CactusA319

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:25 am

I remember hearing something once about a C8 flight that lost its pax door over Lake Michigan but ended up landing safely. This was back when they were operating J31's and probably before any of you guys started working there. Haven't been able to verify if the incident was true or not.

WMUPilot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:46 am

Oh the door! That was the luggage compartment door where the carry-ons were stored!The pod that is on the underside of the aircraft. That is true. If you ever need some luggage i'll give you the dive spot where some can be located!  Laugh out loud

WMUPilot
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:50 am

That aircraft was also on its way to GRR. One of the agents that worked in GRR at the time was working and i remember talking to him about the accident and the passengers response.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos