Samurai 777
Topic Author

Do 737NG Winglets Help Hot & High Performance?

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:54 am

Here's a question that has me wondering if this is true: do winglets on 737NGs help at all in improving performance and saving fuel in hot and high conditions?

There's a reason for this question - for example, Qantas, Virgin Blue, Kenya Airways, Aeromexico, Southwest Airlines, SAA, and Turkish Airlines have ordered 737NGs with winglets or are planning to have them fitted with winglets. What these airlines have in common is that they are based out of countries that have brutally hot summer weather and/or high-altitude regions. Of course, hot and high conditons are a hindrance to engine performance, particularly during takeoff. Air tends to get less dense during hot weather and in high altitude regions, and that means engines have to consume more fuel for takeoff.

Winglets are normally supposed to improve a 737NG's range and even lower noise levels a bit. I have the impression that they seem to reduce the amount of power that engines require upon takeoff and in flight, which would also definitely save on fuel and probably mechanical stress, too.

XXXX10

RE: Do 737NG Winglets Help Hot & High Performance?

Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:59 am

I am no expert but I think they reduce drag to help fuel consumption,

although this probably has no effect on take off performance it probably helps in-directly by reducing the amount of fuel needed for a particular sector thus reducing the take-off weight.

please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

SailorOrion

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:26 am

Normally winglets can improve hot & high performance a little. If only by reducing drag thus increasing L/D ratio and improving the initial climb capability.

SailorOrion

IndianGuy

Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:44 am

Why on earth does WN need winglets? I seriopusly doubt that! The average stage for their flights should not be more than 50 min to 1.2 hours. Winglets will help only on a couple of their flights.

Given that, I seriously doubt that WN would go in for winglets, unless they go in for a couple of dedicated aircraft. However that would be compromising operational flexibility.

-Roy

JBirdAV8r

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:00 pm

Roy,

WN has enough longhaul flights (and they really do have quite a few) to justify the costs.

Basically, winglets help greatly reduce wingtip vortices, so yes in a nutshell they improve aircraft performance all the way around, although I'm not sure how noticeable it will be in this situation.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

OPNLguy

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:01 pm

>>>Why on earth does WN need winglets?

As far as runway performance goes, every runway end at MDW is obstacle-limited, and the winglet-equipped aircraft should help. (SWA has already announced that all 737-700s will get winglets).
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

STT757

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:36 pm

WN has already ordered Winglets for their fleet, aircraft already delivered will be retrofitted and new aircraft will be delivered with the Winglets.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

STT757

Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:48 pm

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos