SInGAPORE_AIR

Unruly Passenger On SQ To BNE Dumped In Darwin

Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:28 pm

Named and shamed Michael Edward Donovan was dumped by Singapore Airlines in Darwin, Australia for unruly behaviour on SQ235.

He was having an argument with his girlfriend, "involving a lot of profanity", and then when Singapore Airlines flight attendents did not serve him alcoholic beverages, he became more unruly.

A Darwin court was told that Donovan told twice a flight attendant, "Do you want to take me on?"

SQ0235 has 298 passengers (92% load factor) and 14 crew on board. It landed in BNE two and a half hours late at 0900.

Singapore Airlines spokesman Stephen Forshaw said that the airline had incurred approximately A$25 000 / US$17012.50

"In this case, the captain has made an assessment that this man's behaviour warranted the aircraft making an unscheduled landing into Darwin so he could be dealt with by authorities. There is no room for tolerance of unruly behaviour on aircraft. Singapore Airlines and its crew will now cooperate fully with the authorities to ensure they have sufficient information to bring the matter before the courts expeditiously."

"These decisions are not taken lightly; they are expensive, but more importantly, they represent a serious inconvenience to other customers. But the captain's primary focus was the safety and welfare of his passengers and crew, and his decision was necessary for that reason."

Singapore Airlines Pte Limited apologises for any inconvenience caused to customers.

"There were no complaints from passengers about the decision to put down in Darwin and get rid of this guy. In fact, when he was led off the aircraft by police, the police were cheered."

More information at the Reuters / Yahoo website, the Ninemsn Australia website and the Sydney Morning Hearld website

Information was gathered from the above hyperlinked webpages. Full information can be viewed by clicking the above hyperlinked webpages. Information was rephrased and not copied and pasted. Currency conversion from Australian Dollars to U.S. Dollars courtesy of the Singaporeair.com Currency Converter

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

QANTASforever

RE: Unruly Passenger On SQ To BNE Dumped In Darwin

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:02 pm

What an absolute disgrace. I'm glad about the action that SQ took against this idiot - at a severe cost to themselves. Hopefully this sends a message to people that you don't leave your manners at the terminal.

Still - I'm very ashamed this involved an Australian. My apologies on behalf of the Commonwealth to the Republic of Singapore. I hope this doesn't happen again.

QANTASFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

jhooper

Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:15 pm

Why dump him off and inconvenience the other customers? Why not just gag 'em and bag 'em?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

SQ772

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:07 pm

It was an expensive decision to divert to Darwin, but I am sure the situation in the cabin must have been really tense and the Captain had weighed the costs and consequences before dumping him.

What happened to those self defence classes that those Singapore Girls went for??  Big grin
There's always a better way to fly...

danialanwar

Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:57 pm

The guy can be glad that they landed ... there's a lot of outback around Darwin and he might have been parachuted out quite far away from it
Best Business Class: Royal Brunei. Best Economy: Singapore Airlines. First: please send money first!

zizou

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:24 am

I saw him on the local news. Looks like a complete Yobo... doesn't suprise me he got kicked of.

UN_B732

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:29 am

His girlfriend got jealous, cause she thought he was hitting on the SQ Girls.
I think the opinion is unanimous anyway, SQ Girls make good wives.
:P just kidding...I bet the guy was heavily intoxicated, but keeping the plane in the air might have been the best thing to do.
-UN
What now?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:45 am

"He had drunk two beers before the flight and had two beers and two Cointreau liqueurs on the flight.

He became abusive to the crew and said: "Just give me a f...... beer."

When a flight attendant told him: "Sorry sir, we can't serve you any more beer", Donovan said: "Do you want to take me on?" "He continued shouting and swearing, which caused the captain to divert to Darwin," Mr Hassall said."

From the Sunday Mail Australia

ANA777Master

Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:34 am

He was dumped at Darwin with the hopes that he would evolve!

BA DC-10

Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:40 am

Maybe im being stupid, but wouldnt it have been easier just to handcuff him to a seat and if necessary restrain him further, and continue flying to BNE...sounds like a lot of fuss over some pissed up bloke having a domestic with his girlfriend....

jhooper

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:08 am

Yea, why didn't they just cuff him up?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:14 am

I dunno.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos