MSYtristar
Topic Author

Frontier Fall Schedule Highlights (Lowlights)

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:38 am

Just a few tidbits from F9's dissapointing Fall schedule:

AUS - Loses 1 CRJ flight (total of 2 daily)
TPA - Loses 1 319 flight (total of 1 daily)
SLC - down to 4 flights a day

And the one that's most troubling to me....MSY will NOT get back the 2nd flight which we were told we would, and we are getting downgraded to a 318. Not really too smart when you consider we are averaging about 126 pax per flight with our current A319 flight....and it's usually oversold at least 3times per week. Whatever. I can't understand airline rationale anymore. All I know is that I'll now have to probably move somewhere to get full-time as of August.

tekelberry

RE: Frontier Fall Schedule Highlights (Lowlights)

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:40 am

One of the highlights-

MKE service commences

DIA

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:49 am

In terms of getting "downgraded" to an A318, why I'd see that as an upgrade to bragging rights! Okay, just kidding. It is confusing, if your numbers are correct, why F9 would do this. They are still growing and learning I guess.

Other good news to add onto Tekelberry's post: Don't forget about new Orange County service too!
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

mariner

Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:06 am

I think you have to assume that F9 has some idea of what forward bookings look like.

The CEO of CAL has said that for Continental, September is "a cliff" - implying that while summer traffic may be up, Fall isn't looking good.

So it may be that the forward bookings for the cities mentioned justify the reduction in the service.

And another flight can always be added if things perk up.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:30 am

The thing that gets me about the 1 New Orleans flight is this....

This flight is currently profitable for F9. High loads and yields on this route. There is sufficient demand for two flights per day. The 2nd flight was not cancelled due to poor loads, it was cancelled becuase of gate issues here. Thus, we were told that a 2nd flight would be added as of September/October, but it wouldn't be an overnight flight, it would be an early evening turn. The flight operating now has not left with less than 100 passengers since late April. Summer is the slow season for New Orleans, yet the A319 goes out near capacity (usually around 118 seats on a slower day to oversold by up to 7 on a busy day) with both passengers and mail on an almost daily basis, outbound and inbound. Late September, the conventions and vacationers come back in droves. But for some reason, we will be getting an aircraft with 18 less seats...in one of our peak travel seasons! Forget about anyone trying to nonrev into MSY on F9 until at we get a second flight. That A318 flight will be oversold probably 5 days out of each week most likely. All I can say is that United will be licking its chops at this. It would not surprise me to see them go all-A320 on the DEN-MSY route in September, and a 757 is not unlikely.

Steve

mariner

Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:01 am

Steve, I understand your frustration, and I'm not sure what to say.

I do know that there is a shortage of aircraft for a while there in the fall - they're even talking of extending some of the 733 leases to help with that.

There's also the massive problem of gate space in DEN. They're struggling for gates now, and by September they will have literally run out of gate space.

I also know that they and DIA are working to try and resolve the matter, but it hasn't happened yet and may have something to do with the MSY situation.

As a (small) shareholder in Frontier, obviously I'm pleased with the news about the loads from MSY, but not happy that we could be missing out on more.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:40 am

Mariner,

The gate situation in DEN is probably playing havoc on the fall schedules overall. Looks like many western cities are down to 4 daily flights. It's just tough for me to see us doing so well in MSY and not capitalize on it...I sure as hell don't want to see United get even MORE market share on the route. The flight crews ask me all the time "why just one flight into new orleans? that makes no sense." I can not give them a straight answer, especially since I know for a fact that we are making money here.

It's just dissapointing to me personally, but I have witnessed a lot of dissapointing things during my 2 year tenure in the industry thus far, and I'm sure I'll witness a lot more down the road.

Steve in N.O

mariner

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:02 am

The gate issue at DEN has to come to a head soon. This article from Rocky Mountain News today puts it all in a nutshell.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/business/article/0,1299,DRMN_4_2084575,00.html

In the meantime, hang in there. I, for one, really appreciate your attitude.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:22 am

Thanks for the words of encouragement mariner.  Smile Hope you and yours have a very happy 4th of July.

Steve

LGA777

Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:32 am

LGA just changed a few days ago from two 319's to a 319 (morning departure) and a 733 (afternoon departure). With the summer heat
and short runways this doesn't sound like a great move on F9's part.

mariner

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:11 am

F9 has been flying to LGA for about five years with 733's, and they did fine.

The A319's only started to come into the fleet two summers ago.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MSYtristar
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:37 am

LGA will see one A318 flight as of September 1st (replacing the 733).

vafi88

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:16 pm

Come to Denver! We got tons of frontier, eat your heart out!

Always welcome down here.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos