mas a330

Which Route To LIM?

Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:58 pm

I am taking a trip to Lima, Peru from Kuala Lumpur at the end of the year. I have narrowed down two routing options:

The first is MH/KL on KUL-AMS-LIM-AMS-KUL
The second is MH/LA KUL-LAX-LIM-LAX-KUL

Which of this routes is better? How much are the differences in the fare? Should I fly Business or Economy? What are the fares like? Loads? Connections? Service? Pros? Cons?

I hope you guys can help me out. Thanks a bunch

lanperu

RE: Which Route To LIM?

Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:26 pm

Ahhh cool! You are going to IM), Peru">LIM, I will be leaving JUL 12 Sat. I would say go on MH/LA it's the best choice you can make. Now as far as loads go, on LAX-IM), Peru">LIM loads are aroun 85-90% I would say. If you look of some of the flights for the next few days you will see what I mean. Economy on LAN Chile should be excellent, I will confirm that on my next trip report. Service on LAN Chile is ecellent, all the crew are young beautiful Chilean girls with an accent that is awsome! They are very well trained, not just the airhead ones. Now, if you want, I can get you a ticket from LAX-IM), Peru">LIM for about 520 in Economy, maybe even less ( I have had family get tickets for 480 r/t) Now for pros and cons....the pros is that you will be on a new Airbus A340 with the latest AVOD and VOD, nice legroom, good food, free wine etc. now the Cons. The flights leave LAX at 1215 in the winter and arrive into IM), Peru">LIM (Summer!) at 1240+1 I believe, so you are travelling for a day. Now here is the thing, I am not sure what time MH gets into LAX, it would have to be before 10am or you will be cutting your check-in time WAAAY short.

I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. You can IM me at CLos340 on AOL or aca_usa@hotmail.com on MSN. Hope to hear from you soon!

mas a330

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:04 pm

Hi LanPeru. Thanks for the info.

MH arrives in LAX at about 12.40 or 18.25 (depends on the day). That means i would have to overnight in LAX. Is there a hotel in the airport itself or do i have to exit? Another question is do I need visa if I just transfer in LAX? (Assuming i don't leave the airport). If I do, how much?

lanperu

Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:07 pm

Yes you would need a hotel, and no there aren't hotels in the airport itself. I don't think that you would need a visa to be at LAX since you are just "in-transit". But with the hotel issue you may need something, I am not sure so check on the US embassy's site (unless you fly business and stay in the lounge for the whole night). Hope that helps.

richardw

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:00 am

Isn't there a SYD-Santiago de Chile flight on Qantas or Lan Chile? That would avoid LAX

Sabena332

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:03 am

Isn't there a SYD-Santiago de Chile flight on Qantas or Lan Chile? That would avoid LAX

I think there is a LA flight from SYD to SCL via AKL but I am not sure.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ussherd

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:51 am

Personally, I'd prefer to travel via AMS, avoiding the need for a visa in transit. You'd also wouldn't have to collect your luggage while in transit as you'd have to do in the USA. The trip may actually be shorter than traveling through LAX.
Cada loco con su tema...

richardw

Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:14 am

AMS-LIM on KL via Bonaire is on an MD 11!

It is surely more logical to do KUL-SYD-SCL-LIM?

richardw

Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:32 am

but only if you can make good connections!

Lan_Fanatic

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:29 am

There are 3 LanChile weekly flights from SYD to SCL via AKL in A340-300

sllevin

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:45 am

You need to check on the visa issue. Since you will be leaving the airport, I do NOT believe you will fall into the allowable I-94T realm. You could find yourself having to stay in the terminal overnight, and I'm not clear there's much there -- you have to remember that because the US tends to see limited amounts of transit passengers, we don't (sadly) have a clean transit policy/procedure like many other countries.

Secondly, I'd go with what gives you the best connections. Unless you want to specifically break your trip at LAX and see a bit (Disneyland?), I certainly wouldn't waste overnighting in LAX just to fly LA.

Steve

s.p.a.s.

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:31 pm

why not make it via JNB/EZE?
"ad astra per aspera"

RicardoMexico

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:39 pm

If you are a passenger in transit you will not need a visa, but it means that as soon as you leave the plane, you will be taken to a special area in the airport for passengers in transit. I have never been a passenger in transit by I have some friends who were, and they hate it! you can not go anywhere, so avoid this option if you are claustrofobic.
You will need a visa if you pretend to stay overnight in LAX in a hotel.
A member of SkyTeam!

mas a330

Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:12 pm

wow, thanks for the many suggestions and info.

Regarding AMS, I have to overnight on the return leg (on the MH codeshare) and also i cant earn as much FFP (I have Enrich).

I got a good deal on the LAX route, but the only thing that bothers me about the LAX route is the US Visa Policy.

S.p.a.s. - This has come to mind, however the EZE-LIM flight is the problem. Its very highly priced. For the same price, I might as well fly via AMS on Business or fly RTW.

Richardw and others - how costly would it be to fly KUL-SYD-SCL-LIM? This route does seem rather interesting.

Ricardomexico - That sounds bad, especially since my transit time would be about 20 hours.

mas a330

Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:41 pm

What is the fare from KUL-EZE?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos