Capt.Fantastic
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines Passenger Arrested For Fireworks

Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:54 am

I don't believe this topic has already been posted, but if it has, I apologize

An Alaska Airlines flight enroute from SEA to MCO made an emergency landing yesterday after a boy noticed fireworks in the baggage of another passenger. The boy reported his finding to the flight attendant; The passenger was also foudn to have a knife in his possession. The aircraft landed, and the passenger was taken into federal custody. Now, here's my question: HOW can someone go through security at SEA with fireworks? Quite a frightening thought ...

timbotch

RE: Alaska Airlines Passenger Arrested For Fireworks

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:35 am

He didn't go through security in Seattle.

AS737900

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:49 am

He went through security at Missoula, MT. This surprises me becuase I fly through there all the time and the screeners are always VERY thorough with me.

UN_B732

Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:49 am

How did he NOT go through security..
The plane was diverted to TUL.
-UN
What now?

jhooper

Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:25 am

People, please don't bring fireworks onboard! They may present a serious safety hazard!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

AvObserver

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:40 am

What sort of mutant throwbacks do we have in our midst that think they can get away with this stuff in this day and age? Is there a segment of the population totally oblivious to what's happened since 9/11? If so, maybe we should find out who they are and corral them all in a detention facility ala the captured Al Queda/Taliban camp in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, ACLU objections be damned! These people are at best, clueless and at worst, a threat, either way, they're dangerous. Jeez, after all that's been drilled into our heads about security, there are still a bunch of knuckle dragging morons who don't get it!  Yeah sure

Capt.Fantastic
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:14 am

Well said Avobserver: A more interesting question is who are the Idiots running the airport security who allow these weapons to get aboard aircraft?

I am most familiar with DTW: I can tell you that the security there is a joke. If I were a clever terrorist, I could eaily bypass the mental migit trainee at the X-ray machine. Even after 9/11, I still feel our nation's airport security is, at best, fair to poor. I personally feel local law enforcement should undertake the role of airport securirty - only problem there is the money.

In Detroit, there are Wayne County Sheriffs patrolling the airport permimeter driving their SUVs and yelling at people to move their vehicles - Conversely, there are rent-a-cop morons screening passengers. Does this make sense? No, it doesn't! But, like in anything else, money comes before safety - even after 911. This is truly truly sad.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos