DFWLandingPath
Topic Author

Who Has The Best Safety Video?

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:50 am

After flying on 6 different airlines in the past month (American, BMI, United, Air Canada, Air France, and British Airways) I started to compare safety videos, yes the ones that are often ignored, and found BMI to be the best. Theirs was unique in that it was computer generated and not some video in which the people look like they fell straight out of the 80's. Any opinions out there as to what is the best safety video for any airline and why?

Cheers,
DFWLandingPath

LHR340

RE: Who Has The Best Safety Video?

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:56 am

Iberia have good safety videos, but I agree BMI's are modern.

LHR340
A340 LoVeR! EC-GQK - LHR The Bussiest International Airport & 3rd Bussiest In The World!

bhxforever

Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:13 am

Virgin Atlantic's are also cartoon style which raised a few eyebrows, it certainly had all of the children on the plane paying attention though!

[Edited 2003-07-05 01:27:58]

eta unknown

Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:19 am

Royal Brunei's are the longest and dullest... 8 minutes long. In the days of flying to Kai Tak, many a time the videos were still playing when the aircraft was rolling down the runway!

However, my vote goes to UTA- at one time they had a French comedian doing the video and ended with... "and don't forget to ensure your tie is perfectly straight after you put on your life jacket!"

MAH4546

Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:26 am

Virgin Atlantic hands down has the best safety videos.
a.

UN_B732

Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:48 am

Austrian is really, really funny on the A330-200
Like, please put your tray in, and a guys tie gets stuck in the tray.
And other little humorous things.
-UN
What now?

Demoose

Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:14 am

Yeah bmi's seemed pretty good, also seem to remember Emirates being quite good too, but with an over the top English accent from the woman voicing it.

Take a ride...fly across the sky

Continental

Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:13 am

Lufthansa's are nice. They have the little guy (I forget his name, does anyone else know it!?), that does all the safety procedures on screen.

co

PerthGloryFan

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:46 am

Just recently I was entertained by Air Mauritius's safety video - fairly ordinary actually except for 2 parts.

First, with the warning about being careful when opening the overhead lockers - the actor is clearly anticipating a bag to fall out onto him, which it does of course - he would have been a bit bruised if the shot required a number of takes - maybe it was a stuntman?

And second, during the bit about de-pressurisation and using the oxygen masks pax are warned not to sleep on the floor because they can't reach the masks from there, it's accompanied by footage of a slumbering local on the floor in a bulkhead row being woken up by a flight attendant; always got a few chuckles. There's no mention of the fact that said pax would also find themselves on the ceiling if the plane was hit by CAT, although that would also apply to someone sleeping across a couple of seats with the armrests up I guess.

PGF

speedbirdyvr

Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:37 pm

Qantas - without a doubt! This airline takes safety seriously, perhaps more than any other airline in the world. It's safety video is done in tandem with a live demonstration by the FA's. The video is also done in the local language of the destination/origin - even in far-flung countries that they serve just twice a week on a 763!!!

hugo

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:15 pm

KLM. Their video is very clear and concise, serious but not alarming.

UnitedFirst

Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:29 pm

I have to say that I totally agree with UN_B732 regarding Austrian's safety video...I'm not sure if it's only used on the A330/A340-INT, but it's absolutely hysterical. This guy is a total klutz and he's trying to get with this woman throughout the safety video. It rocks!

The worst safety video I've ever seen? I flew Air Canada right after the merger with Canadian, and did a YYZ-YYC flight on an ex-Canadian Boeing 767-300ER. The safety video was not the Air Canada one (which is in fact regularly updated and classy), but Canadian's...

All I can say is WOAH! The safety video was circa 1987, and it was such a skit! My mother and I were laughing hysterically at all of the "visual double entendres" (if you can make sense of that phrase) throughout the quick flick. Examples? I have NEVER in my life seen such form (in a safety video, at least  Smile ...) while blowing into the tubes on the life vest! And the look the flight attendant gives the passenger when he wants him to put his seat up? Woah...save it for those long and lonely trans-Pac runs, boys!

United's just plain sucks – at least the Canadian one was hysterical! United's has obviously just been updated instead of refilmed (ie, a cheap animation of the United First domestic seats is included to demonstrate the floor lighting system). Of course, United's excused due to their current situation.

Great Safety Videos: Air Canada, Austrian Airlines

Horrid Safety Videos: Canadian (but I'm thinking that's not an issue any longer...), United

...However, what United loses in terms of crappy safety videos, it makes up for in terms of legitimate in-flight entertainment:

-Derek

airmale

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:35 pm

Dont know about the best, but the worst has fgot to be PIA's, a hideous amateur computer animated one, ridiculous is the only word I can think of.
.....up there with the best!

chrisrad

Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:47 pm

Malaysia Airlines has to have one of the funniest, the opening I find amusing the captain turns around to face the camera with this cheesy grin, and slightly out of sync with the video, says"......Welcome to Malaysia Airlines..." obviously not his voice either! And during the oxygen masks demo, they show a family so calmly put on the masks like nothing has happened, and of course everything is in soft focus and golden hued lighting!
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

ZSSNC

Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:49 pm

Speedbirdyvr,

are you absolutely positive that QF is doing the safety demonstration in the local language of the destination they serve on every flight? If that is true, I am not looking forward to hearing the safety demonstrations in South Africas 11 official languages this summer onboard QF63.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

mats

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:33 pm

I've heard that in preparation for an emergency landing, the cabin crew show a video. Is this the SAME as the regular pre-flight demo, or is there a separate "uh-oh" video?

Also,
I haven't flown on United in 5 years, but they used to have the most beautiful safety video introduction. It had the word "Welcome" in flowing words across a blue cloth background set to "Rhapsody in Blue." From an artistic standpoint, it was impressive. I wonder if anyone made a copy...

DFWLandingPath
Topic Author

Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:56 pm

On the same note as Mats question about a copy of the United video, is there any website or person who has any copies of any safety videos in general?

Cheers
DFWLandingPath

LPL

Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:28 am

Aer Lingus. I like the expression on the man's face when he is told to put his cigarette out.

UN_B732

Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:30 am

Aeroflot safety video, when the person is blowing up a life vest, it clearly says "Property of Lufthansa!" the video itself is mediocre...very serious, but where it says Property of Lufthansa makes you suspicous.
-UN
What now?

flymia

Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:42 am

Virgin is the best for sure!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

dc-10 levo

Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:45 am

I've enjoyed VS' safety videos the most. They're cartoon style so they keep the kids interested too.

DC-10

flyua

Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:50 am

Dear Mats and DFWLandingPath:

...I might know someone who happens to have a copy of a few of United's aircraft safety videos!  Big grin

mats

Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:35 am

Flyua,
Email me.
-Mats.

DFWLandingPath
Topic Author

Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:58 am

Flyua:

Dito to Mats

Cheers,
DFWLandingPath

mattnrsa

Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:39 am

Unless they've changed it, I remember Qantas played their safety video with the flight attendants standing at the live demo positions in the aisle. At certain points in the video, the screen would display something like "Please watch the flight attendants", and the flight attendants would demonstrate the seat belt, oxygen masks, and life vests. I always thought this was strange. If showing a video, why not have the video show everything the way other airlines do? Do they still do that?

DoorsToManual

Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:05 am

Have to agree with those who have seen the Virgin one - it's not the cartoon aspect I like, it's the dose of humour one receives from watching it..I'll never forget that "snap" when the guy fits his oxygen mask over his face! Hilarious...

BA is, and always has been predictably boring....

Emirates used to have a great one on their A310s/A300s, with the first 5 minutes being simply "Airport action Dubai", and the closing scene with that A300-600 rolling along on take-off. Now it's pretty boring, just 5 seconds of whatever aircraft you're flying inflight, then the feature begins...at least that annoying English FA doesn't appear anymore...her accent gave me the creeps.

Singapore Airlines was a total disappointment, in fact the video is practically a repeat, regardless of what aircraft you fly, with the exception of the escape diagrams.

I've seen the Computer graphic stuff on Germanwings...haven't really formed an opinion, although GW's particular video is well, predictably humourless too.

Have not flown BMI to the US, so no idea what their video is, I don't remember watching anything on their A320.

speedbirdyvr

Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:23 am

"Unless they've changed it, I remember Qantas played their safety video with the flight attendants standing at the live demo positions in the aisle. At certain points in the video, the screen would display something like "Please watch the flight attendants", and the flight attendants would demonstrate the seat belt, oxygen masks, and life vests. I always thought this was strange. If showing a video, why not have the video show everything the way other airlines do? Do they still do that? "

Mattnrsa, I don't think most passengers are like you and me. The average joe blow has problems following instructions, especially if it's not a live demo. I think any airline that's serious about safety should treat their pax with kid gloves.

" are you absolutely positive that QF is doing the safety demonstration in the local language of the destination they serve on every flight? If that is true, I am not looking forward to hearing the safety demonstrations in South Africas 11 official languages this summer onboard QF63."

Quite positive about this, but not in every language of the country, just the national language. So if you fly from Beijing to Sydney, you will hear mandarin and not cantonese, szechuan, fookien, shanghainese, etc, etc, etc......

UN_B732

Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:21 am

Hey Flyua! E-mail me at cutekid_vt@yahoo.com
-UN
What now?

VirginFlyer

Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:19 am

I'd say Qantas could have one of the corniest ones. "Your safety checklist", complete with onscreen check boxes...

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

VS11

Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:59 am

Virgin Atlantic, of course.... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

eta unknown

Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:16 am

SQ is good for the anticipated blowjob Singapore girl might provide judging by the way they blow up the lifevest!

Dan6681

Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:30 pm

I'm not a huge fan of VS because of their seat pitch in Y and their inconsistent service in Y but there Safety Video is the best I have ever seen.
EWR-SIN 18.5hrs bring it on!

Leezyjet

Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:08 am

Just out of interest, it took alot of convincing the CAA to approve the VS cartoon style video. The CAA thought it was making a mockery of inflight safety, until VS managed to convince them that in trials it actually got more people to watch it than watched the old one !!. (Also cost a fortune to make too).

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"