I LOVE EWR
Topic Author

Article:IFE Linked To Linked To Scores Of Problems

Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:03 pm

This article was on the front of USATODAY today. Take a look for yourself...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-07-08-plane-cover_x.htm

N79969

RE: Article:IFE Linked To Linked To Scores Of Problems

Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:13 pm

The logical extension of some of those arguments would be to remove reading lights because of the incremental risk created by the wiring and other electrical apparatus to make those work. I don't buy it.

However I do agree that more robust oversight over STC work is necessary as the electrical architecture of airplanes are changed to accomodate the more sophisticated IFE systems.

MD-11 forever

Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:14 pm

Just one quote from the USATODAY article:
"Manufacturers insist that the most sophisticated entertainment systems, as well as older ones, are safe and meet FAA standards. They blame the type installed on Swissair, which was banned a year after the crash, for giving everyone in the industry a bad name. "

The manufacturers that insist on this should be aware, that the system that was involved in the Swissair crash also was FAA certfied and therefore supposedly met all the design criteria and standards. The real danger is, that obviously there are some flaws in those certification and design requirements. So to me the bad name on the industry is not that unjustified as they want this to appear......

Cheers, Thomas

zrb2

Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:25 am

I've thought and have read about this issue since the Swissair crash a few years ago. Nothing in this article surprises me but this is a serious issue and should not be blown off. I'm glad when the press runs articles like this. I like IFE as much as the next person but do I feel it's necessary to jam miles of wire in an aircraft for this luxury? NO. In the future, maybe they'll come up with a wireless solution. As for now, if even one incident happens over the next few years that results in a crash or in-flight fire due to a smoldering IFE unit, then having these complex systems in planes is clearly a big mistake.

richierich

Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:33 am

IFE is actually very safe, and the FAA mandates that. Swissair was extremely unfortunate and tragic, but had they been over land, they might have made it.
Having seatback TVs or monitors for movies have been around for 10+ years now on some carriers, with only a handful of problems.
I DO think that airlines should pay attention to IFE systems and any problems (ie., warm or hot wiring, etc.), but I think that IFE is only one item on a whole laundry list of things that can go wrong in the air. This article blew it WAY out of proportion because of Swissair 111.
When I fly, I get more concerned about the buildup of jet vapors in the fuel tank, which combined with bad wiring (not IFE related!) brought down a 747.
None shall pass!!!!