I LOVE EWR
Topic Author

Alaskan Airlines Changes In Policy And Service?

Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:46 am

In the next few weeks Alaskan Airlines will be making an announcement announcing changes with its Upgrade Policy for Elites (which is very liberal) and possibly a more 'Business' Orientated Premium Cabin. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

m717

RE: Alaskan Airlines Changes In Policy And Service?

Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:53 am

Alaskan Airlines?

Who are they? Maybe partners with American West?  Insane

as739x

Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:08 am

Whats up with the people on in the NYC area? Why do they call us Alaskan, last I checked we had not changed our name. many pilots have told be that the NYC approach controllers say the same thing. Are you from that area I LOVE EWR? Can you tell me why people there cant get our name right?
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Tango-Bravo

Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:10 am

In response to the original question concerning upgrade policies, from information provided by a reliable source I can say that I would be very surprised if we don't see major reform announced within the next 60 days -- perhaps much sooner. Yes, Alaska's current policy is not only very liberal, it is absurd to the point of having become self-defeating.

I LOVE EWR
Topic Author

Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:18 am

AHHHHH!!!! I am VERY sorry about the N I added at the end of ALASKA Airlines.

Yes AS739X, I am very close to NYC and I do have a slight New York/New Jersey Accent so it might be a regional thing  Big grin

Sorry about that little thing Embarrassment

Does anyone have more specifics with this change in policy?

EA CO AS

Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:44 pm

All I can say is that one of the major reasons for changing their current upgrade policies is that the last-minute fliers who typically pay the higher fares rarely end up being able to upgrade, since the First Class cabin gets overrun with other FF members who have purchased advance-notice, discount fares and then upgraded themselves.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LoneStarMike

Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:03 pm

From Alaska's Website:

In addition to those savings, we're currently evaluating longer-term ideas that we believe may result in another $75 million in permanent annual savings.

We're looking at virtually everything, both big and small. Not everything will be adopted — what we're aiming for is a combination of ideas that generate the savings or increase revenue without hurting our standing with customers. Included among these ideas are:

a. charging for reservations and main cabin mealsb. eliminating the First Class cabin on all aircraftc. outsourcing certain functionsd. eliminating marginal routese. renegotiating lease rates on aircraft

Again, those are just ideas, not decisions, but they and dozens of other things under consideration underscore the sober reality we face.

As stated, nothing has been set in stone, but these are just various ideas they are considering.

LoneStarMike