atcboy73

Will FedEX IND Ever Be As Big As MEM?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:26 am

I have been looking over flightarrivals.com and Flytecomm, tracking the number of operations FedEx has at MEM and IND. MEM is clearly much much bigger than IND and I am wondering if there are any plans to expand the IND operation in the near future, say in the next two or three years?

dsuairptman

RE: Will FedEX IND Ever Be As Big As MEM?

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:03 am

Hell or something like it will have to freeze over before FedEX starts new hubs.
It was an entire cost control method that has them operating a super-hub in MEM, which is all they need.

I also doubt UPS would expand at IND, much too close to their op at SDF.
GEAUX SAINTS!

yyz717

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:32 am

There are expansion limits at MEM including runway limitations, and cargo processing space that will inhibit long term growth. My understanding is that IND has more room for expansion & could emerge larger than MEM for Fedex in due course.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Racers22

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:48 am

There are rumors that FedEx may expand at IND and take over the old United maintenance hangar. I heard this from a few old coworkers that are now over at their sorting facility at IND, but these are only rumors so take it for what it's worth.

syncmaster

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:51 am

All I know is that it would be nice if FedEx were to expand there operations at IND, I think there is a lot of potential there. Not to mention all the great benefits involved in doing so, close to major industrial areas and pretty much centerally located in the US.

ZID

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:40 pm

Indy is currently FedEx's second largest hub with about half the flights of Memphis, and there are plans by FedEx to expand the Indy hub. In fact, the primary reason for the I-70 realignment and lowering is to provide FedEx with an additional 100 acres of space, and to provide for a taxiway to the planned third parallel runway which has been requested by FedEx as a prerequisite for their expansion. But I doubt that Indy will ever be allowed to eclipse Memphis. The people in charge of FedEx are hometown Memphians with too much pride in their HQ city to let Indy get that big.
I'm not joking! This is my job!

TheGov

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:48 pm

FWIW, The Memphis/Shelby County Airport Authority is working with the Department of Defense to relocate the Tennessee Air National Guard to the south side (I believe) of the airport. In doing so, that would open up additional space for FedEx to expand their operations in MEM. So, if IND is shooting for #1, they might just have to wait a little longer in things get worked out on the north side of the field.
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

usairways85

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:03 pm

Don't forget FedEx's plans with GSO in the next 10 years. FedEx seems interested in building up operations to GSO eventually and even handle the 380's, if they still take their orders.

ZID

Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:07 am

GSO will be a regional hub, along the same lines as EWR and OAK, although probably somewhat smaller than those two, given the region it will be serving.

[Edited 2003-07-15 18:08:00]
I'm not joking! This is my job!

PW100

Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:31 am

Does IND also handle international hub flights [CDG?]?
Will it see A380 operations? Actually, I was wondering which Fedex stations are likely to see A380 ops?

PW100

Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

gsoflyer

Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:50 am

Regional hub is part of it, FedEx officials have been quoted in the newspapers saying there will also be flights to Europe from here as well though. Which is why runways are being lengthened to handle the A380 flights, if those happen.