James Strong QF Ceo Is An Idiot

Mon Dec 13, 1999 9:17 am

I heard the most ludicrous statement by James Strong Qantas CEO yesterday. He said the introduction of Virgin Express could destroy the aviation industry of Australia!!!

Well Richie, i dont know whether you should be flattered or insulted.

God forbid the skies of Australia would become competitive. But maybe Mr Strong was just scare-mongering to prevent any competition from arriving.

Al

RE: James Strong QF Ceo Is An Idiot

Mon Dec 13, 1999 10:41 am

This is, after all, the same airline that suddenly announces that a certain route is unprofitable or barely running at break even when someone wants to come onto it or something affects the route. Both the Kangaroo and the Pacific routes have been described as such in past years when the need arose, but never since or before!!
James is not so stoopid - he'll be off with a nice fat performance cheque and bonus cheques as well as his retirement when all the fallout from the massive restructuring he's engineered occurs down the track. It'll be some other poor bunny that's left to pick up the pieces and try again.
I'm actually surprised at Ansett's calm and rationale response to Virgin's move - they're also quick to squeal like stuck pigs at times! They've left it to QF to stick their feet in their mouth and to bear the brunt of the public's "anger" at the two big bullies!
Cheers. Al.

QF1

Mon Dec 13, 1999 2:06 pm

I am actually surprised that Ansett hasn't had a more public response to Virgin Australia because, correct me if i'm wrong, but Ansett have more to lose from Richard Branson's venture then Qantas. Qantas still have there large international network to help bring them profit, while Ansett rely largely on there domestic flights. Also, Qantas have a much larger and more developed regional network with thier 4 wholly owned subsidiary airlines (Southern, Eastern, Airlink and Sunstate).

Mon Dec 13, 1999 4:01 pm

By introducing competition, surely, at least for passengers, Richard Branson can be doing nothing but good for the Australian air market.

Qantas is used to no - or little - competition - and those people at QF don't seem to respond well to any competition.

Maybe Qantas needs to be brought into the real world sooner or later? Even in Europe, British Airways sheilds Qantas like a little baby. It should be made to stand on its own two feet.

Maybe Qantas should take a lesson from an airline such as Delta or United? Both manage just fine in the most competitive airline market in the world - and they are far more successful that Qantas could / would ever be!

Qantas needs to wake up and realize that they cannot live the same 'cushy life' for ever!

v jet

Mon Dec 13, 1999 4:32 pm

Sorry but I cant let this crap go unchallenged.
Sp-deluxe - James Strong cannot be called stupid. He completely turned around TAA/Australian Airlines during his time there so that TN gained market share from Ansett. Look at what he has done at Qantas since privitisation.
DLMD-11. Can you please provide a concrete example of how British Airways
"shields" Qantas in Europe? You obviously have very little knowledge of Qantas and its workings. Have you actually read of the profits Qantas has made since being privatised while facing intense competition on many routes especially the Kangaroo Route? Any privitised company responsible to shareholders does not lead a cushy life. I would very much like to see the response of Delta or United or any other US carrier if the US Government suddenly allowed a foreign airline to begin operations in direct competition. Do you really beliveve they would sit there and not say a word?
James Strong is just doing what any CEO in the same situation would do and that is defend his and the shareholders interests . I'm certain you will find that Qantas will meet any challenge head on and make a very good go of it.
Regards
Maurice

QF1

Mon Dec 13, 1999 5:11 pm

Maurice,
Here here.
Couldn't have said it better myself.