PER744
Topic Author

Overcharged By AA? Good Luck Getting A Refund

Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:15 pm

Last week I bought a ticket through AA's Sydney reservations centre. The amount they charged to my credit card was more than what I'd been told, signed an authorisation for and received a receipt for.

After spending about an hour on the phone today, most of it to the Sales Manager for Australia, they still refused to refund the extra amount, telling me my only option was to dispute the charge with my bank.

I didn't even get an apology, and the Sales Manager was blaming Ansett, the government and the banks, but never agreed that AA should only charge what they're authorised to.

I find it extremely disappointing after being a faithful AA customer. I've always found the staff excellent, it's a shame they're let down by their Australian counterparts.

flyingbronco05

RE: Overcharged By AA? Good Luck Getting A Refund

Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:53 pm

You do have a good case here.

If your receipt says XX amount yet your credit card was charged YY amount, I say keep fighting it. I do love AA but they stole from you. Go after them.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

Greg

Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:41 am

Wow...I got two refunds from them within 30 days of ticketing (during the last year)

I think in your case, it's being unduly complicated by foreign currency and foreign banks.

tekelberry

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:25 am

Try calling the US office, 800-433-7300. If they can't do anything for you, make sure to complain about the Australia office and asked to be put through to Customer Relations.

You may also contact AA via e-mail.

Refunds: https://www.aa.com/apps/utility/contactAA/EmailRefund.jhtml

Customer Relations: https://www.aa.com/apps/utility/contactAA/EmailCustomerRelations.jhtml

Depts. Phone #s:

Refunds: 918-254-3777 (8:00 AM - 4:30 PM Central Time)

Customer Relations: 817-967-2000 (8:00 AM - 5:30 PM Central Time)

I would e-mail Refunds first and if that doesn't work, e-mail Customer Relations. International phone rates are probably pretty expensive so you'd probably want to try e-mail before you phone the US.

[Edited 2003-07-16 19:27:34]

mbmbos

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:41 am

Have you already paid for it on your charge card? Most credit card companies (here in the States) will allow you to dispute a charge and will act as a mediator between you and the company.

If you haven't paid your charge card bill, I would suggest that you refuse to pay until the dispute is resolved to your satisfaction. Why pay American Airlines and hope that they will ultimately refund you thirty, sixty, ninety days in the future?

UN_B732

Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:49 am

Collect Call AA in the U.S.
-UN
What now?

tekelberry

Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:23 am

Collect Call AA in the U.S.

I don't think you can call collect internationally....besides...their automated phone answering service probably wouldn't know how to respond to the collect call anyways.

PER744
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:24 am

Update:

I called back and spoke to the sales manager yesterday, I offered to let the matter drop so long as I got a refund within 14 days, he was extremely rude and said he'd never commit to anything like that.

I've filed complaints with the ACCC and NSW Office of Fair Trading, and I've disputed the charge with my credit card company.

milemaster

Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:32 pm

Why does AA need a reservations center in a country in which they don't even fly to?

PER744
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:22 pm

For Australians wanting to book any other flights through them. For example I bought a ticket from IND to YOW. However, AA code-share on some of Qantas' flights to LAX.

tekelberry

Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:02 pm

Why didn't you just e-mail AA refunds?

KKMolokai

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:15 am

I'm confused. I'm a ticket agent with AA, and sell tickets daily. If I understand correctly, a ticket price was agreed upon and paid for. A charge slip was signed for XXX amount, and now on your bank statement, a conflicting price is showing? Have you allowed for International currency exchange? Rates do fluctuate until the charge is actually posted to your account. Could this be where the difference is? If so, that is not a AA issue. Also, what currency was the ticket sold in, and what currency is used on your bank statement?
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

PER744
Topic Author

Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:00 pm

KKMolokai: the price was quoted to me in Australian dollars and the fare calculation on the ticket is in Australian dollars, but it was charged to my credit card in US dollars. Exchange rate fluctuated, so I got overcharged. AA don't accept that if they choose to quote in one currency and bill in another then they have to bear the currency risk.

Up until a couple of years ago AA Australia used to charge in Australian dollars.

Tekelberry: I tried every possible avenue with AA Australia. The service I received was disgusting. I don't believe that I should have to chase my way through various departments at AA to get a refund, especially seeing I did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary.

Matt D

Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:04 pm

Hey what can I say? The airlines are in a crunch right now and will do everything they can to keep every dollar they can get, ill gotten or not.

Boeingfan

Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:36 pm

Times are hard at AA, I am sure they will put the additional funds into Executive bonuses. Just figure you got someones Jaguar washed for a week. Sorry to hear your dilema, but it does happen even in the US. Something special in the Air

backfire

Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:36 pm

Is is not the case that if a bank transfers an unauthorised amount of money from your account, then it's the bank which has to bear the responsibility for not checking the numbers?

Take it up with the bank - I've a feeling they have a legal obligation to correct this.

tekelberry

Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:27 pm

PER744,

So let me get this straight - You would rather trust a tiny little division of AA in Australia than to simply e-mail the Refunds division at AA headquarters? The reps in the US have more authority over things like this than Australia does. You really should have simply e-mailed AA Refunds (it takes 2-5 minutes to write out the email, the same time it took you to write this thread) and see where that took you. If they refused to do anything after the e-mail, then it's time for the bank dispute.

[Edited 2003-07-20 12:34:30]

PER744
Topic Author

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:58 pm

Backfire: It was a credit card transaction, AA debited an amount in US dollars that was higher than the equivalent quoted amount in Australian dollars. At no point did they say they'd be debiting in US dollars. AA bear full responsibility.

Tekelberry: I do not trust AA Australia at all, but they are technically the responsible legal entity in Australia, and the company I dealt with. AA chose not to rectify the situation so AA will now have to explain their case to the proper authorities (and they have the Australian manager's name as the responsible person)

In the tough times the industry is going through airlines should realise that their customers are their greatest asset.

united777fan

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:02 am

If you are still having trouble write a letter to the president of AA. In this letter explain the problem and what you want done to resolve the matter. A letter to the president of the company will have a different effect that to the Customer Service Department.

Leej

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:00 am

So you signed a c/c slip in AUS$, and it went through in US$ at a converted rate - which is normal practice - and the exchange rate would have been set by your c/c company. Am I missing something? Did they quote you in AUS$ and run through the transaction as such? How much dd you sign for and how much was taken?

vfw614

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:37 am

Errr, about how much money are we talkin' here ? If it is just the difference resulting from a conversion from AUS$ to US$ done within a couple of days, even for two 1st class tickets it cannot be that much that i would be willing to go through all this hassle...

tekelberry

Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:58 am

How much were you overcharged? I hope we're not wasting our time trying to help you when all it was was $5 or something ridiculous.

PER744 - What's the point of going through the hassle of filing complaints and disputing charges when all you had to do was click a button and type a few keys? Tell them what the price was that you were quoted converted into US dollars for the exchange rate at the time quoted. How can the AA office in a country that doesn't even have AA service have more authority over this than the people in the US?

KKMolokai

Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:37 am

Fluctuation in exchange rate is not an airline issue! When I travel to Europe, I use my credit card everywhere, which is always charged in the local currency. Upon return home to the US, the charge is debited from my card in USD. The currency exchange rate always fluctuates (daily) until the charge is actually posted to the account. That is not an airline issue.

PER744
Topic Author

Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:58 pm

KKMolokai: I live in Australia, the reservations office is in Australia, I was quoted prices only in Australian dollars, received receipts and authorities in Australian dollars, and have previously been charged by AA in Australian dollars. We're talking about approximately 7.5% of ticket value, and thankfully, filing complaints with authorities doesn't involve very much hassle.

If AA quote in one currency and bill in another, it is their responsibility to ensure the price charged is consistent with the price quoted.

hmmmm...

Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:02 pm

I may be confusing the issue here, but there may have been a change in the value of the Australian currency from the time the fair was quoted to the time the fare was charged. They may be in their legal right to do the currency exchange at a time that is different from the time at which you were quoted. By the time that they put the sale through, the Australian dollar decreased in value respective to the US dollar.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

KKMolokai

Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:56 pm

Thank you Hmmmm ... exactly the point I was trying to make. Why is that so hard for Per744 to understand? When I travel to Europe, and I charge something to my credit card in the local currency, I know when I return home, that with the fluctuation in the currency exchange rate, that the charge will differ from what I was charged in the local currency. In other words, if I'm charged $100 in Euros while in Europe, I know that when I return home, I will not receive a credit card charge for $100 USD, rather something along the lines of $120, with the currency exchange rate.

PER744
Topic Author

Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:45 pm

KKMolokai: If AA had told me it would be US$232.26 I would not have an issue. They told me it was A$344.90. Therefore, they should have charged me A$344.90, or its equivalent in US dollars at the date of the transaction. The ticket itself shows an amount of A$344.90, not US$232.26.

tekelberry

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:55 pm

The current conversion rate spits out your USD total of $225.13. Are you seriously arguing about ~$7? I'm not sure you know a lot about the USD but $7 isn't worth disputing for a large purchase such as this, especially when you're dealing with conversion rates.

This is all under the assumption that the totals you gave us are true, but how did you get an AA ticket from Australia for $232? I think you probably purchased an AA US domestic ticket if those amounts are true (I was assuming you were codesharing with Qantas and connecting in LAX to AA).

LBA

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:09 pm

If they had told you the price in US dollars you'd have asked 'what's that in Aus dollars?' - they gave you the price in your home currency - as I'd expect them to do. As for the $7 difference are you sure this isn't a credit card charge? It's normal practice for a 1-3% surcharge to be made by the airline when paying by credit card.

AApilot2b

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:17 pm

I had a very similar situation a few years a go when I purchased a ticket with expedia.com. They double charged my account (I was literally issued two e-tickets for the same flight). It was a very frustrating battle to get my money back and took several months before I was refunded. The only difference was I did not actually sign a receipt for the price a "computer glitch" resulted in a double booking that somehow "they were not responsible for." Needless to say, I have never used expedia.com again. I am a bit surprised to hear that the AA office has been "rude" to you. Here in the States, all my dealings with AA have been very good (and I travel with them a lot). I have talked to people that were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Nonetheless, I know it isn't always that way. I hope you are able to work things out. I know how frustrating it is.

HlywdCatft

Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:51 pm

I have a neighbor who works for an aircraft catering company at MCO- the Company that used to be Dobbs. He told me that AA owes the company $18,000,000.

ouboy79

Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:28 am

You are fighting over 7 freaking dollars that is most likely caused by a conversion rate change? For heaven sakes, you could e-mail AA and probably get a $25 voucher or something to make up for the difference. A couple things i'm confused about...

Did you actually go into a sales office to buy this ticket? If not, how did you sign anything?
Second, why are you reluctant to contact the main office for an american company?

For the amount of time spent in this thread, the issue probably would have been resolved had you e-mailed AA already. The other thing, if all you are doing is dealing with a call center in Australia...why are you wondering why they can't or won't do anything? Call Centers have very little power. If you went into an office to sign your charge slip for this ticket, why didn't you just go back to the office?

I'll admit...after being in a service industry for several years, you will always find people so stubborn that they won't take the common sense route to solve their problems. Instead, they'd rather pound their chest and scream that they are being violated. A few years ago I had the pleasure of working for AOL and was in the position of handling escalated calls (people asked for a supervisor) in the billing queue. After spending 2 years of my life at that company, I learned all of the different attitude and personality types you could possibly run into. Some people were so stubborn that they wouldn't listen to reason...even after the entire situation was explained to them or how to resolve it. They had the answer or resolution they wanted in their mind and would not accept anything until it met what they wanted. 95% of the time their resolution was wrong...but the customer is always right? I dropped that motto after a few weeks.

Some people you can never please. So what do you do? AA has a couple ways to solve it.

Refund the difference through a travel voucher based on good will for the apparent misunderstanding of exchange rates.

Refund the whole ticket and pretty much tell them never to fly AA again.

Maintain the reservation as is and the situation is resolved by your understanding of what actually happened.

Now the thing that I fear most, is that you probably have disputed the charges on your card. As you know, CC companies can't just send back the difference - they send back the entire charge. Once AA receives this your reservation will likely be cancelled out and you'll have to start over. Two other things can happen from this point.

1) AA will send the charge back through as a legit charge and your CC company will agree with them after review of the contract you signed with AA when purchasing your ticket.

2) You will attempt to rebook your reservation and will get a higher air fare due to the previous fare class being sold out or otherwise no longer available.

Stop...breathe and use common sense. Otherwise, you are just going to screw yourself over.

ZSSNC

Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:37 am

I think it is illegal practice if AA issued the ticket in one currency and bills it in another. As a matter of fact, is it allowed in Australia for companies to collect money in a foreign currency? In Germany, e.g. it is illegal for companies, with the exception, if they have special permission from the German central bank, to collect money in any currency other than the Euro. This is to ensure the stability of the own currency.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

redraider

Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:51 am

Would you have paid AA the difference if they had undercharged you instead of overcharged?
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:13 am

The fact of the matter is that AA is not liable here.

When you purchased your ticket via the telephone, the point of sale was the U.S. (since the res agent was in the United States), and therefore you were charged in U.S. currency. Your credit card company then CONVERTED the amount to Australian currency based on that day's exchange rate.

The AA agent, if they discussed any amounts in Australian dollars, was only giving you an estimate of the value in AUD as a courtesy. The amout quoted at time of sale was in USD.

AA is under no obligation to offer you a refund of any sort. Stop your whining.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ZSSNC

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:12 am

EA CO AS,

PER744 wrote that he bought the ticket through AA's SYD reservations centre. So the fare has to be charged in AUD.

ZSSNC
Airbus A340-600 - the longest temptation in the sky

KKMolokai

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:43 am

I give up! Some just don't get it!

EA CO AS, you're absolutely correct!

KKMolokai

Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:52 am

If I sell a ticket to a visitor in the U.S., the credit card charge will ALWAYS be in USD funds. Upon return home to his/her own country, when that individual receives his credit card charge for the transaction I did for him/her in the USA, it will reflect on his credit card statement in the equivalent currency plus/minus the current currency exchange rate, and vise-versa.

Get out and travel more, and perhaps it won't be so confusing to you!

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:10 am

EA CO AS,

PER744 wrote that he bought the ticket through AA's SYD reservations centre. So the fare has to be charged in AUD.

ZSSNC,

To my knowledge, AA does not have a reservations office in SYD. PER744 most likely dialed a local number in SYD that patched him in to AA's reservations network, getting him a reservations sales agent at one of their U.S. reservations centers.

Again, this makes the point of sale within the U.S. and therefore the ticket price would be in U.S. currency, converted to AUD by PER744's credit card company later. The conversion would be done at whatever that day's exchange rate was, which can fluctuate and lead to some discrepancies in what a person's charge card ultimately reflects.

A difference of a mere $7.00AUD is totally understandable when taking these things into account. With all due respect, PER744 is making a mountain out of a molehill and needs to get on with his life.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

tekelberry

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:21 am

EA CO AS,

You're wrong.

http://www.aa.com/content/aboutAA/whereWeFly/internationalTickets/australia.jhtml

But I do agree with you that this is ridiculous. He is going through more hassle than he has to and what is worth.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:34 am

EA CO AS,

You're wrong.

Actually, no I'm not. The General Sales Agent (GSA) in SYD is the equivalent to a local City Ticket Office. They provide ticketing information IN PERSON ONLY. They do NOT take reservations telephone calls; those ARE patched into the U.S. reservations network. So, it's impossible that he spoke with a reservations agent in Australia by telephone.

A quote from the preceding AA.com page about the GSAs. Be sure to note the boldfaced type:

The links below will provide information for customers needing travel or customer service assistance in person within the countries listed. Please note that a General Sales Agent (GSA) may handle these functions on behalf of American Airlines in some locations.

This was verified with an AA reservations supervisor.

cmckeithen

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:01 am

Did you take into consideration that the fare could have been charged in Australian currency. That would differ slightly in the amount charged for the fare.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:12 am

Did you take into consideration that the fare could have been charged in Australian currency.

The only problem is that when the ticket is SITI (sold inside, ticketed inside), you CANNOT charge in a foreign currency. It's got to be ticketed in U.S. funds.

PER744
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2003 2:16 pm

AA have an office in Sydney. I'd be quite surprised if I've been lucky enough to be patched through to 5 different employees in America, who all had Australian accents. The authorisation form was emailed to me when I made the booking, which I then signed and faxed back. I didn't deal only with call centre staff, but also the accounts manager for Australia and the sales manager for Australia. The latter advised me that he is the most senior person in Australia, and refused to provide any contact details for anyone at AA in the US.

Therefore, the ticket was sold outside the US. The ticket has the fare in Australian dollars printed on it. It was printed and mailed from Sydney also. The ONLY part of the entrie transaction to go through the US was the actual billing. This was done because AA lost their merchant agreement with Visa in Australia.

The reservations agent was NOT in the US. There was no US dollar fare quoted at all. The amount is about US$12. It's not a huge amount, but it is significant enough.

Disputing the charge with my credit card company is the only avenue AA suggested I should go through. They refused to look into it internally.

I have found AA staff in the US to be excellent.

All of you professing as to why I am wrong should confirm their facts first. For example, you cannot just assumed I was patched through to reservations in the US, when it is a fact that I was dealing with Australians located in Australia.

The issue obviously is of significance because as soon as I reported it to the ACCC I was advised that the issue "is significant on a national level aswell as an individual level as their processes seem to be both unethical and in breach of current legislation".

This post was meant to serve as a warning for anyone booking through AA Australia to check their credit card statements carefully.

It is also worth noting that the amount charged in US dollars would not have been equivalent to what I was quoted in Australian dollars at any time during the week of the purchase and charge, as the Australian dollar has not been that high in over 3 years.

KKMolokai

Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:32 pm

PER744,

I think you finally answered your own question. You were quoted a fare in the Australian Dollar (as you should have been), however, as you stated, the charge was posted within the US, in US funds ... thus the equivalent exchange rate would apply in this transaction, as with any credit card transaction between two countries.

Your gripe should not be with the merchant (who has absolutely nothing to do with the exchange rate), rather with the credit card company. Perhaps they can explain it to you in a manner in which you can comprehend.

PER744
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:19 pm

KKMolokai: I disagree, as do the laws in Australia. The contract was legally formed in NSW, Australia. Hence, the contract must be carried out according to the laws in that state.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:44 pm

I hope AA simply refunds your entire ticket and tells you to take your business elsewhere.

ouboy79

Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:46 pm

This reminds me of a lady I had to deal with at AOL. She was charged an extra 48 cents because her kid went into a premium gaming area. She wanted it refunded because she only agreed to pay $9.95 a month. Needless to say, as soon as the personal attacks and hostility started...I stopped being nice. She let the word "cancel" leak out of her mouth during her screaming and I simply asked her if she wanted everything cancelled out and she just screamed yes. Click - thanks for playing. After I did that..."What did you do? I didn't want to cancel." She then started to rant on how she is going to sue AOL and call the attorney general and all...I told her to go for it and have fun.  Smile

This whole thing seems nothing more than twisting facts around to serve a purpose. I'm sure whom ever in the ACCC that received the call doesn't know the whole story and therefore was just giving a response based on what he was told. I'm sure after review of all the facts a couple things will happen:

- A lot of time was wasted on this thread.
- Someone will have a lot of egg on their face and never post here again.
- American will keep their money.
- There will be no traveling on American since the charges were disputed and therefore will kill the reservation...and since the charges are valid, AA will still be entitled to the money from the credit card company. Long story short...AA gets their money...CC Company is going to want their money...instead of being "out" $7-12...you'll be out a couple hundred.

Suck it up just write an e-mail to AA corporate and get your drink coupon or travel voucher that'll make up the difference. This isn't worth the headaches and stress.

eta unknown

Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:55 am

Rick Walker, the AA General Manager in Australia, is probably just sick and tired of dealing with you.

N202PA

Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:12 am

I don't see the problem that everyone seems to have with PER744's complaint. An Australian calls the Australian representatives of American and gets a fare quoted in Australian dollars. Somehow, it shows up as being billed in American dollars. News flash: the company receiving the funds has the responsibility to bill the credit card company properly, not the credit card company. So if they entered the transaction in Australian dollars, it would show up as being billed in Australian dollars. If they entered it in American dollars, it shows up as being billed in American dollars (as apparently, it did).

PER, if you've got the time and energy, keep pressing them until you get a satisfactory answer.