englandair

BD To Go Longhaul From LHR Within A Few Years?!

Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:30 am

Hi

As I approach 19 I get more and more excited at the thought that after (what seems like) an eternity of waiting, I can soon apply to be cabin crew! How does this relate to BD going longhaul I hear think...!

Basically I want to be able to go long haul, but not too often! A mix of long and short haul flights would be perfect for me as I'd get to travel, get to meet loads of people, but won't live the majority of my life away from the people I love!

With BA cabin crew either get assigned on the long or short haul fleets- no mix. VS is of course all longhaul, and BD is only longhaul from MAN. However
I live right next to LHR so going BD from MAN or charter airlines from LGW are out of the question.

Anyways I'm digressing... basically BD would be perfect for me if only they flew L/H out of London. They had big plans for LHR before Sept 11th and even if B2 wasn't scrapped it's thought they'd have flown to non US destinations from the capital. So what are their plans now? I think that within the next 2 years they'll either add more longhaul routes from the UK or scrap L/H all together. Will London get a look in if B2 remains intact....?

Thanks for any opinions or advice!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

L.1011

RE: BD To Go Longhaul From LHR Within A Few Years?!

Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:44 am

bmi would along with Conti, Delta, NWA, and USAirways over here, would LOVE to see them scrap that piece of idiocy known as B2. Perhaps with T5 opening there is hope.
Cheers from the USA Britains closest ally!

Capital146

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:04 am

I'd love to see BD flying transatlantic from LHR, along with CO, DL, NW, US and whoever else wants to join in, just like we have in the EU and US domestic, but I think there won't be much progress until B2 is finally scrapped and gives the people that matter, ie the consumer, the proper competition they should be getting from LHR.
Hopefully the end of B2 will also signal an increase in transatlantic scheduled flights from MAN and GLA who have a very restricted service at present when compared to LHR.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Ikarus

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:25 am

Last thing I remember reading in these forums was speculation regarding Toronto and Dubai.

Haven't heard anything in ages...

DoorsToManual

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:37 am

"charter airlines from LGW are out of the question."

Why? They might even pay you more. Jeeze, even Ryanair pays MUCH more than BD.

Just letting you know....BTW, you do know the salary for CC is quite low, right? About 9.5k year - you can't live in London on that!

Sorry if I sound pessimistic - I'm really just trying to be realistic.

My ambition is to be a pilot, but at the moment I can't because of financial incapacity plus the fact that no airlines are sponsoring (other than easyjet, whose tests I failed  Crying ).

ANYWAY, there ARE better options out there. I'm also thinking of doing CC now, but BD only accept those with 1 year's customer service experience. Their salary is a joke, their routes ex-London are few and boring - try someone else!! BA may be recruiting soon, otherwise you could consider the low-cost airlines (VERY hard work, but much better paid).

Anyway, good luck with whoever you choose!!  Big thumbs up

gigneil

RE: BD To Go Longhaul From LHR Within A Few Years?

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:39 am

Hopefully the end of B2 will also signal an increase in transatlantic scheduled flights from MAN and GLA who have a very restricted service at present when compared to LHR.

I'm not aware of there being any restrictions on MAN and GLA... the restricted service they have is due to demand, I don't think its regulatory.

N

Arsenal@LHR

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:28 am

Until B2 get's sorted out BD won't be flying long haul. But i hope they won't give up their quest to fly from long haul from Heathrow, B2 will eventually be revised and we'll see BD,CO,DL,NW and US flying UK-US routes from LHR in addition to BA,UA,AA, and VS.

Now that's what you call competition!
In Arsene we trust!!

trintocan

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:45 am

Certainly BD could fly long-haul from LHR to destinations other than the USA. Have they considered doing that at all?

TrintoCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

LH423

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:53 am

As much as i'd love to see LHR opened up, there's more than just B2 to think about. What about the fact that LHR's terminal capacity is near breaking until T5 is completed in a couple of years. BMI has little less to worry about since they're already a dominant carrier at LHR, but until T5 is built, T3 is about at capacity, and T4 is so full that BA is moving their JNB and NRT flights to T1 (to complement MIA being at T3) until T5 is built. There's just no room for the US carriers at LHR (at least not on the scale they'd like).

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

DoorsToManual

Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:10 am

How 'bout moving to Gatwick?

David_itl

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:20 pm

Why would BD operate them from LGW when they have no flights from there to feed the flights?

As for regional operations being unaffected by Bermuda II, it's true but MAN did say that there would be a certain reticence for airlines to introduce and/or expand regional operations lest the CAA/UK government argue that it's not necessary to open up LHR. (Here's a hint of what may happen...when BA/AA partnership was first mooted, our local paper quoted the AA sales manager for the north of England as saying he expected MAN to JFK, MIA, DFW & ORD to be introduced/or have increased frequency).

David

BestWestern

Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:54 pm

Many many airlines have crew bases in London. Emirates, Air France, Aer Lingus for example - although you will end up flying either short haul or long haul. Long Haul for cabin crew is easier than short haul - more time off!
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

englandair

Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:55 am

DoorsToManual,

The reason charters and LCCs are out of the question is because I live literally 15 minutes away from Heathrow and don't have the time or money to take the 50+ minute journey to Gatwick 4 or 5 times a week! It would cost a bomb & I'd be stuck in traffic half my life!

I know that the salary isn't even the salt on the peanuts, but it's what I've always wanted to do! I'd much rather have a job I'll enjoy and get paid next to nothing,than have my wallet bulging but dread getting up each day!
I don't live in central London but, as I said, near LHR and I already live comfortably on a salary similar to that of cabin crew, so that's not a problem!

Bestwestern,

That's what I thought, but when I researched LHR bases it appears not! Emirates for example state on their website that all FAs are Dubai based. Same with GF & QR. Only foreign airline I found with LHR base that's hiring is NZ but you must have previous experience. I believe United have LHR based FA's, but they aint gonna be hiring soon!

Thanks everyone else for your help and info!